The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Can someone please resolve?

Green Beans are listed as having 35 cals per 100g in Jacqueline Whiteheart's 5:2 Diet Recipe Book.

Green Beans are listed as having 25 cals per 100g in Dr Moseley & Mimi Spencer's The Fast Diet book.

A difference of 10 cals being quoted by two 'official' 5:2 books is not helpful when you're only eating 500 of them. ;)

I'm now concerned that I will need to check all calorie counts quoted in both books to avoid misleading miscalculations.

BTW, I would like to know the accurate measurement today if possible as plan to include some for supper.

I am on my 13th Fast Day at the start of week 6. I have lost 5.8ks and don't want to have to worry about whether the quoted calorie counts are accurate or not. I am going without breakfast for the first time so will split my 500 cals between lunch & supper.

Thank you.
To be honest I expect they vary by that much depending on when they were picked. The older the bean the more stringy and less digestible. Unless you used a bomb calorimeter to determine the calorie count in the very beans your were going to eat it is impossible to be exact (and then of course you couldn't eat those beans as they would have been destroyed in the calorimeter!). Add to that the difference between quoted calories and the calories we manage to extract from the food which varies from person to person, the whole thing is pretty inaccurate.

I don't think we have to be that precise over calories. I would just take the higher value and if they are actually lower you will (albeit unknowingly) have gained a small bonus!
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =258491673 29 cals/100g

same at Sainsbury's where fine green beans are 25 cal/100g
Why don't you split the difference and call it 30 cals per 100 grams? As Caroline says, I don't think that it is a significant difference, although I accept that with only 500 cals to play with you want to make every one count, correctly!
4 posts Page 1 of 1