The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Ready made soups
22 Oct 2013, 11:04
On my fast days, well, on 2 of my 3 fast days, I usualy have a soup for dinner. A ready made one, one way or another, even the dehydrated one because I know exactly the calories on it and I really hate cooking on fast days.

By curiosity, I looked on my fitness pal and found out that 1l of that soup costs me only 250 cal and there is no carbs and no sugar on it, so perfect for a fast day. The other one

What are your thoughts about ready made soups en fast days ?

I had a bit of a laugh looking for a soup and, to my ginormous surprise, they say it to be 20 000 cal :rotfl: :silly:
Re: Ready made soups
22 Oct 2013, 11:37
All for it - you have some delicious ready soups in France, too!
They tick 2 boxes (if not 3!) for me;

They are quick
They are calorie counted
They're hot!
22 Oct 2013, 11:49
I make my own, and freeze them into four portions in old, lidded yoghurt pots (the 500g ones), put one in the fridge and freeze the rest then I can just grab one out in the morning to defrost by lunchtime. My current fave is spicy carrot and lentil, which I found on the BBC Good Food webby. I make it up without the oil and it comes in at 152 calories a portion, according to MFP.

ETA: I also enjoy ready made soups.... even just plain old Heinz tomato, or mushroom or chicken hit the spot for me... although I haven't eaten any of those for a while due to their "Cream of....." titles!!!! :confused:

My favourites are the Covent Garden range..... thick and yummy.... and sadly mostly calorie-laden too.... except their butternut squash one... but I hardly ever see that on the shelves....
22 Oct 2013, 11:57
I love soup and often make my own, but have found some of the Waitrose "Love Life" range are very good. I particularly like: Moroccan Chicken (191cals, but very filling); Chicken and Mushroom (< 100 cals, very oniony); Lemon Rasam (157). I wasn't so keen on the Italian Bean variety as I found it a bit bland.
22 Oct 2013, 12:12
I make some as well but I like the ready made. We can also find some frozen ones, big 1kg bags but in small stones so you can easily take exactly what you want. They are better to taste that the homemade I would freeze

Some examples

scampi soup 146 cal
bouillabaisse (fish) 241 cal for 400g
sweet chestnuts and cep 95 cal
peas and ricotta 76 cal
dry veg/choriso 118 cal

It would be difficult to cook them myself

From scratch I make pumpkin, mushrooms or cauli soup :wink:
22 Oct 2013, 12:21
Which one is it that has no carbs and no sugar? I find that doubtful.

Dont forget MFPs database is user-generated, and quite often the nutritional details will be incomplete or wrong.

But canned and pouch soups are a great fast day stand-by!
22 Oct 2013, 12:54
I don't object to ready made food per se, but I do find that after years of making my own, most ready made soups are simply too salty or gloopy for my liking. If you enjoy them and they fit into your fast day, why not?

In the same vein, I can perfectly well cook rice and pulses, but I'll happily admit to sometimes using things like Merchant Gourmet lentils and Tilda sun dried tomato rice - fast days or not.
22 Oct 2013, 12:58
I love them on cold days. I'll cook my own but not for fast days as I like meat, potato etc in my home made ones.

My favorite ones are simple Heinz ones that take minutes to heat and are caloric controlled.
22 Oct 2013, 13:50
The one with no carbs is a chinese soup without the usual pastas

The soups I made are not light ones but the kind with heavy cream, crème fraîche, cheese and I am a bit of a fish soup freak and I don't see myself doing some myself (a bouillabaisse is very long to prepare and you need 6 different fish so a lot of trouble when you are alone to eat it)

On the other hand, I'll make some with red kuri squash at the end of the week (only because I want to roast some seeds so I have no choice but cook the flesh of the squash) :cool:
22 Oct 2013, 14:06
I have a few cup a soups on standby and a packet soup as even though I love making my own, sometimes it's nice to have a hot meal quickly.
22 Oct 2013, 14:14
Don't like them at all, but then here in Sweden we don't have any high end ones in my super...The youngest son likes "Soup in a Cup" and is having one right now. I find the scent of them so offensive that my tummy turns - gahhhhh.
22 Oct 2013, 16:44
Melanie Cheeks wrote:
Dont forget MFPs database is user-generated, and quite often the nutritional details will be incomplete or wrong.

I agree, found this on a few items & recipes.
12 posts Page 1 of 1