The FastDay Forum

Delighted or Disappointed?

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Cranky
17 Jan 2015, 01:51
Hi,
Every fast day I'm eating 100 calories of protein at lunch which holds me over until about an hour before dinner where I have 400 calories. But on that fast day, I come home from work super cranky, can't concentrate on conversations, and can barely hold my own conversation. Sure hoping that goes away in the future or I'm afraid my family will not like me much!
Re: Cranky
17 Jan 2015, 02:08
You poor thing. If you're not vegetarian why not try my trick. Chicken bone broth ( home made if you can- google ' wellness mama for the great health benefits) make sure its salted well. It really solves the trick at about 20 calories a cup ( or up to 40 if its very gelatinous) but it fools you onto feeling like you've had a meal and I'm sure our body is craving the salt.
Best wishes,
Xxx julianna
17 Jan 2015, 02:26
Yes, I can relate to that. I used to come home from work on Thursdays really cranky. I just had to tell my OH not to talk to me until I had organised dinner. I also tried to have dinner ready in advance so that I could just come home and dinner would be there. I am a lot better now. Fasting can be tough. Families have to be understanding.
17 Jan 2015, 11:38
Hang in there Marissa it gets better with time. Lots and lots of drinks and as Sallyo said having dinner organised before hand makes it easier. I also find not eating anything all day is actually better as I'm not teasing my hunger with a little bit of food.
17 Jan 2015, 21:26
Marisa wrote: Hi,
Every fast day I'm eating 100 calories of protein at lunch which holds me over until about an hour before dinner where I have 400 calories. But on that fast day, I come home from work super cranky, can't concentrate on conversations, and can barely hold my own conversation. Sure hoping that goes away in the future or I'm afraid my family will not like me much!

Yep - I remember that...like PMS with a vengeance only a lot more often than once a month. A woe betide my Mr if dinner was on the table late on fast days!

It did get better for me - I think the salty broth of a miso soup helped with the concentration, and I learned to control the emotions better too, I think. I seem to remember reading something about burning fat and increased hormone levels - if I remember rightly oestrogen is stored in fat cells, so breaking down fat cells releases more oestrogen into the body (hence the moods and weird menstrual cycle for a while). So being aware of what was going on in my body (plus making sure that dinner was a little earlier on fast days) helped me get through it.
17 Jan 2015, 22:33
It sounds as though this might be a great opportunity to make up a good batch of thick soup and have it ready for these sort of emergencies. Its very filling and warming and will help keep you going until dinner time...hopefully!
Good luck. It will get better...honest! :wink:
17 Jan 2015, 23:23
Ditto on the salty broth advice. It's amazing what a difference that can make and then I can save my 500 for dinner. It is worth it at the end of the day, when you've actually gotten through it, you have another one under your belt. Good luck.
18 Jan 2015, 00:59
1/2 a protein bar mid afternoon maybe. you can make them yourself (plenty of recipes on google) or get a Quest bar from supermarket/healthfood store.
18 Jan 2015, 02:18
Thank you all, I will definitely try the broth.
21 Jan 2015, 21:15
Has it been any better this week?

I agree that you need to tell your family "I'm hungry! and that makes people cranky" - warn them in advance and let them know it's coming, then if needed, apologize if you're particularly dreadful before eating. I know I'm super understanding when my husband is hungry/fasting/cranky and I want him to lose weight and be healthier - so I know from the other side it's easy to forgive and forget it.

Having dinner ready before fast day is crucial. We nearly always have leftovers on fast day.

Broth or bouillon is absolutely a fast-saver! 10 calories and very well spent.

Finally, have you tried skipping lunch? I actually find I'm hungrier when I eat on a fast day. I can't split my calories into lunch and dinner, it makes me both hungrier and crankier in the afternoon.

Good luck!
23 Jan 2015, 08:30
Yes, how's it going @Marisa??
Xxx julianna
23 Jan 2015, 17:24
Hi @Julianna ~ everything is going great! The broth idea really helped. This WOE is so easy to do. I don't even feel like I'm dieting!! Thanks for checking on me :)
12 posts Page 1 of 1