The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

20 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Alternatives to tofu?
12 Jun 2013, 17:56
I can't stand tofu so suggest Bury black pudding instead, I love the stuff :shock:

Wife can't stand it, but she can't stand tofu either, so win win for me :like: (sorry, my sense of Yuma :oops: I'll go and sit on't naughty step and chew on some tripe :oops: )
12 Jun 2013, 18:33
Anyone who doesn't like tempeh or tofu hasn't had it cooked properly - it's divine! In Java, the open markets sell dozens of different varieties in huge vats, submerged in liquid or already prepared, smoked, dried, pressed and ready to take home or eat as a snack. I lived the life of riley when I was there and had a wonderful cook who used to make it satay style with peanut chilli sauce....bliss! (Especially having a cook!!)
12 Jun 2013, 19:33
In that case dhana, I must put Java on our visit list, or find someone somewhere in the UK who can cook the stuff properly :oops:

I'm quite prepared to give anything a try, I'll eat anything, much to Mrs Nogs disgust at times :smile: despite my image of pillaging and plundering I'm a sensitive soul and love the good things in life, which was one of the reasons we were at the Good Food Show in Birmingham today :oops: no seriously, if someone can give us a recipe for tofu or any similar healthy option we're prepared to give it a go, after all isn't that what this forums all about :?:
12 Jun 2013, 19:50
Old Nog,
I would drop my darling old cook a line, but when I was there, about 30 years ago she was about 100, so maybe not....!! It is a texture thing, I would go with tempeh, using some of the tips above, and go with a nice zingy, spicy marinade and try the satay sauce, using freshly shelled peanuts, toasted and bashed (lots of online recipes) on the side. Best not to have it on a fast day, very moreish!
12 Jun 2013, 21:42
Most of the concerns I've heard about tofu and soybeans in general center on the phytoestrogens. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3074428/

Many studies that claim soy is dangerous have participants eating far more than the typical Asian diet and/or in more processed forms (processed soy burgers v. tofu). I think the problem is that many people hear that Asian diets include soy and it's linked to a low incidence of disease and decide that if a little is good then a lot must be better.

I'm a vegetarian and don't eat much soy. I'm not afraid of it, I just happen to prefer other beans and Almond milk rather than soy milk. I believe in moderation in all things, and I expect that soy is exactly that...fine in moderation.

How to make it palatable? Dunno. I've used the silken tofu in place of ricotta cheese in lasagnas and the milk in baking. Each with good results.
20 posts Page 2 of 2