The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

10 posts Page 1 of 1
I can't believe I'm admitting this, after all this time, but I don't think I've ever quite realised how many calories there are in pasta! :oops:

Last night I weighed out 100g of penne for a meal for two of us, and couldn't believe what a pathetic amount we got for our 355 calories. I even had to double check what it said on the packaging on my calorie counter app. I've eaten pasta nearly all my life and even lived in Italy for a year, but I was also a seasoned dieter when I was younger, so I've no idea how this has flown under my radar!! :confused:

This could be the thing that has been killing my weight loss progress, by eating way too big portions on feed days.

So I'm now turning over a new leaf. I'm not giving up pasta but I'm definitely going to weigh it out from now on. :grin:
I adore pasta and yes, it is pretty high. A bowl of 125g can look pretty paltry though can't it?!
Save it for those special days when you can have it with a nice glass of red!
I bulk it out with courgette "pasta"...tastes great!
Are you weighing before or after you cook though. 1 cup of uncooked pasta is usually abour 100g (fusilli twists and the like) and that is actually quite a large amount when cooked.
I made the same mistake as you for years and only caught on a few weeks ago. I like a small portion of it with fish for my fast day. Staying still well within my limit. On normal days I will not weigh it but I am now very aware of just how many calories they have.

For a fast day I would weigh out 70g uncooked which then becomes 155g cooked. Quite filling with a bit of fish like "Bake to Perfection Haddock Fillets with white wine, wholegrain mustard & spring onion sauce". This is a total of 417kcal and very filling.
I got into weighing pasta when doing weight watchers and used to allocate 60g dried pasta for a serving, which was enough but not a huge amount. Agree bulking out with veggies is a good idea, and wholemeal pasta should help it go further too (although it does taste a bit worthy).

I still weigh pasta now as I'm useless at doing it by eye - don't tend to eat it on non-fast days but would tend to use about 150g dried for me & hubby - he's very slim so I try and get him to eat more than me!
@jmousey - yes, I weighed 100g dry, but that was for two of us, but I could easily have eaten it all myself! :bugeyes:

Thanks for the tips, carorees and alexandra ...

@greenmonster - yes I used to eat only wholemeal pasta (in my student days I was a bit 'hardcore' then) but my OH doesn't like it, sadly.

Oh well, onwards! :grin:
Not everyone likes them, but I LOVE zero noodles!

I used to eat pasta probably 4-5 times a week but can't remeber the last time I had it now, I actually PREFER zero noodles :shock:

I've just bought 24 packs from here http://zero-noodles.co.uk/product-category/buy/
although I've only bought in bulk like that because I live abroad & I know I'll use them all - you'd be better off trying 1 pack from Holland & Barret first :lol:
When I read recipes that have pasta in, they often state something in the region of 360g dried pasta between 4 people. This has genuinely always seemed exhorbitant to me!

I've only ever cooked 100g of dried pasta for two people - I know the calories aren't exactly low, but any less than that is a side dish, not a main course!!!
Me too! I was astonished at how many cals are in the carbs that I used to eat masses of: rice, bread and pasta. I thought I had a reasonable idea as to the relative calories of foods until I actually started measuring and weighing them.
10 posts Page 1 of 1