The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

39 posts Page 1 of 3
What's your cup of tea?
13 Jan 2015, 10:01
Prompted by a question from @wendyjane, I thought I'd post about our 'cuppas' around the world.
Here in Wales, we call a 'cuppa' a 'panad' and it only refers to tea. I'd never call a herbal tea a 'panad'!
So, tea drinkers, infusion drinkers, coffee buffs, what is your preferred 'hot drink'?
Do you take it with milk, lemon or cream? Or coconut? Or plain?
Please, do tell...
Re: What's your cup of tea?
13 Jan 2015, 10:06
Hi Pens,lovely to see you and Happy New Year x
I like builders tea..usually PG tips ..Sometimes i drink Assam
I dont enjoy drinking tea from a mug,prefer cup and saucer..taken quite strong with v little milk,no sugar.
I prob have about eight cups a day! Cannot get into herb teas,roobush etc but i likeMoroccan Mint
Ive always just called tea " tea" but my mum called it " cha" and an ex of mine called it " Charlie" which means something different these days! :lol:
13 Jan 2015, 10:15
caffeine- made with ground beans- strong and black just like my soul!
Anything else is a 'coffee flavoured hot beverage'
don't drink tea at all- nasty stuff
occasionally have herbal- call that a cuppa - (autocorrect keeps making it 'culpa' :bugeyes:
13 Jan 2015, 10:54
I drink tea and coffee. Assam, English breakfast etc with milk no sugar. Please don't serve me earl grey - tastes like perfume.
I prefer proper coffee and have a wonderful machine that grinds the beans etc. Also heats the milk. Coffee of choice is a flat white - that's a bit like a latte.
We just call tea tea and coffee coffee
13 Jan 2015, 11:05
Long-time coffee drinker; I like it STRONG, make it using an Aeropress http://www.aeropress.com/ and drink it BLACK. Several years ago I did constitutional homeopathic treatment and couldn't have coffee for about two years. :frown: But, I got into tea big-time during that period and experimented with a bunch of different types, including blacks (prefer Chinese blacks, Yunnans), oolong, greens, whites. Now I limit my coffee, usually just one cup in the morning, then have various types of tea throughout the day; fortunately, I like it plain, though will add fresh lemon to certain black teas. I also like herbals (technically a "tisane"); in fact, sounds good about now!

For awhile I was making coffee for myself and a friend, and got into a bad habit of putting condensed milk (aka "pure evil") in my coffee. Now, I do that maybe once a month with a nice brunch.

Re: cups...I'm a little weird, have special mugs for each type of drink; I don't like giant mugs and am very picky about how it feels in my hand. Sometimes I'll make up a pot of tea and use a small teacup, more likely with greens. One of my faves is a combo of gunpowder green with either peppermint or spearmint.

Another way that I'm super picky is I use only spring water (we actually get the water from a local spring; it's incredible!), and bottled in a pinch. My old work, some people used the InstaHot water for their tea...shudder!
13 Jan 2015, 11:07
A "cuppa" to me is hot, strong builders brew tea in a big mug, tiny dash of milk and no sugar.
Coffee is awesome and my morning essential but I don't tend to call that a "cuppa".

Herbal/infusion/flavoured rubbish or anything cold is NOT a cuppa!!!
13 Jan 2015, 11:54
@Janeg made me LOL before 7am!

I like "cafe noisette" - an espresso with just a splash of milk in it. I have a nespresso machine at home and I often pull long shots in the winter. I have a cider bowl that I bought in Dinan, Brittany which I use for long shots or doubles. and I have my grandmother's china cup collection which includes some gorgeous demitasses when I have regular sized shots. Although sometimes I'll just use a few touristy "Paris" small espresso cups when I feel clumsy or that I don't want to be delicate with antiques.

I do like herbal tea in the winter at night - especially chamomile and raspberry leaf. Preferably in a china cup and saucer.
13 Jan 2015, 11:59
I call tea "tea"
My mum used to call it "cha" and it used to be "mashed" in a big Brown pot.

I drink tea and coffee from mugs, the larger the better. I find small mugs so annoying that I keep a mug in my suitcase to use if the ones provided in hotel rooms or holiday cottages are too small.

At home I drink decaffeinated Alta Rica, no milk, no sugar. If eating out I may go for a cappuccino.

Tea is never with milk or sugar either. Regular tea or Earl Grey with lemon, green tea with or without Jasmine, lemon or ginger. I like many but not all of the Pukka spicy teas. I am not crazy about peppermint. In general I don't like fruity teas, but Pukka elderberry and Echinacea is an exception.
13 Jan 2015, 12:18
I'm currently adding cream to my (real) coffee, though black on full fast days, Pukka teas are lovely. I have a tea mug and a coffee mug.
Nice to see I'm not alone in my pickiness of hot beverage!
13 Jan 2015, 12:20
Can't bear tea. Ever since I was a kid - my family used to drink it by the bucketload. I don't like the taste of the tannins and it hurts my stomach. I will on very rare occasions drink an Earl Grey which the teabag has just been shown the water.

Black coffee - sadly now decaf. Americano or expresso.
Noisette or Cortado (as Tracieknits) sometimes after a meal.
Bulletproof coffee if I want calories (normally liquid fast days)
Rooibos Chai (Like the DragonFly and TeaPigs versions)
Matcha if I'm feeling healthy.
Mint tea if I'm feeling off colour.
Hot water with a slice of lemon if I'm feeling virtuous.
Camomile at bedtime (I like the Clipper one with valerian and cinnamon)
13 Jan 2015, 12:26
Good old fashioned builders tea for me strong lots of milk two sweetners or twinnings chai tea and chai latte. That's it for me. Costa does the best chai latte, I've tried and tested them all.
13 Jan 2015, 13:49
Hi all,
for me it is coffee in the morning, a must :grin: I drink it with a teaspoon cream. Both fast and feast days. That is the luxury I allow myself and I do not even know the calories (do not want to either :wink: )

My favorite teas are organic Ayurveda-teas. Heartwarming & Lemon-ginger by YogiTea and Purity Flame by Shoti Maa. Today I tried to get Purity Flame at my organic shop in the neighborhood. They took it out of the product range :shock: Image ARGH
Good is: I will combine my desire for that tea with a little bike sport.

I find it also important what cup I use. Especially on fast days I use my favorite one with saucer Image

Cheers
M up for making afternoon fast coffee with cream Image
13 Jan 2015, 14:52
I like my coffee to be a strongly-brewed dark roast with a little half n half (perhaps what you call light cream in the UK?)--one 12-ounce mug at breakfast and one at lunch--no more than that if I expect to sleep at night. My rare cup of tea is just regular Orange Pekoe, straight or with a slice of lemon. If I've been out on a very hot and humid summer day, I may cool off by pouring a hot tea or coffee over a large glass, mug, cup, whatever, full of ice cubes--sipped through a straw, it's very cooling and refreshing.

We don't use any names like "cuppa" or the like.

My grandmother with the English parents lived with us when I was a child--my sisters and I sometimes had "tea parties" with her that always included milk and sugar in the tea and cookies on the side. Nanny always had a cup of tea fortified with a shot of whiskey at bedtime. :grin: She was a grand old girl!!
13 Jan 2015, 15:11
I'm in Boston USA. I drink a lot of different teas. Right now, I've been drinking some wonderful maple vanilla and almond teas I picked up, but Earl Grey is a common favorite. I drink my tea with milk and fake sugar. Milk is pretty uncommon for Americans, I'm told, but maybe it's because I had an au pair from Wales as a teen?
I also like fruity herbal teas, and in the summer I like iced tea.

I love the British expression "cuppa", but I don't have a similar one. I love a giant mug of tea so I don't have to fill it too often, especially since I don't like it too hot, and (I know this is weird!) I like to drink it with a straw!

Liz
13 Jan 2015, 17:54
I drink tea in a big mug and call it a 'brew' (my other half winds me up about that because he's a Londoner). Yorkshire Tea for preference (though I'm from Lancashire) in a lovely HUGE Fat Rascals mug I bought from Betty's in York (I think it's meant to be for hot chocolate, but who cares?) I like it quite milky but not weak if that makes any sense and no sugar. Don't really like coffee apart from the odd cappuccino from Costa but I hate the aftertaste it has so not a fan. Tea reminds me of childhood and is therefore comforting. I like peppermint tea too but the smell reminds me of pencil shavings. Am I just weird?
39 posts Page 1 of 3