The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Sweet potatoes
03 Nov 2013, 05:12
I was just wondering if these are okay to eat on fast days? I roasted a bunch of veggies yesterday for my fast and that included a sweet potato but I didn't actually count the calories for the meal I made (I know, lazy of me) I just wondered if they are good or bad when compared to regular potatoes.
Re: Sweet potatoes
03 Nov 2013, 06:06
There's no 'good' or 'bad' food. If you're asking about calories, they come in at around 85 calories per 100g; regular potatoes are around 78.
03 Nov 2013, 06:09
BTW I cooked THE most awesome recipe a couple of nights ago with the main ingredient sweet potato. It's a veggie korma from Jamie's "Save with Jamie" series and was completely amazing for taste. Each serve is only 334 calories too so it would be good for a fast day.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vege ... ower-pilau
03 Nov 2013, 07:51
I often have dhal with sweet potato and spinach on a fast day, it's delicious, though now I'm going to try the Jamie Oliver recipe, thanks Tara25! I would just say watch your portion size with sweet potatoes, I frequently buy 1 potato which is well over 500g and doesn't look that big so eating just 1 big-ish sweet potato on a fast day could be all your calories!
03 Nov 2013, 09:23
If going low carb they are 100g weight = 32.5 g carbohydrate and 93cals so you can do better with cauliflower which is 35 cal.
03 Nov 2013, 09:25
In their favour, they do have a lower GI than normal potatoes (and they do taste so yummy!)
03 Nov 2013, 09:28
I eat them loads but not on fast days. I slice them into fat chips, put them into a plastic bag, add oil, smoked paprika and salt, and massage. Tip onto a baking tray and bake for about 25 mins. Got my smoky, spicy fix and relatively low carb :like:
03 Nov 2013, 09:45
I don't eat them on fast days either, too sweet and not filling enough

If you want some ideas here's the link to the post I began this summer
http://www.52fastdiet.co.uk/5-2-diet-recipes-f5/topic6087.html#p65588 :wink:
03 Nov 2013, 09:49
Yes, on fast days, I substitute pumpkin.
9 posts Page 1 of 1