The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

9 posts Page 1 of 1
If you think the header was long.....
Don't know if I ever told, but almost 6 yrs ago I was struck with Bell's Palsy. That is half sided facial paralyses. Looked a terror, felt a terror and hated every moment I hav to look in the mirror. Over the years it has gotten much much better, not fully recovered - like I can't smile with that side which ends up making me feel like The Joker ;). For like 2 weeks ago the right eye started to clench while eating, a bit of a slur when I talked and the muscle in the upper cheeks felt funny, but I didn't do anything thinking what is there to do? Then the right eye had moments of real pain and water shedding like a waterfall. So I got an appointment with the eye doc yesterday morning, who suggested I contact the ear clinic that took care of me last time, who said I had to get a referral from my GP. Got an appointment just after lunchtime, he listed and referred me to the emergency room for testing maybe even a LP. There he had me in shiver, LP? They never did it the first time so why now? OK, home, got The DH and on to the emergency room which I know always have a LOT to do and prepared to wait forever. But after 1 hr they did some general test, blood testing a doc just looked over me briefly. Then back to the waiting room and The DH and waited for like 2.5 hr, met by yet one more doc who said yes, this is Bells Palsy again, some more blood tests and waiting for the doc again while she ran around saving lives. Prescription for a boost treatment of steroid and a referral to "my" ear clinic.
OK; this isn't the end of the world as I know it and it's not fatal, but a strike to my "this is not fair" side of things. So far it is not as bad and hopeless as the first time (hope the steroid treatment caught it early) and it does' show as much so my vanity is semi ok, but still.....Well at least I have magnificent titan hip implant LOL. And didn't had to undergo a LP - sweet relief.

After spending 4 hrs in the emergency room I must say I am so in awe of the people who work there under not the best conditions. The nurses I met worked double shifts, that is from 7 in the morning until the nightshift came on round 10pm and still managed to be caring, loving and fun all the time. They don't have enough beds or stretchers to go around, so people in severe pain hat to stay in the waiting room until one was freed. Top that up with working in the room where the ambulance patients are treated.... Told The DH that I kind of miss working in hospitals, most the operation wards...there is a certain feeling to that.

Time for some eye drops :bugeyes:
You can swear as much as you like in my opinion. Sounds like you`ve been having a stressful time, and a good swear in the right context is fine. Wishing you a speedy recovery after what must have been a frightening experience. Look after yourself.
:hugleft: Let it all out! No one here is going to squawk. Equanimity is great, but sometimes you have to vent! :hugright:
We're all adults here -- or at least I think forum rules say we should be since children shouldn't be fasting. So swear away.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this again and had to spend so much time in the ER/A&E/ED. I'm hoping it clears up nice and easily since you caught it early.

And yes, nurses are amazing. I don't know how they do it!
Sad to hear this Wolfie..life sucks at times,so you curse as much as you need to..much better than keeping it bottled up
So sorry Bells Palsy has happened again. Hope you' ll soon improve xox sending a big hug xx
Hey Wolfie! Swear away! Sometimes you just have to walk out the door and let er rip at the top of your lungs! Very sorry you are having to deal with this and sorry, too, that when you do get to where they can help you, there are still barriers. Yup, nurses are the unsung heroes of the medical profession. Doctors are great (often), but the heavy lifting falls on the nurses. The multiple shift thing--I understand it from the nurses' view, and even from the hospitals' point of view, but I don't think it works for the patients' benefit. Keep on taking care of yourself! You are in our thoughts.
Thanks all for caring and letting me swearing ;)
The kortison make me anxious and jittery, thankfully it's only a short (6 day) treatment and honestly, this time I think it helps. A bit. So I'm not as ugly on the outside as the first time, but I feel like I could sink me teeth into someone near me :grin: So I paint my nails and stamp them and feel the tiniest bit better. At least my nails look great. fasting is totally of and I'm feel fatter than ever. Gahhhhhh
Hi Wolfie,
I have been a nurse and/or midwife since 1983, I've seen a lot of Bell's Palsy, it's such a cruel affliction! I do hope your face returns to normal very soon, all the best
Yes you can say it, and why not shout it!
I'm sorry to hear you've got BP; having it for a second time is definitely not fair. Hope it resolves promptly.
All the best!
9 posts Page 1 of 1