The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

43 posts Page 3 of 3
Julieathome wrote: B' has a new thread. Can someone merge the two threads, or the B part, or should we all just copy and paste over to the B thread?

I've moved all the B ideas to the B thread but I can merge the two if people prefer it...
I think keep the different letter threads seperate, then when someone needs inspiration the just go to that threads letter. I wonder what X is going to bring us?
Beetroot (cooked, no vinegar) and goats cheese is my very favourite lunch.

Broad beans, parsley sauce, new potatoes and ham is up there in my top 10 meals too.
I didn't realise @sue.q had started a new thread for veggies beginning with B, so I did, too.
At least they're merged now.
Rather than it happening again, Sue would you like to start the next ones when you're ready?
My family loves this bean-based dish with a Moroccan influence:

Spicy bean pot

1 onion
1 bell pepper
1 chorizo sausage (about 30 cms worth)
2 tins mixed beans
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp moroccan spice mix (ras el hanout) or to taste
Optional: extra veggies of your choice such as aubergine, courgette etc.
50g creamed coconut

Dice the chorizo and dry fry in a saucepan (it releases lots of oil). Once the chorizo has released plenty of oil, chop the onion and add to the pan. Add the spice mix and fry gently. Add the tinned tomatoes. Drain the tins of beans and add them to the mix. Chop the bell pepper and add this too. Add any other veg you fancy (or none). Cook gently until the veggies are done. Add the creamed coconut.

Serve with couscous, rice or bulgur wheat.
CandiceMarie wrote: @nursebean i think it was Julieathome on chatterbox beanie with the choc n beetroot recipe..won't be that far back,was only over the weekend i think..
Do you know,ive never tasted beetroot! I cant bring myself to try it..i think its coz ive usually seen it in vinegar which i absolutely loathe x..

I don't like vinegar either so went off beetroot for a long time but absolutely love it now and grow it myself. Great just boiled and chopped/sliced in salads or roasted alongside other root veg. Recently made a beetroot hummous which was fab. And also beetroot & chocolate cake which is divine. Give it a try - small doses at first :wink:
:shock: What a veggie novice like me @PennyForthem No way its your game over to you. :heart:
I've spent all my life hating veg and from day one started eating them regardless as to how I felt about them and with your + other members help in the low carvers tent have now started eating the new and yes sometimes ugly vegetables.
Love beetroot on my salads never tried it roasted but will do this weekend that said I will be taking far more out of this game than I'll putting in. :heart:
I to have only recently started eating beetroot in its natural state. All I had ever had previously was pickled beetroot. Or beetroot wine.
Now that is something worth having, especially if you have a glut in the garden (talking of in the garden, I wonder if they would grow well between the flowers?)

I did a couple of demi johns of beetroot wine many moons ago, and tried it after 3 months, yuck, yuck, yuck. But one year later it was divine. A really rick deep flavour. This seems to be a similar recipe. Once I had boiled the beets I then pickled them.

First, chop up 3lb of your finest beetroots (in my case, secretly dig up Nick’s beetroots) and boil them using water from a full 1 gallon demijohn. Remove from the boil when they start to soften, but don’t turn them into mush. This should take around 35-40 minutes.

While the beets are busy boiling and stinking out your house, tip 3lb sugar, 1oz bruised ginger, the juice of a lemon, 6 cloves and the remaining water from the demijohn into a sterilised fermenting bucket.

Strain the boiled beets through a muslin cloth over your bucket mixture, then stir to dissolve the sugar. When the mixture is cool, add yeast and nutrient, cover and leave in a warm place, giving it a stir each day.

After three days, you’ll need to strain the mixture through muslin into an opaque demijohn and fit an airlock. When it clears, siphon into dark bottles. It’s important to try and use dark or opaque bottles and fermenting jars as the beetroot wine will turn a foul brown colour if exposed to sunlight, a bit like a Gremlin from one of those Gremlin films.

If you can’t get your hands on any opaque bottles, make like a park-bench tramp and wrap them in paper bags.

This booze should be ready in 6 months. Enjoy!
Parboil beetroot, roast, peel and blend with a dollop of low fat cottage cheese or ricotta with a TSP of paprika and a pinch of salt and pepper
Amazing dip!
I spotted this interesting recipe for chili with beans (the accompanying article about the history of chili is fascinating--evidently beans weren't originally in it!). I haven't tried it yet, but I can't wait: http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1016036/ ... pe=article
Still on the beetroot theme. I don't have my cookbooks here but I'm a fan of wafer thin raw beetroot as 'ravioli' with a pine nut cheese which tastes like goats cheese if you prep it well with lemon and tarragon. @fatdog, this might be a staple of yours but I wanted to draw it to your attention if you have not tried it. I can eat a very large plate of this and it is relatively low carb. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... gar-354390
rawkaren wrote: Still on the beetroot theme. I don't have my cookbooks here but I'm a fan of wafer thin raw beetroot as 'ravioli' with a pine nut cheese which tastes like goats cheese if you prep it well with lemon and tarragon. @fatdog, this might be a staple of yours but I wanted to draw it to your attention if you have not tried it. I can eat a very large plate of this and it is relatively low carb. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... gar-354390

It looks nice @rawkaren, Four cups of pine nuts over here would be about $16. But it looks sooo delicious I'm tempted.
Is there a trick with the beetroot? Does soaking it help it soften? One person said her beetrooy curled after soaking.
I wonder if i roast the beets? Probably fall apart.
Thankyou.
:like:
You don't need as much as four cups - that would make so much. I make it in small quantities. I eat the beetroot raw and slice it wafer thin. Best on a mandoline but mind your fingers.
43 posts Page 3 of 3