The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

60 posts Page 2 of 4
Don't drink coke-don't like the taste but do use the normal stuff to boil ham occasionally. It's a really easy recipe from Nigella's web site. No ideas how many calories though!
I use it to cook meat too!!!
TML13 wrote: Personally, I prefer to have regular Coke from time to time, it has the taste of my childhood's Sundays and even a few sips of it brings back good memories.
I also drink Dr Pepper (even if it costs an arm and a leg here in Greece) because it reminds me of my second home, Britain.
All in moderation I'll say but I still can't get how something that doesn't contain sugar can satisfy sugar cravings.

TML 13 - I reckon it's conditioning... Fancy something sweet, then have something that tastes sweet, is reinforcing the cycle/idea that sugar cravings must be satisfied- IMO eating less sweet stuff sugar or sweeteners, makes peeps crave less sweet tastes... The body can't tell the difference between sugar and sweeteners so the craving/ satiation reaction is the same- hope that makes sense, binned off the fast today and an Irish coffee means I'm slightly pissed :D
I like the flavour of Diet Coke (not Diet Pepsi), I don't like the fact it contains artificial sweeteners. I have one probably every two weeks or so. Everything in moderation?
I don't have sodas at all diet or otherwise as I do not need bone-related ailments when I'm older :) also I haven't got the strongest teeth as it is!
I am one of those people who doesn't eat processed food, and doesn't drink fizzy sugary drinks. I make everything from scratch. If I can make it, I will. I like to know exactly what I'm putting in my body. Diet Coke is pretty bad for your insides, and I find there are better beverages to get me through sweet cravings, fizzy water with wedges of lemon and orange is lovely, for instance.

I saw a quote once that stuck with me: "if it comes from a plant, eat it. If it's made in a plant, don't"
Technically, it comes from a plant.

I must say that coke has its good aspects but it's not made to be used everyday, that's for sure.
Ahh but it's also made in a plant ;)

I have used the full fat stuff to cook a gammon joint, and that was one tasty meal. I think it's the aspartame I take issue with.
Yes but what isn't nowadays?

I've only tried it with beef so far but now that you mentioned it... I just HAVE to try it!!!

BTW, regular coke helped us a lot to get my grandmother back to her feet after a long visit to the hospital. It was actually recommended by her doctor, something to do with the sugar and caffeine and balancing the electrolytes.
Cooking with coke??? You crazy people! Sounds foul! Warm, flat coke is the worst things ever! In my humble opinion, of course. (Putting it with meat also puts me off being of the veggie persuasion) Each to their own :)
It's divine!!! I'm not a beef fan but the one cooked in coke, I still remember and dream about it!

Flat coke is YIKES!!! But they do give it to people after bad cases of gastroenteritis.
I do use a diet coke to get through a fast day, I find it helps, but better still I've tried the chocolate coke cake recipe ...yummy ..not advised on fast day or any day come to think of it.
Chocolate coke cake??? Link to recipe or recipe, please?
http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/513466

Hi tml, not sure how to do links yet, I'm working on it! But here's the web address, I believe it is a James Martin recipe. :grin:
I agree wholeheartedly with Caroline, but just need to add the occasional whisky as well!
60 posts Page 2 of 4