The FastDay Forum

Delighted or Disappointed?

21 posts Page 1 of 2
A down side to low carbing
17 Feb 2014, 10:41
...is when you slip off the wagon ever so slightly (and I'm not deluding myself about what I ate) and the weight just PILES on. In my case 2kg in 2 days!!!!! Had a 'bad' (for me) eating weekend where I didn't binge or anything but probably went 500 cals over TDEE on Sat and Sun and had around 100g carbs Sat and 124g carbs on Sun (where I normally like to eat around 55-75g daily). Have put on 2kgs since Thurs am and am incredibly grumpy this morning as a result. I know it's probably water retention but it'll take me a good couple of weeks to lose that and I find it slightly depressing that if I ever fall off the low carb wagon this appears to be my fate. Lost the old mojo a bit tbh. It's a fast day today and I really am NOT in the mood!!!
Re: A down side to low carbing
17 Feb 2014, 11:02
Oooh I can sympathise as I've had exactly the same thing over the last week or so. I realised I hadn't been properly listening to my body which needed a refeed and so I loosely followed 16/8 and ate what I fancied and up went the weight by 2 kgs.
Yesterday I woke up feeling good and positive so decided to fast and see how long I could go before I really felt hungry, and it became a 24 hour fast and dinner of mackeral and veg was SCRUMMY!
Today I weigh 1.4 kgs less WOOHOO!
So m'dear, if your body says it's needs food, listen and eat something you want and stop and listen again.
Good luck :0)
17 Feb 2014, 11:04
I know how you feel. Too much baking, curries with rice, bread and alcohol over the weekend; up 2kg in less than 72 hours. :confused: Plus fasting was hard today! :starving: I mainly had fluids today so am hoping the scales are kind tomorrow.
17 Feb 2014, 11:05
hope you enjoyed your carby treats! X life is too short to not indulge now and again!
easy to lose yr mojo when you see the scales go up,but surely it won't take a couple of weeks to lose again...its not fat,its only water after all! Tho i know how scary it looks when the scales go up!
Fasting - i think we have to accept there' ll be easier and harder days.i have to take them strictly one at a time,or i feel overwhelmed..
Hope you get yr groove back soon, i bet you will! X
17 Feb 2014, 11:05
Hi @loversghost

I do sympathise and know how you feel, but try not to despair or feel too grumpy! You have done fabulously well on this WOE, and it is only human to have times when we don't stick to our TDEE and also eat foods we have been trying to avoid (tho hopefully you did enjoy them when you had them?).

That 2 kg may also be waste that your body has yet to expel (!) - it is very unlikely to be much fat, which is the main thing we are worried about.

I know you do not feel like fasting, but I am sure that previous experience has shown you that a fast day is the best response to an over-indulgent carbs diet - and you may find that it only takes a couple of fasts for that 2 kg to disappear. That has certainly been my experience.

So stick with it, and hopefully those scales will soon make you smile again. :)

Best wishes :D
17 Feb 2014, 11:10
I had a carb heavy (in 'the olden days', it wouldn't have been a carb 'heavy', just ordinary) say on Saturday. Tried to rein it in yesterday and achieved 75g.
Today, I'm aiming for 60g and about 550 cals.
Hope you repair the 'damage' soon xx
17 Feb 2014, 11:30
Thanks for all your encouraging replies and good advice - that's why this forum is so invaluable, even when I'm just having a whinge :-) I do sort of wonder what a happy medium carb wise is though? Different for everyone I suppose.

Thanks again
17 Feb 2014, 12:39
Refined carbs have a NASTY way of making you hungrier....try and fill up on the green variety.....I know it's not exciting, but isn't it rather odd that you might crave biscuits, chocolate or cake but not broccoli? I am beginning to think that refined carbs are definitely addictive. I know that life is short but life could well be a lot shorter with those naughty refined carbs. What exactly are they doing to me & you to cause addiction and water retention and 'the rest'! :confused:
17 Feb 2014, 12:52
Love your new avatar @Auriga had to have a closer look :lol: very cute. Agree it is all very weird we don't crave the good stuff but I now crave cheese but with celery doesn't work at hitting the spot as well as the crackers damn it. Still thinking from a high carb mindset
17 Feb 2014, 15:51
*whispers*
I sometimes crave brocolli or cauliflower. I think i'm a bit weird
17 Feb 2014, 16:04
janeg wrote: *whispers*

Me too! And cabbage and kale. Not quite got to eating raw brussel sprouts yet though!
17 Feb 2014, 16:08
rawkaren wrote:

Me too! And cabbage and kale. Not quite got to eating raw brussel sprouts yet though!

Don't actually CRAVE them @rawkarenbut raw Brussels sprouts are lovely shredded in a salad. Also love them roasted with coconut oil and balsamic vinegar. Yum!
17 Feb 2014, 16:11
callyanna wrote:
rawkaren wrote:

Don't actually CRAVE them @rawkarenbut raw Brussels sprouts are lovely shredded in a salad. Also love them roasted with coconut oil and balsamic vinegar. Yum!

You can buy them here in at the Whole Foods deli shredded as salad with pecan nuts. I tried them, they tasted lovely but I had a reaction (assume the dressing), so I will have them again, but will make them myself next time :like:
17 Feb 2014, 16:30
Take a deek at my tracker @loversghost - the big up-spikes are when I've gone carb heavy (just 100g or so of carbs will do for me sometimes), and it can take up to a week for the scales to recover. But they do recover.

The-mad-Ferriss says to schedule a "binge" day, and I rather agree with him - either Saturday or Sunday (possibly both!!!) is an indulgence day where I take my carb grams into the realms of 3 figures. At least, that's the plan :)
17 Feb 2014, 17:05
Sorry to be dim but who or what is 'the mad_Ferriss'?! Thanks for the advice - I think it makes sense. I just got annoyed that not even a massive carb binge on my part provoked 2kg on. Doesn't seem fair!!!!
21 posts Page 1 of 2