The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

9 posts Page 1 of 1
This American anglophile got some authentic bangers at my local butcher shop and I want to make bangers and mash tonight. We loved it when we were in England.

So - how do I make the onion gravy?

What's the best way to cook the sausages? Do I pan-fry them?

What's the best veg to serve with them? are regular garden peas a good idea, or should I go for something rustic like cabbage?

And yes, today is *not* a fast day! LOL I promise not to eat more than a reasonable portion.

THANK YOU!
Oh that's a great looking recipe - thank you!
Tracy, am I too late to offer advice? Sausages can be fried, grilled or done in the oven. If you fry them it is difficult to get them brown all over so I prefer the grill (is that what you call a broiler? Where the heat comes from above?) They release a lot of fat so if done under the grill put them on a rack over a pan to collect the fat. They also take longer to cook than you might imagine from the size of them as they are quite dense.

You can make onion gravy by frying finely chopped onions in a little fat perhaps rescued from the cooking sausages, when they are browned add some all purpose flour like you would if making a white sauce to make a roux. Make up some stock, vegetable or chicken probably, use to make the sauce by mixing in gradually to the roux. Season to taste and add some red wine if you have it and/or a dash of balsamic vinegar.
Oh thank you! I don't have any red wine on me, but I have a bit of sherry - would that work? Also have some nice calvados :-)

Yes, we call it a broiler in this country, when the heat comes from above. A grill here usually another word for barbeque, although there are litte george foreman type contraptions too. They are quite large sausages! Hubby is thrilled :-)
Sherry should work and I expect Calvados would too as pork and apples go well...but might be a bit too sophisticated for sausages!
I used the sherry and DH was in heaven!

Thanks so much :-)
I know you warned us, but i looked. And now all i can think about is sausages. <sadface>
Oh I'm sorry! You can imagine they must be dreadful since they were from the US ;-)
9 posts Page 1 of 1