The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

14 posts Page 1 of 1
We had such a fantastic time. A week in Scotland is not enough time. It's a really, really beautiful country. We especially loved the Highlands, and we all definitely want to go back. We got to meet up with the lovely @Wildmissus and her equally lovely daughter for a great visit.

We were really impressed by pretty much everything in Scotland - the people, the food, the scenery, the history. Orkney was especially wonderful, even though our one day there was marked by a storm so bad the pilot announced we might have to turn around and go back to Inverness! We did manage to land, but the day was cold, rainy, windy and fairly dark, especially considering the sun didn't set until about midnight. The rest of the weather was fantastic and we were really able to enjoy the gorgeous scenery of the highlands. We both found several new whiskies we love, and our son has a few new favorite foods.

To be honest, as much as we love Paris, it was almost a let down after the Highlands. It was difficult to change gears to the urban vibe of Paris, with its much faster pace. Shockingly, we found Scotch whisky is cheaper at the Monoprix in Paris than it is in Scotland - and the Monoprix isn't known for low prices! Still, we do love visiting France.

But we are home, and I broke my rule of not weighing the day after an airplane ride. I know I really ought to give it three days for my body to settle out >.< because today was 3.5 pounds higher than the day we left on vacation.

Hopefully I will get all of this laundry and cleaning done and will be back to posting regularly by tonight :-)
So glad you had a good time @tracieknits! Next time you visit we must arrange a bigger meet up!
So pleased you had a great time Tracie,with the added bonus of meeting our lovely WM and DD xx
Welcome back, @Tracieknits!

Sounds like a fabulous holiday. :) And hopefully the 3.5lb gain will shift pretty quickly. You were very brave to stand on the scales!

Best wishes for getting back into the swing of things. :clover:
Loved following your trip on FB. Wonderful pictures. Your weight will soon settle and you will be back on the wagon.
I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Yes, a week is certainly not enough. We spent a week on Orkney a couple of years ago and that wasn't enough time....
Hopefully you will be able to return.
Hi, I love Scotland too. I smile when I read about your plane trip.
Don't worry about those pesky holiday pounds, the excess baggage will soon disappear, new water weight always does.
So glad you enjoyed the Highlands. I was so sorry that I couldn't meet you, DH and I were babysitting down in Glasgow. Hopefully since you enjoyed it so much you will be back again at a time I will be available .
Thanks so much everyone!

I am trying to sort through photos for photobucket, Here's a link with photos for the first few days (Edinburgh to Inverness) http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/Traci ... t=3&page=1. Here's the (poorly written and disjointed) trip report I wrote up on Trip Advisor - mostly to thank people for the advice that they gave and to let them know that it was a huge help in making a wonderful trip. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1 ... tland.html

My son has said he loves the highlands so much that he wants to move there! We told him that while there's a slight chance of getting my husband an job in Scotland (slight - my husband's work is so specialized that it's hard to find the right job, but it is also so specialized that if they need him, pretty much any country would let him in due to his unusual skill set), there's just not that kind of work in the highlands. It was so stunningly beautiful, really. But he has exchanged emails with Wildmissus' DD and they'll keep in touch provided he remembers to actually CHECK his email account >.<

It was so wonderful meeting up with @Wildmissus - and so interesting how much we had in common. We both have the experience of moving to a small town where people have lived there for generations and think that I'm a newcomer for only having lived here 15 years :-P She and her daughter were so sweet to come and spend time with us. I though it was definitely amusing that our two 14 year olds have such similar tastes and watch the same youtubers :-)

I'm still tired and out of sorts - trying to get the laundry and housecleaning sorted, adn trying to get back to my time. I'll try to be better about coming back more promptly :-)
I'm making a chicken tikka masala curry right now with Schwartz' seasoning and a jar of Sherwood masala that I got at Tesco :-D
@Tracieknits, I've been thinking about you and watching the weather over the last week or so. I couldn't believe the weather you had on Orkney but the rest of the time it didn't seem too bad. I've had a look at your photos and I'm so pleased to see that you found quite a few standing stones and a highland cow! Last Sunday I went down the A9 with the girls and we were wondering if you saw a highland cow. Is one if you son's favourite foods now deep fried mars bars? I'd glad you enjoyed your holiday in this part of the world, I do enjoy living here but I wish it could be a bit warmer - 13c and rain today - maybe one day you'll be house hunting here! We had a great time meeting up with you and it was amazing how similar we are especially our 14 year olds. I think you did really well only to have put on 3.5lbs, it'll be gone in no time. Back to reality now!
Oh we saw highland coos a few times, @Wildmissus and we were delighted each time. There's a field of them next to the parking lot for Culloden, which makes a sad place less sad. There was a field of them (in several colors) on the way to The Glenlivet distillery. And we saw some of them in the Western highlands, but now I'm forgetting exactly where. We did do a lot of driving!!

I actually didn't mind the rain on Orkney. Yes, it was cold for summer, but we had actually brought appropriate clothing, so we were warm and dry. The scarf was a bit of an indignity, but it was amusing. I pretty much expected Orkney to be cold and rainy, because when I've read about Orkney, that's always how I pictured it. And if you get me near anything neolithic, I'm pretty happy :-)

I've lost two of the pounds already, so I'm thinking water had something to do with it. I wasn't even particularly well behaved in the past two days, having chinese leftovers for lunch, and eating more british chocolate than I really should. The stash we brought home was rather astounding. I think we had 30 curly wurly, 24 (small) cadbury dairy milk, and somewhere around 30 Mars bars (I do not intend to deep fry any of them), along with plenty of other assorted singles (mostly different Galaxy flavors) and about six packs of Kinder Bueno minis. My son also picked out three different jars of hot chocolate, just for comparison purposes LOL. I bought a Schwartz tikka spice mix, and we had it last night - it was delicious!!

Aidan's back in school this week - just this week - and he's looking forward to that being over with tonight so he can finally relax.

Well I'm off to get some walking in and try to be a better faster. I'm planning on starting 8 hour eating windows today. Fingers crossed I make it fasting until 1pm
Tracieknits wrote: The stash we brought home was rather astounding. I think we had 30 curly wurly, 24 (small) cadbury dairy milk, and somewhere around 30 Mars bars (I do not intend to deep fry any of them), along with plenty of other assorted singles (mostly different Galaxy flavors) and about six packs of Kinder Bueno minis.

What, no Cadburys Twirls, @Tracieknits ? My favorite - I am now down to my last little Twirl pack from our European trip last month!!!!!! :cry: :cry: Can't even buy a Flake here anymore. :frown:
lovemyparrot wrote:
Tracieknits wrote: The stash we brought home was rather astounding. I think we had 30 curly wurly, 24 (small) cadbury dairy milk, and somewhere around 30 Mars bars (I do not intend to deep fry any of them), along with plenty of other assorted singles (mostly different Galaxy flavors) and about six packs of Kinder Bueno minis.

What, no Cadburys Twirls, @Tracieknits ? My favorite - I am now down to my last little Twirl pack from our European trip last month!!!!!! :cry: :cry: Can't even buy a Flake here anymore. :frown:

Oh my, I've never heard of a twirl >.< Ok, I googled it and a chocolate covered flake does sound nice. Have you tried Amazon.com? I wouldn't order until October, but the marketplace sellers might be able to hook you up :-)
14 posts Page 1 of 1