The FastDay Forum

Delighted or Disappointed?

12 posts Page 1 of 1
So I am making a top and pants to wear to my niece's wedding on Sunday week. It's beautiful silk, bought in Beijing quite a few years ago at that fabulous multi-story silk emporium. I have just sewed up the side seams and wanted to try it on Diana, the dressmaker's dummy. I realised that my measurements may have changed. Well, I had to thin her down, 1 inch at the bust, waist and hips. Am I smiling? Yes I am.
That's fantastic! Congrats!
woo hoo to you. Do we get photos when its done (with you in it not Diana :grin: )?
I'll put one on Facebook after the wedding. But I don't know how to put photos on here.
Woohoo Sallyo! Well done! X and oh how i wish i could dressmake..you sound so clever! My fingers turn into a clumsy bunch of bananas and my brain goes to mush if i so much as attempt a hem!
\o/ Woot! Best feeling ever! Love those dressmaker dummies!
Woohoo! Go Sally! Hope the wedding is fab :-)
Permission to feel very pleased with yourself ! Well done.
Fantastic! I'll be seeing you before the wedding I think so no photos ready for viewing then. And I am not on Facebook. But I am sure someone can help with posting a photo here - I think you select the 'upload attachment' option below the reply box and go from there, assuming the photo is accessible from whatever device you are on. :)
@CandiceMarie, you make me laugh! I was the one who couldn't sew. My mum sewed and my older sister sewed but I was the one who's cross stitch was held up in Grade 4 as an example of BAD work! Then, as a young adult I had friend, Monica, who sewed and I got interested again, but found it too hard. Then, years later, I was a single mum with twins, working in a high school and a sewing machine came up for sale from a school which was closing down. I bought my Huskvana for about $20. I have learned 2 things about sewing.
1. If you can read you can sew, because you don't have to be like my clever friend, Monica; you don't have to make up your own patterns from your favourite clothes; you can actually buy patterns and they come with instructions.
2. You need a friend or contact who is better at sewing than you and who you can consult when you can't understand the language of the pattern. I had the Home Economics teachers, but now I have another sewing friend, Julie, and also my older sister, who still sews. People like being asked to help.
After I discovered these 2 things, I went for it. One year I made 8 school uniform shirts for my boys. They are scared for life from having to wear home made school uniforms. But I learned how to make shirts and I haven't looked back. I would buy really hard patterns just to learn. Now I am more likely to chose the Very Easy patterns, because I have proved I can make the hard ones.

If you want to sew, give it a go!
Well done Sally. Perfect loss of inch, tuck inch, tuck inch - slow and steady as we go. :cool: Love the way you do 52. You kept me on track and I thank you for that :heart:
I' m sure you're right @sallyo If i ever get the chance to get an old sewing machine, i' ll give it a go,see if i can enlist any helpers to guide me along! Would love to buy material, i love looking at all the fabrics in shops,make something to wear.x
I too had my work held up..i remember a nightdress i was making in school getting held up as an example of poor work :lol: ..don't think i ever got to finish the skirt..my embroidery always had little bloody pinprick marks on it! :razz:
12 posts Page 1 of 1