The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

17 posts Page 1 of 2
Thought I'd pop in and tell those that may want to watch. BBC 2 now 9pm. MM The secrets of your food. Might be interesting. x
OMG DEE!!! How are you @JustDee??? We have missed you!
well, dang. Wish I could see it! Hopefully it'll be available to the US in some form at some point.
Hi Tracie, hope you're well. I've been AWOL for quite some time and yes I've also regained, as I seem to do each year over xmas. I decided to stay away from the forum because it's so embarrassing. I can do amazingly well on a plan and drop lb after lb, week in week out. On the flip side I can also do amazingly badly. I am aware that on this forum I sound much like a broken record. Lose,,, regain,,, start again,,, lose,,, regain,,, start again. I'm boring myself with it so I can't imagine anyone would want to read about it.

Since Xmas I've been attempting the BSD. Probably doing more harm than good the way I keep stopping and starting. I'll do a week, feel in the zone, lose 4 or 5 lbs, then fall off the wagon, swiftly regaining the lbs lost :( . Maybe BSD is not the way to go for me, for now.

I have made one major change recently. Something I've been wanting to do for years but not had the courage. I gritted my teeth, donned my leggings, walked past all the muscle men and joined the gym. This is massive for me. I don't really know what I'm doing at the moment but I'm learning all the time. I really needed a hobby, needed to get out more and needed to be more active, so this is great for me and I'm really loving it, much more than I thought I would. I only started last week. I went Monday Tuesday and Thursday. I found the days I went to the gym I ate better without really trying and it put me in a really good mood. Will be going tomorrow, I think I've even talked my friend into joining :) .

I'm so glad I've sat here for 10 minutes writing this, it's really helped me see things more clearly. First off the BSD isn't working for me at the moment. It's turned into more of a starve and binge sort of situation and that's never good. Secondly, if I'm finding eating well easier on days I've been to the gym, maybe that's what I should do. I think 5:2/4:3 is maybe what I need at the mo.

Thank you so much @Tracieknitsfor dragging me back in with your friendly Message. You really helped me think things over Xx
Hi @Zesty, you didn't really miss anything, the show wasn't any good after all. Don't waste your time trying to track it down. X
Hey @Justdee - great to hear from you! I don't think you should ever be embarrassed to post here. Weight loss is a lifetime struggle IMO and I think it is really the minority of people that don't have set backs, especially over the holidays. Check out my tracker, I go up and down a lot, but as long as I keep working at it, hopefully it will never get too out of control.

It is great that you've joined a gym though and are enjoying it! I recently realized that even though I don't do a whole lot of exercise, that what I was doing was making a difference. I've realized that, since I haven't really exercised in a couple of months. So I'm working towards getting back to that.

The forum is very slow, and we need as many people here to share their stories and offer encouragement, etc! Hope you'll stick around. We've started a weekly challenge, where you pick something you want to work on each week. You might want to check it out!
@justDee -- I am so happy to hear that I encouraged you to come back and share! :heart:

I gained back 5 pounds when my mom was hospitalized this fall and another 10 pounds over the holidays, for a total of 15 pounds heavier. We all have been where you are right now.

It's okay if BSD isn't working for you right now Not all things work for all people, or all the time for the same person. It's good to recognize when something isn't working for you and try something new. And congrats on joining a gym!! Exercise is crucial for good health. My husband finds that workouts suppress his appetite a bit too -- I'm a bit jealous of this because they just make me hungry most of the time LOL

You don't have to be perfect in your diet. You don't have to do BSD. You have enough knowledge to know what healthier choices are and less healthy choices. So if you need a break, try minimizing the unhealthy choices. Schedule them for specific times during the week - maybe as a reward for a workout. So if you work out three times, you get three rewards - and they can be whatever you want. Try to make portion sizes reasonable, but THOROUGHLY ENJOY what you do eat. Don't sneak it, scarf it (eat it really fast) and feel guilty about it. Savor each bite slowly and mindfully enjoy your treat. This is my favorite trick for not feeling deprived.

I was actually so in awe of you and @hazelnut20 and @candiceMarie because BSD is hard! Dr. M didn't seem to think people could commit to it for more than two weeks at a time, let alone forever. so maybe aim for his looser mediterranean style of eating, with disciplined treats?

And please feel free to come share with us when you're struggling. We so totally get it!
Hi @justdee

Lovely to see you back! Please stay. I echo the comments from Tracie and cblasz. I had a break from the forum for a while too.

Finding a way of eating that works for you long term is a challenge for many - most, probably. To break long term (bad) eating habits is not easy, and this has to be done for long term success, whatever "diet" you may try.

I am not a fan of severe calorie restriction diets. I know they work for some (though it seems to me often only in the short term) but I think the evidence is that more people have reactions similar to you, where restriction leads to bingeing and that awful cycle.

I believe that ideally if you can eat a wide range of nutritious whole foods, mainly veggies, good protein and fats (though not too much of the latter) and keep away from processed foods, then that is the best diet to aim for. Don't ban anything but, as Tracie suggests, try to savour every mouthful of those less nutricious foods (in fact, we should, savour every mouthful of all foods!!).

And we need to take time to reflect why we eat when and what we "shouldn't" and try to find strategies to change those behavior patterns. Not easy, as I said.

And I know how embarrassing it can be to admit to regaining weight, and I believe that many have left the forum for this reason (some for the opposite reason too of course) but I would hope that staying with the forum can help people get through the difficult times. There is a lot of support available here.

Best wishes and good luck. :clover: :smile:
@Sassy1, wouldn't basic 5:2, 500 calories in one day, count as a severe calorie restriction diet? There are some days that I don't mind doing it but even after 3 1/2 years there are other days that are really hard, particularly if I count every morsel that passes my lips (which I hardly do, so weight loss is very slow/not happening). I've got the tools and knowledge, skip the odd meal, but eat regularly on the other five days with plenty of treats, particularly Friday night-Sunday. Otherwise I'd feel I'm on a diet 24/7 and I wouldn't last. Although I don't spend as much time on the forum I still check it out most days I'm fasting. I wish we'd read more often how people are doing 3-4 years later, warts and all, pitfalls and lessons learnt.
Well I'm not Sassy, but no, I don't think the 500 calories of 5:2 counts as a severe calorie restriction diet, because it's only two days a week, preferably not two days in a row, with the other days being roughly 2000 calories a day. This is compared to the diet Dee had been doing, which was 800 calories every day, day in, day out, with carb restrictions on top of that.
Tracieknits wrote: Well I'm not Sassy, but no, I don't think the 500 calories of 5:2 counts as a severe calorie restriction diet, because it's only two days a week, preferably not two days in a row, with the other days being roughly 2000 calories a day. This is compared to the diet Dee had been doing, which was 800 calories every day, day in, day out, with carb restrictions on top of that.

Thanks @Tracieknits. After all this time I find twice a week eating only 500 calories severe enough. :grin:
I only have to be away a day or so and see all this activity! It's great to see discussion on issues.

I agree with @Tracieknits - I don't view 5:2 as a severe calorie restriction diet, for the reasons she gives. Whereas BSD is, also for the reasons she gives.

Like @wmr309, though, I do understand how one day of only 500 cals feels "severe"!! Which is why I only have a 500cal day if I have severely (!) overindulged the day before - in which case I am generally not really hungry and can manage with the lesser amount of food. I have light days from time to time, but again only because of some overindulgence which means I feel able to skip brekkie and minimise the evening snacks without too much pain(!).

I believe that 5:2 is a method that can suit some people to lose weight (it did me) but I don't think it should be a maintenance strategy - because that means "you" must be regularly overeating on the non-fast days, and ideally we should generally be eating to our body's needs each day.

If fast days are too painful, then don't do them! Find another way to manage your weight that suits you. I have found that increasing the amount of exercise I do is an enjoyable (and beneficial to my health and fitness) way to allow me the extra calories each day so I can have some chocolate or other less nutritious foods that I like. (I am fortunate to be retired to have the time to do this. Though I do have commitments so I need to go now and will catch up on all the other new posts later!)
Hallo, how nice to see this thread, it says everything that has happened with me too!
Over 4 years I went from 81 to 69 back to my current 80kg and so am a bit embarrassed to contribute any more.
I've recently started 'soup can weights' to try and help my weak arms. This year has been all illness for me so far, currently tail end bronchitis with added sciatica, but onwards I go, though with fewer steps in a day.
Happy March folks :bunny:
Interesting thread here. I was interested in Justdee's comment about binging whilst doing the BSD. As you will see from my little thingie at the bottom, I have been doing BSD since the end of July and have actually lost a stone altogether. This despite having had three holidays in December and one in September where I ate for England each time. The difference was though, each trip I did enormous amounts of exercise, lots and lots of walking.

I am in a position where I don't have access to a gym now, and don't get out walking as much as I'd like to as it's too hot. Do I binge? Probably I do, but I would say that it has been sustainable as I have binged on more 'healthy' options, nuts, peanut butter, coconut flour pancakes with yoghurt, cream. Not the things I would formerly have binged on, milk chocolate for example. Although that happens occasionally. And while I have binged the weight has continued to fall, although it has slowed down a bit now and I'm finding it harder. Fridays are my FIAF, aska sweary friend if you don't know what that is :grin: Usually it involves nice bread though and the odd croissant but it generally isn't too bad. I also chuck in the occasional total 24 fats when I'm in the zone. As long as I can maintain this I shall keep going with it. For me 800 calories per day with the odd higher amount is easier than two days of 500. I know that exercise is supposed suppress hunger but I don't find that!

Given I am a per menopausal lady of a certain age, I am surprised it worked tbh, but am relieved. I feel so much better, and comfortable, my blood sugar levels are normal, although psychologically I shall always feel overweight, even if I'm not. Too many years of conditioning I fear.

Just a few random musings.
Azureblue wrote: Hallo, how nice to see this thread, it says everything that has happened with me too!
Over 4 years I went from 81 to 69 back to my current 80kg and so am a bit embarrassed to contribute any more.
I've recently started 'soup can weights' to try and help my weak arms. This year has been all illness for me so far, currently tail end bronchitis with added sciatica, but onwards I go, though with fewer steps in a day.
Happy March folks :bunny:

Hi @Azureblue! Glad to see you back and I'm sorry to hear you've been ill. Well no need to be embarrassed -- we have ALL been there. Seriously.
17 posts Page 1 of 2