The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

36 posts Page 1 of 3
Translation needed
21 Apr 2013, 11:14
I finally got that aubergine is eggplant and courgettes is zucchini. I thought these things were something that only existed in UK and/or Europe. (I'm Canadian) Now I might make Rosemary chicken with oven roasted vegetable from the BBC Good Food site. :confused:
Re: Translation needed
21 Apr 2013, 11:36
Maybe we need to include words like these on our forum wiki? I've added a request to that thread for you. :)
21 Apr 2013, 12:05
Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure I add the translations in for US folk. Also, coriander is cilantro.
21 Apr 2013, 13:34
Oh you should have seen me when I thought that egg plant was a plant with eggs!!! The whole chicken theory was in question, did I get it all wrong? Till I told me mum (who went to an American College instead of University) and she explained it all.
21 Apr 2013, 14:02
My OH thinks he doesn't like courgettes. I tell him he is eating zucchini! No complaints!
21 Apr 2013, 14:06
Bobshouse wrote: My OH thinks he doesn't like courgettes. I tell him he is eating zucchini! No complaints!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
21 Apr 2013, 14:11
Bobshouse wrote: My OH thinks he doesn't like courgettes. I tell him he is eating zucchini! No complaints!

My dad thinks he doesn't like courgettes. So when I put them in something I rename them to "parsley and onions" (in a pie), "peppers" (in an omelette), "spring onions" (in pasta) and a "cucumber variety" (in salad).

Men are sooooo naive...
21 Apr 2013, 15:28
That is so funny TML 13
21 Apr 2013, 15:36
:-)
21 Apr 2013, 19:35
Foods are the most variable of vocabulary in different languages. Lots of time they vary within a region. For example bananas can be called guineos, platanos, bananos, banana, and probably a lot more names depending on where you are in South America, the Caribbean and Mexico. Limon can mean lemon or lime. It makes using recipes from other countries interesting. There is a good translation site: wordreference.com that can help.

And then there's the kind of translation/obfuscation we use to get our kids to try new things.

When my daughter had chicken pox at age 18 mo., and we were in a Santa Ana heat wave in San Diego (105 degrees no ir conditioning), I told her I was going to put some witch hazel on her skin. "No, mommy" she screamed, "not the witch!"

I learned to be more deceptive. :wink:
21 Apr 2013, 19:53
I couldn't get my head around garbanzo; the humble chickpea!
22 Apr 2013, 00:46
What is a Swede (used in a veggie stew i saw on this website)? Thanks,
22 Apr 2013, 00:51
hi debbiejgb, I'm pretty sure its rutabega ( is that spelled right)
22 Apr 2013, 01:17
Close enough! Thanks Pamie!
22 Apr 2013, 01:51
So far I have had to look up mange-tout (snow pea) and squash (when it is referred to as a drink--apparently a fruit flavored syrup).
36 posts Page 1 of 3