The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Goats cheese
17 Jun 2013, 12:21
Anyone else a fan?

I love it - 30 grams is 80 calories (I buy it from Tesco, in an oblong packet) and spread throughout a salad its really yummy as its such a strong flavour.

For lunch today I had a tesco side salad pot (£1, lettuce, sweetcorns, peppers, cabbage) which was 20 calories, 30g goats cheese and a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. so 120 calories and it was really good!

I also use it in my evening meal on fast days quite often. Bit of an addiction but an easy way to add a lot of flavour.
Re: Goats cheese
17 Jun 2013, 12:27
Yep i love it :) usually have it the same way you do, on a salad! mmmm
17 Jun 2013, 12:27
Ooh yes, I love it too. It's just a shame that it is sold in such small amounts! (or perhaps that's a good thing?)
17 Jun 2013, 12:29
You can get a massive log (literally log shaped 1kg?) if you shop at Costco and it's lush!
17 Jun 2013, 12:40
Ooh, don't let me go there...too dangerous!
17 Jun 2013, 12:48
Wow. I don't think we have Costcos.

I love it in omelettes as well

mmmmmm goats cheese.
17 Jun 2013, 13:07
I love goats cheese too. We're in France at the moment and it's on practically every menu. Husband just looks at me and says what are you going to have your goats cheese with today?

At home I like to get the large diameter rounds with rind on it (from Morrisons). I usually halve it, so I have 2 disks, and grill one of them with peppers and tomatoes, then tip onto salad and sometimes add a bit of balsamic. Other disk gets put into salad, pasta or other grains and taken to work - or just same salad again!
17 Jun 2013, 13:38
emilymeg wrote: Wow. I don't think we have Costcos.

I love it in omelettes as well

mmmmmm goats cheese.

Think your nearest one is Coventy, just off the A45. I was always a friend of a friend of someone who had membership so I finally caved and got a card. Stuff in big amounts, so worth it! :cool: :cool:
17 Jun 2013, 13:52
I love goats cheese. Co-op do a lovely one, quite small, really nice put in the oven so it goes all runny. Don't tend to have them on fast days though.
17 Jun 2013, 14:18
Bought a Feta cheese at Tesco last week that turned out to be a mixture of sheep and goat - wife hates goat so would not eat any, which meant all the more for me... Great in salad, with balsamic, as already mentioned.
01 Aug 2013, 19:47
Ooh, no another thread that is making me feel hungry
01 Aug 2013, 19:56
I'm right there with you! This is one of my new favorite summertime fast dinners (I don't eat until my dinner at about 6pm, so I can have all my calories in the evening).

5-2-diet-recipes-f5/salade-crottin-chaud-warmed-goat-cheese-salad-t7262.html

I do think the european goat cheese tastes better than the American stuff though.
02 Aug 2013, 14:27
I had no idea you could order online from Costco in the UK. Just had a look and they sell whole suckling pigs! And the meat packs seem really good value considering they're grass fed and traditional breeds.

Also I see they sell saunas the mere thought of which warms my Finnish heart.

Just to be on topic a bit, goats cheese is great! I chronically mispronounce it as "ghost cheese" though, started doing it as a joke and now can't stop! :silly:
13 posts Page 1 of 1