The FastDay Forum

Delighted or Disappointed?

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Being realistic
17 Apr 2015, 08:46
So my OH and (real-world fasting buddy) told me at the start of this week that he has reached his goal weight. My first thought was "eeek, I'm not even close! How will I keep going on my own?" But I've been sitting down and looking again at the goals I set myself, and reading the articles on this site about goal setting (which I really should have read at the time, rather than now...). I've realised I was being pretty ridiculous with my goal setting. What's worse is that this is my second time round on the 5:2 so I really should know better!

This time round, just after New Year this year, I filled in my goals on my tracker and put the lowest weight I reached last year on 5:2 as my interim goal rather than my final goal, then knocked off a few more pounds to come up with a final goal. Looking back, this was silly as last year by body firmly decided how low it was prepared to go with the weight loss and stubbornly plateaued there. So I don't think I can realistically expect it to go much lower this year!

I'm currently 2 lb above the weight I reached last year, and actually feeling pretty good. So I'm thinking that for the time being, I will set my maintenance weight range as between the weight I am now and the 2 lb lower I was trying to get to as my interim goal. Then see what happens with trying to stay at that range. That will keep me hovering around a BMI of 22.5, and give me an idea of where my body really wants to be weight-wise.

So lesson learned, and I would encourage anyone else who is having trouble with their weight goals to read https://www.fastday.com/fasting/what-should-be-my-goal-weight/ if they haven't already!
Re: Being realistic
17 Apr 2015, 12:16
22.5 is definitely a good BMI to be at! And the smaller you are the harder it is to maintain. So, that sounds like a great plan. Good luck!
17 Apr 2015, 12:38
I would be more than happy with a BMI of 22.5 or even 23, 24 or 25.
17 Apr 2015, 14:14
I think that sounds like a fantastic plan :-)
17 Apr 2015, 16:44
Very wise words!

Well done you for all your efforts & success! 22.5 sounds absolutely marvellous......
17 Apr 2015, 23:31
Congrats to your OH on reaching his goal. I don't think you'll be on your own, as weight maintenance (if the people here are anything to go by) still involves fasting.

Also, your new goals sound similar to my decision recently to have 63-65kg as my maintenance range. 63 kg was my original goal weight, and I did get there, but I didn't stay there long, and never got back there again, in spite of lots of fasting! Staying below 65 seems doable, though. I finally accepted that my body was telling me something.
18 Apr 2015, 06:13
Very sensible - and nice reminder that there's a good time to read the goal setting article!
18 Apr 2015, 07:18
Firstly congrats to your OH and fasting buddy, don't forget that he will need to maintain so occasionally will be able to join you on your fasting days. Otherwise he will gain it all back.
Secondly congrats to you also for getting to where you are today.
22.5 is a great BMI and I'd be concerned about attempting to get it any lower. But your body has made that healthy decision for you hasn't it ........
18 Apr 2015, 09:35
Hi @fancyacuppa I agree with what the others have said. My bmi is currently 21.68 and I have bobbed around the same weight since beginning maintenance 14 months ago. I weigh every day and am 3lb over the weight I was this time last year. I really have to pay attention all the time to stay around target and mostly do 16:8. I am perfectly happy with the weight fluctuations, I know my clothes fit well and I eat a huge variety of healthy foods. I am convinced that our bodies find their own health happy weight so I would say just relax and don't worry about the numbers as long as you feel good. Have a look at my tracker, I'm happy with the story it tells :smile:
20 Apr 2015, 09:24
Thanks all for the positive replies, currently I am feeling much more contented with myself since re-evaluating my goals. I think it is tempting with 5:2, simply because it does work, to be a little over-zealous with goals and think 'actually, this seems to be working, I could drop some more pounds'. Having a site like this, where you can share experiences and come out of your own head for a while is a fantastic thing.

Sallyo wrote: I would be more than happy with a BMI of 22.5 or even 23, 24 or 25.

@Sallyo thank you for posting this, it really made me take a step back and think about how my 5:2 journey has been and I'm feeling a lot more grateful for everything that has gone right with it. I wish you every success with your own goals.
10 posts Page 1 of 1