The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

16 posts Page 1 of 2
hello to all my beautiful ladies

well as some of you know i started yesters on 4:3 i started wrong and had 4 slices of toast i no know thats a big no no as i was starving but didn't give in i lost 3lbs yesters now i am on a non fasting day and i want t eat with in my limits and something yummy the bmi checker suggested 1438 cal i think it was so my question to you all is yesterday i was dreaming of today thinking id eat the house but today im not even hungry and not sure what to eat

what do you guys eat ? non fasting days not to cancel out what you have already achieved ?
Today I ate first at 11.30 after yesterday's fast, two soft boiled eggs hit the spot perfectly, so I recommend around 60g of protein, up to 150g of carbs on non-fast days. Don't worry about fats, eat fresh real food and good butter, avocado, coconut butter, extra-virgin olive oil and all will be well.
Good luck :0)
Well done for yesterday :like:

Its weird how you don't feel hungry next morning after a fast :grin:

You can eat what you want, just reduce the size of portions a little. Ask yourself, do I need to eat all that and don't be afraid to leave some on a plate :smile: I now eat alot more fruit and veg and this happened without me really trying! I feel better adding more of these and taking away say a potato or reducing the rice and adding veg as a side.

You can tweak feast days as you go along, some people reduce carbs. You will hopefully find one nice side effect very soon, you won't be able to eat your normal size plates of food even if you want to as the tummy shrinks :lol: I found this within 2 weeks of 5/2 :like:

I don't count cals on feast days as I don't want to be tied into this, but my portion control is 100% better now and approaching maintenance in a couple of weeks of so :smile:

I use My fitness pal to log my fast days food and also to check cals of food, this will help if you wish to keep within your limits and also raise awareness of whats going in the mouth :smile:
thank you ladies you are brill going to the shops in a bit to go get healthy foods for both fasting and non fasting days so excited xxx
Eat what you like, within reason. This isn't a 'you must do this or that' type of diet, its a learning curve. First off get your fast days under control, Have a look at what other people do for fast days and settle into what works for you, whether its one, two , three, or no meals for a fast day, work it out.

Then when you are comfortable with fasting, then have a look at your normal days. Many people on the forums have found that their tastes change so they are not wanting to put processed foods in their bodies, they find that they are eating less processed carbs and more fats (fats are not the bad men in dieting or good health). You seem to be one of the people that fasting suits, going by the lack of appetite in the morning. I use this to my advantage and rarely eat before lunchtime post-fast. It extends the fasting period making the health and weight loss benefits better.

If you need lists of what people eat, well we are all different. Most of us are foodies, we love our foods, so you see mention of dinners that include cream, butter and wine. Generally though, if we have cream, butter or wine, we don't have half a pint, a whole slab or the full bottle. But if its a celebration, go for it. Life is for living not being the party poopper because your diet controls your life. You control your diet, use it and adapt it to your way of living.
Don't forget to take some pics and measurements (before its too late, as in getting smaller) :)
Well done for surviving yesterday's fast. I also fasted yesterday and today didn't eat till 12.30 which was a small bowl of homemade very low cal tomato and red lentil soup and half a white part baked baguette. And a massive glass of orange juice.
It's true that most aren't very hungry the morning after a fast. So all that stuff you put off eating till the next day, you don't want when you can. That first big loss is very encouraging. Get some veg based foods in, berries, prawns and maybe some carbonated water and Fruit teas.
Again well done.

Forgot to say, do you know what your TDEE is?
Because essentially you should try and eat no more cals than this to lose weight. Just like fast days you should try and limit your cals to those given on the tracker.
Well done for yesterday. Everyone has given you such good advice today. I fasted yesterday and am just making soup. This will be the first thing I will have eaten today. I don't want to confuse you so early on in your journey but I only eat on a 16:8 basis on my non fast days. Have a look at Ballerinas signature, she has a link on it that will explain it. I do this because I am never hungry for breakfast so I don't eat till mid day (waste of calories!) I often have a 2 egg omelette with smoked salmon, black pepper and chives for lunch on a non fast day. What you really need are strong flavours. Like Minigill I hardly eat any white carbs at all now, even though I love them so. If I do, I make sure it's a small portion and fill up with veg or salad, blinged up with herbs and/or spices. Let us know what you decide on, you might be able to give us some fresh ideas
When I started 5 2 on non fast days I ate as I always had (ie lots of carbs - bread etc and I always had chocolate) but then (as so many have said on here) you sort of lose the taste for rubbish and the appetite goes so it's a great aid to eating healthier. Now I eat pretty low carb (and no bread) and eat MASSES of food; it's just a more satisfying sort - I was the sort of person who could happily probably polish off a whole loaf of bread. The hard thing for me has been eating more fat - it has been dinned into me for so long that fats were baddies that initially that was hard to shake. Anyhow we're all different and I'm sure you'll find what works for you!
All good advice given here, so I'll just add that when I first started fasting I found my normal breakfast left me feeling very uncomfortable in the stomach. It took me several weeks to work out that the uncomfortable feeling was due to eating too much (was I thick or what? [Don't answer that!]). When I cut the size of my breakfast by a third, I felt much more comfortable!

Second thing is that after fasting our bodies can be a bit slow to react to any carb intake, so ideally it's best not to break the fast with anything high in sugar (eg frosted flakes!).

Otherwise just have a little of what you fancy! Enjoy!
Another thing to watch for is comparing your intake to others. My TDEE is still over 2000kcals, so I may put down that I had a steak baguette with butter, onions and mushrooms for lunch, which fits in with my TDEE nicely, but you would or should only eat of half of that. When I lose a lot more weight, I too will be in the 1600 a day calorie bracket and I am hoping I will be unable to eat large meals anymore.
WElcome, sorry am short of time, Hogmany and all that, so good luck and yes, the 16/8 link is in my signature, oh, and Happy New Year

ballerina x :heart:
:heart: :heart: Hi @Torzy82. So glad you got through the day and we all have to learn just what exactly fits and you soon find that with certain foods 500 calories can make an enormous meal and for me a big eater ( hence my start weight)
Loads of salads or vegetables can bulk-up a fastday meal and because my TDEE is still high I make my F/day evening meal a 2 course by way of a reward for going the 24 hrs and as I get up next day " not hungry" I skip breakfast therefore giving me a longer fast with better health benefits plus I believe this is the reason I've done so well
in my 8 months :heart: :heart:
Hi some good advice on here. For me the one food that I now eat in moderation on food days is pasta !! I swear eating a lot less of this has helped me lose my 14lbs in a year. When I look back to the portion sizes of spaghetti etc I used to consume, I am convinced that that was what caused my weight gain . Now I hardly eat it and like so many others have said eat within my TDEE and fill up more on veg and salads. Just remember to make salads interesting - gone are the days of just leaves, cucumber and tomato there is so much you can have with them, I especially like warm salads e.g. chorizo added to salad leaves etc, along with a can of salad beans - full of flavour and very filling!

Good luck !
I must be in the minority but I do wake up hungry after a fast day. I just try to eat fresh healthy food most of the time. Good luck.
16 posts Page 1 of 2