The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

17 posts Page 1 of 2
Roasted pumpkin seeds
18 Oct 2013, 10:33
I was looking for ideas of low calories food to serve with drinks and then I thought about what I loved to eat when I was a kid, sunflower seeds.

Here's the "recipe" (it's simple, wash the seeds, put them on a tray in the oven with a tiny bit of olive oil and let them roast

They are full of good stuff (protein, magnesium, phosphorus) and low in cal. It's a real change from all the crisps and salty food :wink:

http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/article-detail/Roasted-Pumpkin-Seed-Recipe-Pumpkin-Seeds-Nutrition-Facts-Calories/br/
Re: Roasted pumpkin seeds
18 Oct 2013, 10:40
Oh yum. I love pumpkin seeds :like:
18 Oct 2013, 10:41
Another recipe, even lighter and quicker

Ingredients

2 C. pumpkin seeds
1/4 C. lemon juice (fresh squeezed)
3/4 Tbs. salt

Directions

Dilute the salt with the lemon juice; then, mix in the pumpkin seeds. Keep mixing together until all seeds are very wet and soaked. Place seeds in a glass bowl and put in the microwave on very high temperature for 4 minutes. Take out and stir them very well and place back in the microwave for another 2 minutes.

Keep repeating for 2 minutes at a time, stirring in between until they are roasted (golden brown).
18 Oct 2013, 10:49
I wonder what they would be like with smoked paprika or chilli powder?
18 Oct 2013, 10:53
I would love to try with paprika...

you can even do sugary ones with sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg
18 Oct 2013, 11:10
At Christmas time (I know I should not mention this word to you Manderley), I roast almonds and cashews in a paste made with icing sugar, oil, salt, smoked paprika and chopped fresh rosemary. Might sound like an odd combo, but it's a hit every time with cocktails. :heart:
18 Oct 2013, 11:23
Mmmm thanks M
Delicious and as you said,far healthier than nibbles like crisps, full of wonderful minerals
I love seeds..i think i must be part budgie X ;0)
20 Oct 2013, 15:50
Just made them, one batch with paprika and one with cinnamon sugar

boiled them for 10 minutes

put them in the oven for 20 minutes (less for "normal" oven)

and here they are, golden and yummy :heart:
20 Oct 2013, 16:07
Picture please!
20 Oct 2013, 16:23
*hangs head in shame* I threw all the seeds away from my large pumpkin. I didn't know you could roast them.
22 Oct 2013, 08:06
Julie, they are tasty and really low in cal (if you don't roast them with loads of oil or butter, of course). I read you can do that with almost all the seeds, even the watermelon ones which was a bit of a shock. I may be try next summer

Karen it was wayyyyyyyy too late to take pictures but I have another Red Kuri Pumpkin and I'll probably do it this weekend (today and tomorrow are fast days and I hate cooking during those days) I'll took pictures. :wink:
22 Oct 2013, 08:58
Roasted pumpkin seeds are one of my favourite snacks for the weekend, but it's very difficult to find pumpkin seeds with shells in stores in Stockholm. And they're imported from this bullying nation of China, probably at too high temperature and not as healthy as they should be.

I've never seriously considered actually buing a whole pumpkin, it should be pretty low carb and try it out as some kind of substitute for rice, pasta and potatoes. I'll get the seeds as a bonus. Great!
22 Oct 2013, 12:05
I was just browsing a cookery blog ( yes, it's a fast day :wink: ) and found these recipes and remembered this thread.

http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2013/10/1 ... kin-seeds/
22 Oct 2013, 18:24
Michael H wrote: Roasted pumpkin seeds are one of my favourite snacks for the weekend, but it's very difficult to find pumpkin seeds with shells in stores in Stockholm. And they're imported from this bullying nation of China, probably at too high temperature and not as healthy as they should be.

I've never seriously considered actually buing a whole pumpkin, it should be pretty low carb and try it out as some kind of substitute for rice, pasta and potatoes. I'll get the seeds as a bonus. Great!

Pumpkin makes a delicious soup...ideal for a fast day!

Recipes here: 5-2-cookery-f29/topic2039.html
26 Oct 2013, 10:39
New batch today, and, as promise, a picture of it :wink:

It's a simple one with olive oil and fleur de sel (sea salt flakes)and, a bit of a kick, I put some herbes de provences while they were still hot

Image Uploaded with ImageShack.us
17 posts Page 1 of 2