The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Easy recipe suggestions please!
03 Jun 2013, 19:14
I'm a newbie here, name is Alan, aged 69 and live in a small City in Ontario, Canada although originally from N.W.London. Saw this a couple of weeks back, online in the Evening Standard and thought it sounded what I needed as I am a "pig" when it comes to food. Bought the book and started last Tuesday May 28 at 230lbs BMI 31.8!!!!!!! Today June 3 weighed in at 227.6. Regular diets are hard to follow but I'm finding that on this, because you are forced to eat only 600 cals. for each of two days there is no cheating and I actually find it not too hard to endure. One thing though, I've never been a great or enthusiastic cook and I'd like to find some really EASY, non fancy recipes. If it's sardines on toast, just fine! Can anyone help?
For easy, healthy fast day meals, you can't beat a salad with lean meat or fish. I love warm salmon with mine. Or a stir fry with prawns or chicken. An omelette is good too, cooked in a little oil, but with just veggies inside (no cheese or meat). I love mushrooms and asparagus in mine :)
Hi Alan and welcome

Hope you don't mind, but I've moved your post into a new topic as I'm about to lock the monthly weigh-in thread so you wouldn't have got any replies!

There are plenty of easy recipes in the recipe section to browse through. I think salad with some kind of protein source like chicken or fish/prawns is very easy.
I often have salad or steamed frozen vegetables with some chicken or fish. Have a look on the BBC Good Food website, you can filter by calorie range and time etc. That might help you to find something quick and easy.
I put a recipe for Hake on here that is simply a hake fillet, with 3 teaspoons of soy sauce, the juice of half a lime and 3 spring onions chopped up. Mix the soy,lime and spring onions together, pour over the hake and cook in a greasproof paper parcel. Simply, delicious and comes in at around 125 calories depending on the size of the hake fillet.
If you don't mind pre-bought freezer foods there are generally calorie counted foods in most supermarkets (well there are in the UK, I'm not sure about Ontario). Grab one of them at the 300kcal mark and have an extra cup of salad or veg on the side.
I am a salad, stir fry or soup girl myself.
I started at a BMI of 46 and would love to have a BMI of 31.
I think you get more bang for your buck when you cut down on carbs on a fast day - so if you can rustle up a nice steak or piece of fish with either salad or boiled or steamed veggies that should do nicely. I like to take a whole fish, bream say, or mackerel and make 3 or 4 slits each side and fill with slivers of ginger and garlic and steam it in the microwave - 5 minutes to paradise!

edited to add an s to "livers"!
7 posts Page 1 of 1