The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Breakfast ideas please?
03 Jun 2013, 12:28
Hi,

I usually try and go until lunch time on fast days without having anthying but am struggling to find something that I can enjoy eating and that is satisfying and high in protein. I have an intolerance to eggs and I struggle to stomach porridge made with water!

I would be greatful of any suggestions?

Thanks
Re: Breakfast ideas please?
03 Jun 2013, 13:15
cheese? cold meat? like a continental breakfast.
Someone has half a tin of tuna (in water) with a squeeze of lime juice and finds that keeps him going for ages.
Who is it now...?
03 Jun 2013, 13:40
Wafer thin ham wrapped round cottage cheese?
03 Jun 2013, 13:46
Gosh I was going to suggest eggs!

Umm I sometimes have mashed banana in plain yoghurt on my non-fast days. I'm not sure how many calories it would clock up but you could used reduced fat yoghurt.
03 Jun 2013, 14:07
janeg wrote: cheese? cold meat? like a continental breakfast.
Someone has half a tin of tuna (in water) with a squeeze of lime juice and finds that keeps him going for ages.
Who is it now...?

Think it might have been Snorvey?
03 Jun 2013, 14:23
I usually have one AmyLu Chicken Sausage (Apples and Gouda Cheese) with one Van's Gluten Free Waffle with 4 or 5 sliced strawberries (microwaved) instead of syrup. That's just under 250 calories and then you have another 250 calories for dinner. If you're allergic to eggs you can find waffles that are egg-free.

It gets kinds of expensive to eat processed meals a lot but it's so easy to prepare, and I know exactly what I'm eating on my fast days which it makes it easy for me to fall into a routine.

Or I will have fresh sliced fruit (strawberries are really low in calories) mixed in fat free vanilla yogurt. that's really low in calories depending on how much yogurt you use and which fruit you choose. It's not as high in protein as the above meal but it's delicious. (And sometimes this will be my dinner meal.)

I have lost 20 lbs so far so these simple meals are working for me.
05 Jun 2013, 11:41
Thanks guys these are great ideas. Like the sound of a continental breakfast!
05 Jun 2013, 11:51
Try a slice of whole wheat / grain toast topped with either low fat cottage cheese and couple tomato slices (or grilled asparagus) or tablespoon of low sugar peanut butter or low sugar baked beans. Those would come out around 120 to 150 calories.
05 Jun 2013, 12:04
Try indian food, Parata with egg omlet or vegetable. it's yammy & rich with calories.
05 Jun 2013, 12:27
Try an onion and prosciutto muffin. If you use only 1 tablespoon of butter instead of 2 in recipe you get the flavour but save 10 calories per muffin. So that makes it 139 calories.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/savor ... ffins.html
05 Jun 2013, 12:41
1.5 tablespoons of chia
Half cup of milk - any kind
2 tablespoons of dried fruit
Spices to taste e.g. Pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice etc

Mix the chia in the milk add the dried fruit and spices mix well. Cover and leave in the frig overnight.

In the morning feel free to add diced fresh fruit and or a sprinkle of nuts and seeds to taste.

Some like to add a sweetener to the above mix but I prefer it unsweetened except for a bit of fruit.
06 Jun 2013, 17:58
A bowl of fresh strawberries (100g, 30cals), a generous dollop (20g) of Greek yogurt (25 cals) and a drizzle of Greek honey (5g, 17cals). Delicious, and only 73 calories!
06 Jun 2013, 18:08
Like Emeken's idea, but I use frozen berries if I can, as it takes longer to eat and the yogurt kind of freezes around the berries to make like ice cream (well not really but it's a fast day!) Or pastrami is pretty low calorie per slice (about 15) if you want something savoury.
13 posts Page 1 of 1