The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

30 posts Page 2 of 2
What a brilliant idea & thank you Moogie for putting in all the work to do this. I would like to easily identify Fast day recipes. I know there is ongoing debate on the forum about how much protein & carbohydrates to eat on a fast day & would some guidelines also be possible?I am still confused about this.
Thank you
I'm afraid I'm in no position to be able to offer guidlines about how much of what to eat on a fast day, I'm no dietician or nutritionist :( I think all we know really is a good amount of protein is helpful to keep you full on a fast day, and less carbs is a good idea to (though I didn't know this in the beginning and haven't changed my fast day eating since! That may be the ace up my sleeve if I plateau!)

Regarding the recipes section, it looks like this may be on the back boiler for a week or so as I've got a potentially quite busy week at work next week as well as a self employed project which will be taking up my evenings & possibly weekends. I did make a start on the recipe database though :)
:D Thank you anyway Moogie for all your hard work on the forum. I will try to keep to mainly protein & vegetables on fast days. I guess I am still learning how to do 5:2 in the most effective way. Anyway onwards & hopefully downwards for everyone.
Thank you again.
HI Moogie,

just a thought for you on this one.

People will come up with gazzilions of categories they'd like to see in any system - and they will all have a valid basis :) The thing is that when it comes to actually inputting stuff, they won't want to go through all the necessary steps to use them.

You might want to try for something a little less structured and perhaps have a full text index over it?

Since we are a diet forum I would suggest that the calories per portion would be worth pulling out as an individual field, but if you encouraged the use of keywords - say at the end of the recipe - to say the rest of the stuff, people would be able to search by all the great ideas above, but you might get more active inputting of recipes.

After it had run for a while you would see what things matter to people in practice, rather than theory - esp if you were able to capture the searches anonymously - and adjust accordingly.

Sorry if this is a boring answer :)

Ax
Look forward to seeing this - wonder if it might be worth having 'free from' or 'low in' info, to help those trying to cut down on carbs, fat, sugar, or avoiding dairy, wheat, meat? I have been using a very handy wordpress plugin on my blog, called recipe card, by YumPrint, that links in to a nutrition database. I'm wondering if there is something like that that you could build on?
Thanks moogle that would be great its easy to come to forum and fine recipes in one place , i have down loaded a couple of books to kindle from amazon on 5.2 recipes and slow cooker one they look good .Putting them into breakfast lunch dinner and snacks is good , but what ever you do thank you for taking the time in helping make the rest of us thinner .x
This is a great idea Moogie. For me, when searching, I would just like it to be simple, eg Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with perhaps a V to denote Vegetarian, but whatever you do will be greatly appreciated.
I would also like to add a huge thanks to you for all the work you put into this forum, it's absolutely brilliant, thank-you.
Evie
I agree about the 'cuisine type' classification- could get complicated and in a way perhaps too prescriptive? The list looks great to me- in this context I would be mainly looking for calorific value, but would Breakfast/Soup/Salad/Main meal/Dessert criteria useful too I think.
Thanks from me too for all your work- is amazing!
All sounds excellent Moogie. Keep up the good work and thankyou :smile:
Echoed! If I can help in any way, I will.
Hi Moogie!

Thanks for sorting all of this out! Tis much appreciated!

My go-to recipe website is www.taste.com.au - the advanced search area of that website is brilliant and I like being able to sort by reviews or most popular etc.

Along the lines of "favourites" with this website you can add recipes to your cookbook.

One thing that you may or may not want to take into consideration (for the search options etc) is the different names for veges ie courgette/zucchini & aubergine/eggplant etc

Anyway, I'm sure you'll do a brilliant job!

Thanks again
Amanda

p.s. here's a link for you http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/30555/c ... trone+soup
Whether they are family friendly, can they fend off a hungry non fasting family with the simple addition of rice, pasta.

Some idea of cost, whether they are suitable for people on a tight budget.

How much info is need to credit the original source of the recipe and your adaptations of it?
You're a star, Moogie. Great idea!
Really sorry for the delay with this - I sort of had to hold fire while trying to recode things to reduce the errors on the old server, now we've moved I can make get back on track with the recipes area. Well, after I get back from holiday anyway!
I think this would be great. Although all the groups have recipe sections I often spend ages looking for a recipe I know I have seen somewhere as they seem to be rather randomly entered. I think an index that could be searched - maybe by major food group could save me a lot of time
30 posts Page 2 of 2