The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

20 posts Page 1 of 2
Re: Alternatives to tofu?
09 Jun 2013, 04:40
Quorn is a substitute (but a bit spongy meaty like). I think it is made from mushrooms??

Living in Asia I find it difficult to believe that it is harmful. But I understand some people are allergic to soy products.

I don't like firm tofu, as it has a harder, spongy texture. However, I find silken tofu, which is a soft creamy version, really nice. You have to treat it very gently if frying, but it is worth it. It's really nice also in salad (Japanese do a good silken tofu, tomato, avocado salad with sesame oil dressing - very light and refreshing).
09 Jun 2013, 05:21
I thought tofu was totally disgusting the first time I had it - but it does grow on you. I like the smoked one tho' it's not always easy to get. Marigold do small tins of "braised tofu" which I like, available here in Holland and Barrett. Tofu has a sort of lightness and purity that rather appeals on a 5:2 diet!
Sorry - the comments I've found about good/bad soya seem to be rather contradictory so can't add anything about that.
Quorn is a meat imitation. I don't like it much myself for that reason. Not vegan.
Personally I do use increasing amounts of lentils. I make a lentil loaf (Rose Elliott gives several recipes in her different cook books) and freeze it in portions.
And throw some in to most savouries. Puy lentils are 130 cals a 100g (cooked). I also add either home made yoghurt or low fat soft cheese to soups etc if I think I need more protein.
A lot of vegetables contain some protein so it all adds up.
09 Jun 2013, 05:34
Have been eating and making tofu since the 70s. Has been a staple in Japan forever...in China for 2000 years! Much safer than high fructose corn syrup, say :)
09 Jun 2013, 05:57
I grew to love tofu while in Hong Kong, so many different kinds and I also converted my carnivorous family to it as well.
Don't know if you get a good variety in the West though, but I would give it another go.
I also love paneer but have no idea about it's carb value. You might be able to find it frozen in world food shops (is that more diplomatic than 'ethnic'?)
09 Jun 2013, 07:02
I do use tofu though i'm not a great fan, I do quite like the smoked ones and here in France you can buy ones with herbs in and different flavors, I assume that you can in england too? I freeze and press tofu before using most of the time which gives it a firmer texture and helps it to soak up other flavors.

I also use tempeh, which is made from fermented soya beans, seitan, which is made from wheat gluten, or tvp, which is a bit retro but can be nice, we don't get quorn in France but that is another substitute. I also use a lot of beans and lentils, plus nuts and seeds of course but the latter or more of a garnish!

Soy products have got a lot of bad rap in recent years but research says that they are fine, the fears about it containing estrogen have been shown to be unfounded (There are phytoestrogens which mostly act against estrogen but this is not the same thing). Personally I buy organic tofu from a reputable source most of the time but I do that with most of my food anyway!

I'm on my kindle now so putting links on is a pain but I'll come back later and give you some links about why tofu is safe, how to use it and some info about alternatives.
09 Jun 2013, 13:44
I like tofu. Generally I use the firm for stir fry and the silken for making dips.

When pan frying the firm tofu just have it in the pan for a couple of minutes until it is warmed through any longer and it can toughen up.

As for the taste, some like it some don't. I always tell people that tofu is a protein and protein (be it vegetarian or meat) tastes pretty bland until you season and flavour it some how. e.g. grab a chicken breast and grill it until it is cooked through but do not put any salt, herbs, spices, no sauce, no gravy just eat it as it is cooked and flavourless. Most people do not like eating chicken like that. Same with tofu, they put it in a pan (often over cook it till it becomes either tough and spongy or falls apart) and don't flavour it and then they don't like it.

When I cook tofu e.g in a stir fry I do my veges in one pan and my tofu in another and then I just mix them together gently just before serving. The tofu doesn't fall apart b/c it is not over cooked and tossed about with the veges.

One of my favourite ways to do tofu is toss slices it in a pan with a spray of oil and quickly seal the sides until golden. Add enough sweet chilli sauce to cover the tofu and sprinkle sesame seeds over it. Keep the tofu moving in the hot pan just long enough to thicken the sweet chilli sauce without burning it. Serve it with stir fry veges.
09 Jun 2013, 15:30
I don't eat much tofu, but I do know that perfectly good tofu can be prepared brilliantly or poorly, and that how it is prepared makes all the difference in the world when it comes to how it tastes (and perhaps more-importantly, its texture, because tofu itself doesn't dominate the flavor and tends to take on the flavors of the stuff surrounding it).

So, if you've had bad tofu experiences before, keep an open mind and keep trying different ways of cooking it. I'll bet you find a tofu dish that is really enjoyable. :-)
09 Jun 2013, 15:42
I think most of the concern about tofu is coming from the US, where the vast majority of our soy crops are GMO (genetically modified organisms).

If you buy tofu from a place that doesn't allow GMOs, or you buy organic tofu in the US, I think that's good enough.

I totally agree that it's all how tofu is prepared. Of course I like fried better >.< Freezing it can also improve the texture :-)
09 Jun 2013, 15:50
Yep, I second and third the comments about freezing it first. Slice, press, then place on a rack in the freezer. Once solid you can put it into a freezer container.

When you want to use it, throw a few pieces in some very hot water to thaw. You can squeeze it between your palms to get out the excess water....yes squeeze! This method creates a very different firm texture to the tofu....perfect for grilling.
09 Jun 2013, 18:34
izzy wrote: The hormonal link is the bigger concern, including it's effect on thyroid - so yes, Nicky, any info would be great, thanks.

Soy + thyroid
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12060828

Soy + estrogen
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19524224
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18535167
http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/18/4/1050.abstract

izzy wrote: Hence more tofu, and no lentils, etc (I believe tempeh also has more carbs - it's fermented, isn't it)?

Yes it's fermented soya beans!

Happy reading!
09 Jun 2013, 19:19
The main problem with tofu is that it is made of soy and in many cases soy is nowadays mutant. Check out what the law about mutant foods says, I know that in Greece they are forbidden and I'm almost certain that the same stands for the UK as well.
Personally, I find it disgusting and I also think that it's weird to eat cheese (or meat) that is not made of an animal but that's just me.
09 Jun 2013, 20:12
Izzy, I understand what you are saying but since I am not a vegetarian I find it very weird, LOL!
12 Jun 2013, 12:14
You are right that tofu in the US is generally GM and there are potential risks associated with that. I read once that 95% of soya related products in the US were GM but of course that doesn't mean that 95% of them are definitely safe (I'd still stay clear though).

EU regulations require member states to label food when there is a potential that a GM crop could be included - for example Pot Noodles certainly had a warning on their label back in my student days (don't know if this is true now).

I think a wonderful alternative to tofu is Tempeh (also soya based)- it tends to have a denser texture and I've fed it to a few people who are avid tofu haters and they've actually really liked it. Like tofu it soaks up flavours but actually has a prety good taste of it's own, it's somewhat nutty. You can buy it in health food stores normally.

As for other low carb vegetarian alternatives I don't reckon you can beat lentils and I often turn to them on a fast day. This week I made a lentil and aubergine curry which was super filling and low cal. I put it on my blog if you want the recipe: http://bigcooktinykitchen.blogspot.co.u ... ntils.html
12 Jun 2013, 14:42
One quick tip with tempeh, leave it in the marinade longer than you would for tofu. Because it's tougher and denser it takes longer to soak it up.
12 Jun 2013, 15:04
I love tofu and I'm not a veggie. I like it because it's great in lots of different things, it's cheap, keeps for ages in the fridge and, myriad studies aside, tastes really healthy and yummy. I like to eat a bit less meat to have a lower impact on the environment and, vegan or not I think it's good to have animal-free dishes quite regularly (although that probably makes me a hypocrite for having bacon and cheese in the fridge...). Would love to try tempeh but never seen it here.

I have just got a couple more packs of the cauldron tofu (tesco 3 for 2 at the mo) and I tend to press it wrapped in a tea towel in a sieve for a few hours which helps it firm up. I like to fry it in a separate pan to my veggies as someone else said, it means you can get a nice reddy brown crust going on it.

Tonight I'll be having BBQ tofu - cubed pressed tofu dusted with paprika, cumin & chilli and fried with a tsp olive oil/coconut oil then, once it's cooked all over I'll bubble up a tsp maple syrup over it before having over a big pile of salad. Probably gone into that in too much detail but it's a fast day and I'm starving...

My absolute favourite way to have tofu though is salt & pepper tofu at a great chinese restaurant in town - deep fried & crispy on the outside, soft & silky on the outside (NOT fast day fare). It's salty, peppery and has a yummy dip to go with it. I am actually drooling now....
20 posts Page 1 of 2