The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

43 posts Page 1 of 3
:heart: @PennyForthem Where are you?
Not playing lately ok B is for butternut squash my newly found vegetable and favourite newbie. :heart:
My favourite way is oven roasted with spices. :heart:
Sue.Q wrote: :heart: @PennyForthem Where are you?
Not playing lately ok B is for butternut squash my newly found vegetable and favourite newbie. :heart:
My favourite way is oven roasted with spices. :heart:

Butternut squash is adored in Australia. It's great for soup if you bake it first. Chop in in small pieces and makes a lovely salad with feta and greens. But I think we tend to use it mostly to accompany a home made stuffed chicken gravy and peas. It steams fast too so it's next to my broccoli most nights just got to count the carbs. I used to stuff them but not done that in ages.
Xx :victory: :clover:
Butternut Squash French Fries. Cut it up in strips like standard french fry strips. Spray cookie sheet with coconut oil and bake in over for about 30-45 minutes at 375 or so. You want them to start getting brown on all the edges. Sprinkle with sea salt, and serve with ketchup (catsup)....yumm!
Are we on A or B now? :confused:
@rawkaren....Sue.Q changed it to B:)
GoLinda wrote: @rawkaren....Sue.Q changed it to B:)

Thanks. Just the title confused me!

B. Broccoli of course! Two delicious options:

A dip made with raw broccoli, with avo's, chopped onion, garlic, fresh rosemary, olive oil and tamari. Blend until smooth. I prefer mine thick and spread on crackers.

Marinated raw broccoli tender stems. Marinate in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and fresh chillis. Best after two days. I marinate mine in a ziplock bag and massage a couple of times a day. :heart:
Oh now broccoli has me hungry for this great salad we order at work and I cave if it is a fast day because it is so yummy.

Lots of bite size broccoli...like half the bowl
A red pepper
A can of mandarin oranges, drained
Spring mix or spinach can work
Sweet and Spicy pecans...oh yeah, made with cayenne pepper
Serve with a honey mustard style dressing
Roast broccoli. A tablespoon of olive oil, salt pepper and grated garlic. yum.
Beetroot. Roasted, boiled, raw. I picked all my purple beetroots today, and I'm hoping to start picking my golden ones any day now.
Yum to broccoli too.
I forgot the Ottolenghi dish where the broccoli tenderstems are cooked al dente and then put on the chargrill to get a smoky taste, and then dressed in a chilli, garlic and oil dressing....season to taste
Brocolli is possibly the only veg (only food really) I don't like. But now I've read this, I'll try again with one of these yummy ideas.
I have a kind of passion for Brussels sprouts and I cook them with chestnuts, apples, roasted with balsamic vinegar, mix them with salsifis or turnips and learned that you should never EVER try to make a soup with them or it would taste like feet in plain summer.... :razz:

I did that galette a few days ago and it was soooooo good :grin:

http://ohmyveggies.com/recipe-brussels-sprout-grape-galette/
Wineoclock wrote: Beetroot. Roasted, boiled, raw. I picked all my purple beetroots today, and I'm hoping to start picking my golden ones any day now.
Yum to broccoli too.

:heart: Roasted beetroot I've never tried but thanks that sounds wonderful :heart:
I'm not a veg lover at all but have eaten more in the last 9 months than ever in my life and love the sound of some new ideas to try :heart: @rawkaren Penny's not played in ages so I bumped and changed it to B for the new ideas :heart:
Beetroot dip. Beetroot, mayonnaise, yoghurt, spring onions, fresh coriander or parsley and lemon juice.
My favorite broccoli salad is not low cal by any stretch! Chopped raw broccoli, red onion, apple, walnuts, currants, and crumbled bacon in a slaw type dressing (mayo, apple cider vinegar and a bit of sugar).

I make a gorgeous broccoli soup. In a rimmed baking sheet, I roast some carrots, parsnips and garlic until cooked and edges are browned. Then I sautee some onion and celery in a pan with a tiny amount of butter. ONce that's soft, I add broccoli or cauliflower and the roasted veggies, and cover with chicken or veggie broth. Simmer until the broccoli is completely cooked through, then puree with an immersion blender. I either cut the stems a lot smaller than the florets, so the florets don't overcook, or I add the florets when the stems are nearly cooked. Finish the soup with a couple of handfuls of cheese (cheddar, comte, emmenthaler, gouda, whatever I have, usually), salt, pepper and a wee splash of milk.

Beetroots - I love to peel them and chop them into bite-sized pieces, and toss them with olive oil and salt, then roast them until they're soft and caramelized. I then add crumbled goat or feta cheese, walnuts and a bit of rocket/arugula and maybe a drizzle of balsamic vinegar :-)
43 posts Page 1 of 3