The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

22 posts Page 1 of 2
Useful tips for 2015
31 Dec 2014, 17:30
:grin: Not started a thread for ages so as we say farewell to 2014 I wondered if any of you have any lessons, tips etc that have benefitted you this year and might be useful to others to carry forward into the New Year. :?:
I think mine must be that you are never too old or unfit to take up some form of exercise. I hated all forms of P.E., team games and sports at school ( horrible memories of freezing to death on a hockey pitch followed by even more horrible communal showers!), :cry: but since joining a gym on special 'senior' rates I have found I actually enjoy exercising with like minded people and look forward to the various classes I attend. :heart: So do give it a go, most gyms seem to have special offers on in Jan to entice folks to join, or just get out there and walk for a short time every day. Bet you'll be amazed at how good it will make you feel!
:like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like:
Re: Useful tips for 2015
31 Dec 2014, 17:57
You go girl..... I'm impressed by your exercise regime, like you say you're never too old.
31 Dec 2014, 18:24
My tip would be - ignore the scales - go by your clothes. You might be surprised!
31 Dec 2014, 18:35
It's a given that Comparison Is the Thief of Joy - to quote something I heard in Jan 2014 that struck me as a beautiful phrase - but on the theme of you're never too old or it's rarely too impractical:

86 year old gymnast Johanna Quaas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGxTv5u8IwM You can watch her interview/routine at the 5min point in the video

Somewhat odd story about a woman with chronic DVT who incorporated chair-based exercise to shed 153lbs to her current weight (drastic dietary modification also involved but I like her homespun chair exercise :) ): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... obile.html
31 Dec 2014, 21:50
I have no tips. Just keep on keeping on. We are in for the long haul.
31 Dec 2014, 22:54
My tip is to keep popping in to this forum, there is so much help and advice, friendship and laughter. Even when you have lapsed and want to start again we are all here for you.
01 Jan 2015, 01:06
Two things I learnt this year that I am passing on, how to stop worrying, and how to tame my chimp!!!!
It has only taken 50 years, but the brutal world of contracting has taught me not to worry about what is around the corner as I can't do anything about it, just do my best at the time. I also read the Chimp Paradox which has given me a better insight into my own emotional management, and that of other people! To borrow a useful phrase, not my circus, not my monkeys :lol:
Goodness, I never thought I'd be saying not to worry, as the biggest worrywort of all time, but there we are!!
Have a lovely 2015!!
01 Jan 2015, 01:25
Agree @Sallyo, we know what to do, so keeping on keeping on is certainly in my game plan. But I do also agree with @Debs, about not worrying. If there is something you can do to help or prevent whatever (negative) situation, then do it, but don't worry about it. Easier said than done, I know.
Best wishes to all for 2015 and beyond. :clover: :heart: :clover:
01 Jan 2015, 16:15
I totally agree with @Sallyoand @coffeetime! Keep on keeping on and keep on visiting the forum. The times I have fallen off the fasting bandwagon are the times that I have also not visited the forum. My other tip would be to not obsess about every detail of 5:2, or your particular form of IF. Give it a chance to work and don't change things too often!
01 Jan 2015, 17:10
rawkaren wrote: My tip would be - ignore the scales - go by your clothes. You might be surprised!

I'm a prime example of the "Rocks in the Pockets " syndrome. And that's when my attitude changed, when I realsied that I'm actually nearly there , attitude stands for a lot.
01 Jan 2015, 17:57
StowgateResident wrote: My other tip would be to not obsess about every detail of 5:2, or your particular form of IF. Give it a chance to work and don't change things too often!

I agree with you there @StowgateResident, I was going to suggest (but forgot when I posted here) that you shouldn't be too strict and serious with this WOE. Surely it's better to be more relaxed about it instead of worrying about every little calorie and then feeling guilty and possibly giving up - because it then ends up like any other diet where you have to watch every morsel every day.
01 Jan 2015, 23:38
Yes, I agree with not obsessing. If it's for a lifetime, then it doesn't really matter a few calories here or there, a few grams up or down. That matters if you are 'on a diet' which will end one day. But this won't end, It is our lifestyle. The most important an loveable thing about the 5:2 WOE is that it is sustainable. It won't be sustainable if you are going to worry all the time about slight aberrations.
02 Jan 2015, 09:47
If you're struggling, plan your nonfast days. Don't count calories necessarily, but have a healthy plan.
02 Jan 2015, 12:24
Similarly to what some others have said, my tip is to keep it simple, don't over complicate and obsess about eating, and don't feel that you have to do everything you read about on the forum (e.g exercise, cut out sugar, carbs, be mindful etc). If you want to do these things in a bid to eat more healthy foods of course that's fine but many people have lost weight doing simple 5:2 and not worrying about anything other than keeping their cals to 500/600 on fast days, it doesn't have to be more complicated than that, and adding in further restrictions can be counterproductive!
02 Jan 2015, 13:29
@Nicky_94 you expressed so well what I was going to say. My motto is "Do not try too hard". Stick by the rules of whatever style of fasting you are doing and be patient and relaxed about the results. Doing more such as fasting longer, eating even less and so on could make no difference, or even be counter-productive.

If you do want to experiment with changing the kind of things you eat to see if there is any impact on your weight, mood, energy levels, aches and pains etc, do one thing at a time for several months. Too much change in too short a time can be overwhelming, and if you do end up feeling better you won't know what actually did the trick. It might just be fasting itself, but if you give up sugar or caffeine or whatever at the same time as you start fasting, you will never know!
22 posts Page 1 of 2