The FastDay Forum

Delighted or Disappointed?

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Disappointed with a gain.
15 Mar 2013, 11:02
Hi Guys,I've doing this since 1st March and its being going well, in fact almost too good to be true as on non fast days, especially over the weekend,have been more like mega feasts days than normal eating days with lots of social committments. So lets just say I have been eating well, my body can't believe its luck and my brain has gone into overload with 'can I eat this?', 'yes you can', 'but can I really', 'ok I will', 'but should I have' aaahhhh!!!! anyway I'm sure the brain part and trusting myself will come in time.

So to my results...
Week 1 3lb
week 2 1lb
Week 3 1lb ON!!!

Should I be worried by my gain? or should I change what I am doing?

I do 2 days Mon & Thurs, I have a good varied diet, I mostly avoid processed food, I have started avoiding bread as once I start I can't stop (oh how I love bread)I enjoy 3/4 days working out...so what gives? oh I do like a glass (or alot more) of wine at weekends only.

Just please someone tell me I will keep losing, beacuse I'm actually quite enjoying this WOL, just have trust issues :confused:
Re: Disappointed with a gain.
15 Mar 2013, 11:09
I think you need to give it at least 4 weks, preferably 6, to see how its working for you. And try to look at the total losses, rather than on a week by week basis, where they WILL rise and fall.
15 Mar 2013, 11:10
Hi Sapphire & welcome!

Don't worry about the apparent gain, it's quite common in the first few weeks to have a small regain or maintain as the body adjusts. Remember a lot of the initial weight loss is water weight, so your body will regain a little of this to get the balance right. Overall you've lost 3lbs in 3 weeks, which is absolutely on track :)

Also, see this:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1006
15 Mar 2013, 11:11
I gained 2 whole entire pounds this week, but I KNOW my clothes fit better. I really dont think the scales are my friend today!!!
Have you been monitoring your measurements? Dont lose faith I have noticed such a difference in my body shape if not on the scales!
15 Mar 2013, 11:14
Yes your right, I have noticed a change in my body, in fact before I got on the scales this morning I was convinced I had lost 2lbs. So I suppose thats why I'm still quite positive. Thanks everyone.
15 Mar 2013, 12:28
If you don't already have a set of scales which also measure body fat and water, you might find that helpful too - sometimes you'll find you're holding a bit more water than usual which might explain a gain or maintain, but you'll see your fat % drop :)

I have some Salter ones from Argos which were about £20, however I believe the fancy Omron ones are still on sale at half price on Amazon, they're the kind MM used on Horizon:

Omron BF511 Blue Family Body Composition Monitor

Omron BF508 Body Composition and Body Fat Monitor Bathroom Scale

Omron BF511 Turquoise Family Body Composition Monitor
15 Mar 2013, 12:35
I too weighed myself this morning as my clothes feel better and my hubby said i deff look a bit slimmer - but i had only lost a fraction of a pound - I have been dooing IF for 6 weeks now and have lost 6-7 pounds in total (no loss really for the last 3 weeks) - my scales are rubbish and unfortunately i haven't measured myself - i am feeling good about myself though, mainly as i am doing something to stop the spiralling out of control middle age spread. I did have a really bad headache yesterday on my fast day and a bubly tummy - I don't have this all of the time plus i don't think you can do this and expect to feel tip top all of the time. Like i have read other people say - you have to persevere - thank goodness for this forum for support - it's fab!! :neutral:
15 Mar 2013, 12:38
Hi, just to jump on this post -

I have some of the tanita BI scales (top of the range) and over the 6 weeks I've been doing this WOL, I've lost 6lbs.. but each time I've got on the scales, my body fat% has actually increased which I find really odd and a bit sad??? :(

Anyone else seen their BF% increase?? any explanation as to why?

Thanks guys x x JB x
15 Mar 2013, 17:48
Hi Sapphire119, your BMI is similar to mine and your eating habits seem similar too ie. healthy diet, not much junk or bread, probably too much wine at the weekend :). I started mid Jan and have lost around 6.5lbs so it's not exactly flying off. I think a lot depends on your dieting history and pre diet eating habits. I have been on and off diets for at least the past 25 years of my life striving to get to the 'normal' weight range (how sad) yet have never been a big junk food/ sweet addict. Going on the 5:2 plan was not a big 'step change' for me - hence my body doesn't think so either. I am sticking with it though because I believe I will lose more (no matter how long it takes) and I find it sustainable. Keep going! Julie
15 Mar 2013, 18:03
juliebulie10 wrote: Hi, just to jump on this post -

I have some of the tanita BI scales (top of the range) and over the 6 weeks I've been doing this WOL, I've lost 6lbs.. but each time I've got on the scales, my body fat% has actually increased which I find really odd and a bit sad??? :(

Anyone else seen their BF% increase?? any explanation as to why?

Thanks guys x x JB x

That's very strange! Do they also measure your water content? Is it possible you're drinking more water now and therefore retaining less - making the fat % go up by comparison? I find when my water % is down my fat % is up. These days my water is usually around 49-50%, but on some days I'm down around 48% and the fat is up a little.
15 Mar 2013, 18:19
Hi all

My first post after being on 5:2 WOL since January. nI've had great results so far and know that now and again there is a small gain. I've lost a stone and find it easy as long as I keep busy (not easy for a man!) But I am 61 yrs old this month and am determined to get a BMI of 25. I've just stumbled across this blog and it is a GOLDMINE of information.

Good Luck to all tummy rumblers..xx
20 Mar 2013, 07:27
Welcome Tinhead! Fab results so far and thanks too for sharing you also saw little gains occasionally.

Thanks moogie, I will play close attention to the water reading in the morning, you know, I think it had actually gone down and makes sense that as the scales are trying to achieve '100%' that it puts the fat% up.

I'll let you know!

jb x
12 posts Page 1 of 1