The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

29 posts Page 2 of 2
Soups are fabulous, if you don't feel like making any try a sachet of Miso, very tasty, warm, salty and "foody" feeling. I like to make chicken stock, remove all fat and add vegs, then freeze it small containers of a big cup's worth so if i'm feeling "starving" i can have a portion for very low cals, or even just the broth with a few drops of tabasco to kick it along. A medium orange has about 57 cals, and about 10gms each of carbs & sugar. If you can work in the calories in your 500cal daily limit I would think that's a reasonable choice.
My new favorite is a bowl full of baby spinach, dressed with a teaspoon or two of lemon flavored white balsamic vinegar. For about 15-20 calories, I have have a nice side salad. If I add 35 calories of croutons, it's even nicer :-)
I'm just a couple of weeks in, so I've only had a few fast days, but having a "fajita salad" for lunch on those days is working well so far. I cut a half-cup of Vegetable Skallops into strips, sautee them with a cup of pepper strips and onions and chill before adding them to a bowl of mixed lettuce. Top it with a spoonful of fat-free Italian dressing and it's ready...keeps me going until well into the evening!
When the sweet tooth just can't be tamed I like to suck on a frozen strawberry for around 4 calories
Just ate a whole cucumber -325g for 40 calories! Feeling better already as belly has stopped making mutter grumble noises!
I did my first fast all day this week and found it much easier than spreading my calories out. The hardest part was lunch time when OH had his baguette and cheese so I drank a mug of oxo. It worked. In the evening I did Hairy dieters chilli and ginger salmon with roasted veg and a portion of sugar free jelly for pud. Just accepting I will not eat all day seems to work for me. Will be trying it again tomorrow.
I generally try on fast days to include fruit as its the only way to get that sweet taste I love, whilst sticking with food which is actually nutritious. Strawberries, melon (specifically galia as it seems the most low cal) and gapes are my top choices.
I am aware that there is a lot of sugar in fruit but at least there is good stuff like fibre and vitamins in there too to balance it out. I did start off by having sugar free jelly on fasting days but after a cople of weeks I decided it was mostly chemicals and water and I would try to make sure I was as far as possible, eating 'real food' on fast days.
Have discovered that 200g of Heinz Macaroni Cheese is only 170 calories and it is very filling!
I make tacos on fast days that make me feel like I'm cheating.

2 Tacos (416 cal)

2 hard taco shells (125 cal) This may vary by brand.
1/2 ground turkey (148 cal)
shredded lettuce (10 cal) As much as you like.
2 tbs of salsa (8 cal)

I can make this as a family meal. My husband and children add other things like shredded cheese or guacamole. I like to feel like I'm eating just like everyone else... even on fast days.
I could not get through a fast day(or any day) without fruit!
A bowl of strawberries is only around 30 cal, and lovely red watermelon about 35 cals- surely better than the chemical filled low cal rubbish.
Then there's the crunch of an apple- hmmm maybe I should become a fruitologist!
I do avoid bananas and grapes onfast days. :wink:
I love leafy salad, cherry tomatoes and strawberries :) carrots make me nauseous, but they're extremely low-cal too if you like them.
Another favourite is veg sushi, the m and s pack is only 140 calories
@imanowl: (if you are still wondering!) oranges are allowed on fast days but they are quite high in sugar and therefore in calories (100 calories per orange say, depends on the type and size of orange - and on which website you visit!).

I've just had a piece of 99% Lindt Excellence chocolate. This is surely the ultimate chocolate hit, it is very dark, quite bitter, but still smooth and melts slowly on the tongue and the taste lingers deliciously. It is not sweet but if it is the chocolate you like, it is quite 'affordable' on a fast day because a single square is only 13 calories. A nice little treat to go with coffee...
Porridge and rice cakes fill my stomach nicely. Also, raw garlic is not easy to digest so if you add it to your food you will not feel hungry for a few hours.
Been at this 5 weeks now and learning what works for me. I usually have a Progresso Light soup for lunch - 120-140 calories for a large bowl, and an apple. Dinner is fish and lots of vegs (broccoli or asparagus are my favorites). Also discovered shirataki noodles which are very low in calories but very filling! They take on the flavor of whatever you prepare them with; pasta sauce works well.
29 posts Page 2 of 2