The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

42 posts Page 2 of 3
Re: Why i weigh daily
22 Nov 2013, 09:38
I weigh 2-3 times a week, always the morning after fasting but sometimes also at the end of a fasting day. I record my weight using Progress Tracker nearly every Friday but if it's down any other day I record that too. Bit obsessive at the moment...
22 Nov 2013, 10:06
Now come on JR, I know this is all very exciting but get your 'ways' and 'weighs' sorted girl, calm down, you are giving me double vision :lol: :grin: :lol:

Ballerina X :heart:
22 Nov 2013, 11:23
THANKS kencc.. im a bit of an excel enthusiast. Hey i even know Lotus123 when it was first released. Now that ages me!
22 Nov 2013, 12:10
kencc wrote: Juliana

I started by using VisiCalc ... which ages me even more.

Ken

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I remember that too!
22 Nov 2013, 12:28
Ballerina wrote: Now come on JR, I know this is all very exciting but get your 'ways' and 'weighs' sorted girl, calm down, you are giving me double vision :lol: :grin: :lol:

Ballerina X :heart:

omg i actually put "way" in the title first and then about three times later. It must be the brain tumour setting in.. It can be the drinking as i stopped drinking anything as part of my pre Christmas club kick for 5 weeks!
22 Nov 2013, 12:31
ahh visicalc.. i heard about that one and how Lotus 123 was far superior.

i remember being thrown a shiny PC in a sales office (still in its box), a manual for the PC and the lotus PC in a box with the 3.5 inch floppy disks and told .. now i want my "sales/stock rundowns" ready by 2pm every Monday.

well nobody knew wast Lotus was, let alone a PC. anyway my job as junior "sales analyst" and my stint wth my PC.. (only one in the office with one) led me to my I.T. job and then the rest is history. if only i could predict the joy of the internet. certainly changed my life forever
22 Nov 2013, 13:19
What is the use of a 5.25 inch floppy nowadays?!
22 Nov 2013, 13:28
CreakyPete wrote: What is the use of a 5.25 inch floppy nowadays?!

Looks like there is still a business for it http://www.fastcompany.com/3004409/glim ... loppy-disk

But what if you had one of the original 8inch ones? :shock:
22 Nov 2013, 14:09
8" disks stored 128K on one side - it took 8 of them to store 1 megabyte of data. Wished I'd kept a few of them for show-n-tell.

I weight twice a day, morning and evening and log both. While ~6 months of data points are sufficient for a visual trend - predicting an end-date with the flattening tail of a bell curve isn't obvious. I think it's called maintenance.
22 Nov 2013, 14:12
Seems we have changed topic, so can I enter my bid:
I learned SPSS using punched cards:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Deliver a set of cards for batch processing, wait for 2 hours to get output, with only one single message: 'Fatal error in card 23, job aborted' :frown:

On topic:
In terms of reliability of the measurement it's always best to have many measurements, especially when there is a lot of variation in the object of measurement (drinking a glass of water increases 'weight' with 200 grams). My weight will vary 1 full kg. between different measurements. So for a reliable measurement measure often (daily), but take only the average of a number of measurements (say 7 or 10) to calculate your 'true weight'. Make sure that in your head (in terms of assessing your progress) you only calculate with the average.
So, when measuring daily, put on your NERDY glasses (or hat) :geek: and say in a loud voice: 'This is not me, it's a scientist collecting one of a set of measurements to calculate my weight'. Enter the data in some kind of spreadsheet and remove them from your mind (should be easy, as this was only some nerdy scientist doing her job). Then look at the average number, compared to one or two weeks ago. Say in a loud voice: 'This is me, looking at my weight progress. :cool: Make sure you use only one digit (it makes no sense to calculate more if one drink will have an effect of 0.2 kg.)

Happy measuring!
22 Nov 2013, 14:17
I'm another maintainer who weighs daily and writes down the result (along with details like whether it was a fasting day, a 16:8, how far I ran or whether I had a bad eating day - it helps me to see a pattern and instantly apply little corrections to my eating. As a former yo-yo dieter, the fact that I have stayed at my target for over six weeks for the first time ever in my life, I am truly delighted. My scales give me stones, pounds and eighths of pounds and whilst I am happy to drop a pound or two under 9:13, I have yet to be 10 stone something. Weighing daily I am able to tweak what I'm eating without panicking (or starving!!!)

Each to their own. I love looking back at my monthly lists and seeing how my weight came off
22 Nov 2013, 16:57
I started out with an extreme reluctance to step on the dreaded scales at all, but have come around to weighing a few times a week. Kencc's chart shows some good examples of how drastically weight can change from day to day (looks like some 4 pound variations there!). I was so surprised that my weigh-in Tuesday after a fast day followed by nothing but water that morning was 4 pounds HIGHER than the one two day later after a good-sized breakfast and lunch!
So, ya, it's so wacky and variable I kind of like checking it more often and just keeping mental note of the general trend. But there's obviously no "right" way since we're not subjects in a controlled experiment here. ;-)
22 Nov 2013, 17:54
I'm a daily weigher too, sometimes twice a day and I record the morning weight and my measurements in a diary in which I also include my running/exercise data and food eaten (but not calories and I don't weigh the food). Seeing the odd gain in a day doesn't worry me as much as it would if I only weighed once a week, as I can see patterns emerging. I've been maintaining within a narrow weight band for a few months without really trying so this does seem to be the way for me. I suppose because it is just something I do it's not an onerous task, just another habit picked up along the way. Maybe I should get out more :lol:
22 Nov 2013, 22:46
AnnieW wrote: I'm a daily weigher too, sometimes twice a day and I record the morning weight and my measurements in a diary in which I also include my running/exercise data and food eaten (but not calories and I don't weigh the food). Seeing the odd gain in a day doesn't worry me as much as it would if I only weighed once a week, as I can see patterns emerging. I've been maintaining within a narrow weight band for a few months without really trying so this does seem to be the way for me. I suppose because it is just something I do it's not an onerous task, just another habit picked up along the way. Maybe I should get out more :lol:

"maybe i should get out more" that made me laugh.
what you said made sense.

it is as WendyJane said before, each to their own. i think once a daily weigher always a daily weigher. its as natural to me in the morning as going to feed my hungry quails before they peck each other to death. I found a stray outside the cage the other morning. it took me by surprise and i think i knocked it with my feet such that it looked a bit shaken. 2 days in rehab. its fine now. ahh i should get out more too.
:oops:
23 Nov 2013, 16:40
Daily weighing allow smaller adjustments to occur more frequently because you know what you ate and drank the day before to quickly realize what you might do differently the next time.

Imagine driving down a road and closing your eyes for a full second then opening them. Now imagine leaving them closed for 5-7 seconds. The longer time delay will be far more stressful and your necessary correcting adjustments far larger than they'd be with the shorter time.

Making daily adjustments is easier and less stressful than throwing in another fast day or two to restart a downward trend. And after a short while weights are just numbers, stressing is gone and simple adjustments have become habit.
42 posts Page 2 of 3