The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Low GI
24 Jan 2013, 13:47
Have read the 5:2 book and have started today - can someone tell me - am I just watching my calorie intake or do I need to be having low GI foods as well as low calorie or can I just count calories ?
Re: Low GI
24 Jan 2013, 13:58
Hi Louise and welcome to the forum!

The mention of low GI foods in the book has led to quite a bit of confusion as it was not talked about at all in the Horizon programme. The answer, like so many things with this diet, is that it rather depends on you!

The basic rule is that you can use up your 500 cals any way you like, but (you know there would be a 'but' didn't you?! ;) ) if you do choose sugary and high carb foods you will may find that they a) are less filling b) might give you headaches c) may interfere with fat burning.

You will see a lot of discussion here on the forum and in all the other online 5:2 groups about what is the "best" way to do it. As noone actually knows, the debate rages unabated. In the end the best way to improve your health is to do something and keep on doing it, so whatever works for you is best.

Experiment and see what suits you. Also, you might find that as you continue your tastes and needs change.

Good luck!
Re: Low GI
24 Jan 2013, 14:03
thanks alot - as am going to follow the book as much as poss will try to do mon and thurs as fast days and have breakfast and evening meal and use some of the recipes in the book and some of the recipes I have found on this forum. Have drunk lots of water and herbal teas and had porridge for breakfast and not feeling too bad at the mo !
3 posts Page 1 of 1