The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

28 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: New Look?
21 May 2013, 15:39
Skinny jeans will live for as long as boots will live. We wore them before they were a trend and we will after they aren't a trend any more.
I know that many women don't like them but it's because they don;t know how to wear them in order to flatter their body!!!
22 May 2013, 12:44
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have made an appointment with the personal shopper in Debenhams in Glasgow for June. Should be interesting and will post about my transformation to a fashion icon :lol: Honeybee, I visited the Uniqlo store in London but at the time nothing fitted, will visit again next time I'm there. A new TKMAXX opened here and I have had a look - it used to have great bargains, but not any more. Pretty expensive. I am a disaster at shopping in Primark, I never seem to find anything I like, yet my youngest daughter always finds stuff, cheap as chips and looks fabulous (possibly helps she's a size 8 :lol: )
22 May 2013, 13:15
Dhana, will you please report back? What did you say, what did you buy, how much money, etc...
Debenhams is one of me favourite shops but I get lost in there!
22 May 2013, 13:39
TML - sorry for delay in replying, I got sidetracked :smile: I told the personal shopper what I was looking for (i.e., in that instance work clothes), colours that I like and dislike and size. You can give as much or as little direction as you'd like. She just went out and brought me armfuls back! It was really a great way to shop as if I liked something but it was the wrong size - off she'd trot and bring it back to me... or in a different colour. None of this getting dressed and going back round the store again - brilliant system! While I was trying items on she'd go back on to the shopfloor and get some more! A couple of times I asked for her opinion on items and I felt that her response was honest and unbiased (eg in some instances telling me it didn't fit properly) at other times giving me items to try on that I'd never have picked for myself. I didn't feel under any pressure to buy. In fact she told me that she didn't work on commission and it made no difference to her wage whether I bought it all or nothing - she just liked her job !! Can't recommend it highly enough.
22 May 2013, 15:15
how fun! MY mom and I used to do that for each other, at the day after Christmas sales, so we could hold onto the dressing room. Makes you feel like a celebrity! It is sheer genius that a store would actually hire someone to do it, and great advertising for them that they chose to do it impartially.
22 May 2013, 15:46
OK, one last question: does anybody know how long in advance one should book the appointment?
22 May 2013, 15:48
You may need a week to 10 days - "book early to avoid disappointment" :lol:
22 May 2013, 15:58
Great, thanks!!!
22 May 2013, 16:27
Has anybody got an email for Debenhams? I tried to register online but they only accept UK/RoI residents...
22 May 2013, 17:15
Hi dhana!

What a great problem to have! I kind of went through the same thing a couple of years ago. (62 at the time) was going to Europe with 23 yr.old daughter, backpack, not wanting to look like one of those "typical middle-aged Americans" who invade every summer. Nothing fit because I had lost some weight--probably between a size 12/14.

I went to a moderately-priced store (Kohls) with a range of clothing from young trendy juniors to hip career girl to staid matron. It was very easy to load up on a bunch of things in different sizes (always a lot of variation in sizes) and head for the dressing room. I just tried them all on and got a feeling for what actually looked okay/pretty good. I didn't buy a lot because I was shopping for a purpose, but also because I planned to lose a lot more! I bought a couple of nice capris, a pair of trim black stretch pants, a few sleek looking sleeveless tops and a pashmina to cover up along with the jeans (dark wash, a little stretch, straight leg) that I wore on the flight. I also took a longish skirt that I left in a hostel in Firenze because it was too danged heavy to carry.

On our budget-friendly trip, my clothing worked out great. When I got home (10 lbs. lighter) the clothes continued to work for me. I really like capris--the longer (just a bit below mid-calf), kind of sleek with stretch in the fabric, kind. They look great with flats, heels,
sandals.

Have fun looking. Open your horizons because things you wouldn't have tried before will look great on you!
22 May 2013, 21:09
TML, just set the region to England and you can book an appointment, I don't think it matters where you are it's more what region are you looking for an appointment in. Otherwise there is a phone number on their site: 08445 61 61 61

Think I might book one too the next time I'm in the UK!
22 May 2013, 21:15
Thank you girls, both advice highly appreciated!!! :-)
22 May 2013, 22:30
Congratulations!

Every time I've gone down (or up!) a couple of sizes, I've done that exercise of choosing the 3 key words that describe me and then gone clothes hunting on Ebay using those key words + my size. You'll be amazed at how 'fitting' the clothes are that come up for you! ps. I always ask for measurements for the clothes if it's not mentioned, as sizes vary SO much from garment to garment.
28 posts Page 2 of 2