The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

28 posts Page 1 of 2
New Look?
21 May 2013, 10:02
I need a new look! Most of my clothes are too big now, hooray! I think I need to change my style as well, as I have been stuck in a rut for ages. I want to show off the new waist but in an age appropriate way - I can now fit into skinny jeans but I think I look ridiculous and on the other hand don't feel I'm quite ready for M & S Classics Range. My size now is 14, down from 16-18 and I am pretty sure I will get down to a 12 in a few months so don't want investment pieces, just some things to get me through the summer (What summer?!)I have not done a lot of clothes shopping since I put on a lot of weight, just found it too depressing, but I absolutely have to get some sort of interim pieces to stop me looking like a bag lady (and to stop hitching up my skirts and trousers - any ideas? :?:
Re: New Look?
21 May 2013, 10:18
Dhana, try on some dresses, if you are looking for a more feminine look. Dresses are so comfortable and come in all shapes and sizes. Thanks to my 50+ aunt, who made me try a fair amount of them and who wears very nice frocks almost every day, I discovered I do look like a woman when I wear a dress :)
21 May 2013, 10:23
Why don't you go for some nice dresses (ties at the back perhaps or elasticated waist) and/or wrap blouses/tunics that is a bit adjustable? And maybe add a few pairs of 3/4 lenght leggings. Then you can probably keep wearing them even when you're a size 12?
A belt to show off your waist could also be an idea.
Go treat yourself with some new clothes that make you happy - you've earned it!
21 May 2013, 10:27
I read a magazine article one about new looks. I've always been hopeless at styling myself but this actually helped!! It said you should choose 3 words to describe how you want to look, and if you cant tailor any of your existing clothes to fit these descriptions then chuck them out!! And whenever you buy anything new check it fits one of the 3 word descriptions.

For example, you might want to look: sophisticated, trendy and smart; or sexy, boho and sleek; or rocky, unique and modern.

And until you're ready to invest in a new wardrobe, it's all about the accessorising!! Mix up what you've got with belts, wraparound cardis, colourful leggings (cheap) and jewellery
21 May 2013, 10:34
Hit matalan , primark or somewhere else fairly cheap and see what's around
21 May 2013, 10:45
I'm loathed to tell you one of my fave online shops...but if you promise to keep it just between ourselves! :wink:

Have a look at http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/ a Japanese company who wants to dress 100 million women worldwide!

Their clothes are unusual, cheap, fashionable, and they have lots of collaborations with designers such as Orla Kiely and Celia Birtwell. By cheap, I mean a t shirt is £9.90 and a dress typically is £29.90.

Please don't get depressed, as you are a size 14 you are probably a large in most of their clothes! This is because they are primarily manufactured for the Asian market, where ladies are of more petite proportions. I am now a size 16/18, and I fit into their XL just fine. :grin:

Just a tip: sign up for their emails. Some of the popular items sell out literally within hours. You need to be VERY quick.
21 May 2013, 10:49
dhana, don't worry about dressing your age - my favourite designer is MDAL (Mutton dressed as lamb - LOL) and I have fun dressing! No twin set & pearls for me :>)
21 May 2013, 10:52
I suggest you dress to your body shape Trinny & Susannah did great books on this. Then treat yourself and get your colours done and your signature colour is your eye colour. Once you have both those foundations in place it's easier. As katastrofee says pick your style eg boho, rocker chic, hippy, classic. Then the fun begins.

Of course you can wear jeans but they don't need to be skin tight there are sleeker and flattering styles. Legging with tunics and nice jewellery, scarves and lovely shoes & statement handbag. Oh enjoy yourself Dhana
21 May 2013, 10:53
Debenhams do a free personal shopper service so if there's one in your area you could try them. I'm debating trying them when I've got down to a lower weight. I'm hoping a completely neutral opinion from someone who knows fashion will be very helpful!
21 May 2013, 13:51
I've used the Debenhams personal shopper service for work clothes and it was absolutely amazing. Spent nearly 2 hours in a dressing room trying on clothes that I would never have chosen for myself. I didn't feel pressurised to buy in any way whatsoever (although I did as I had a work clothing allowance) and I felt the advice was neutral and unbiased. When I get close to my target/goal weight I'm going to treat myself to going back and buying some casual/non-work clothes - it's going to be great fun! The only thing the lady asked was that I tried on the clothes she brought to me. I said I wasn't that keen on red these days as my skin does tend to take on a red hue sometimes later in the day and what with my red hair it could all be too much. She actually came back with what she called an Audrey Hepburn dress (red!!) and said - please just try it on. I did and it was absolutely fabulous and is now one of my favourites!! Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Have fun :grin:
21 May 2013, 14:47
Oh thanks for that recommendation Suchard007! I will definitely be booking them then. I'm going to need a whole new wardrobe for the summer holiday in August, which will need to be cheap as I won't be at my target weight, but already last year's summer clothes look like sacks on me. I'm going to book them for some time in July then, and hopefully be able to make the most of the summer sales too.
21 May 2013, 14:54
Dhana, I don't know how old you are but my mum is 60 and she shops from:
Primark, Monsoon, Dorothy Perkins, Next, New Look, Marks and Spencer, Zara, Debenhams (the Designers range), Jane Norman (are these still around?), Oasis, River Island and Burberry (I know it's chav in the UK but in Greece it's top).

I'm 38 and I shop from most of the above, plus H&M, TK Maxx, George by Asda (if I find meself in Glasgow) and Top Shop.

As you can see, not many things change shop-wise between us, it;s the different types of clothes that we choose that makes the difference...
21 May 2013, 14:57
Suchard, do you just tell them "I need new clothes" and they bring them loads for you to try? Do you tell them what you need them for? Give them some directions (no short skirts, no red&white stripes)? How does it work?
21 May 2013, 15:23
For cheap jeans to tide you over I recommend Asda and primark. Also dresses/tops with tie waist a big thumbs up. As they can go smaller with you
As for skinnie jeans they are on the way out. All the A listers celebs are sporting boot flares again so they will be back by winter. Mark my words! :like:
21 May 2013, 15:35
Loving this thread.
I used John Lewis personal shopper for my daughters civil partnership. Oops outfit I mean.
In the space of 2 hours I had the whole kit and caboodle.....right down to the undies, and accessories and felt like a million dollars by the time I left the shop.
28 posts Page 1 of 2