The FastDay Forum

Delighted or Disappointed?

16 posts Page 1 of 2
Two years down, 20? 30? to go!
10 Mar 2015, 17:34
Yes, I've joined the Two Year Club (shouldn't we have a two year club?). I started fasting just about two years ago, and have never looked back. By which I mean that I have missed very few fasts, haven't "failed" any (a bit over and we just call it a half-fast!), and find that this WOE suits me well. I really do plan on carrying on for the next 20 or 30 years, and don't see why it wouldn't happen.

I have been fasting once a week since reaching goal, but ironically at my weigh in this morning was 1/2 pound above my acceptable range - the first time in 16 months I weighed above this range. So for a couple of weeks I'll move to the 5:2 approach.

And while I'm on the subject, there are long sandwiches that are called "subs", short for submarines, if you don't have them in your part of the world. In my town there's a shop called Half Fast Subs. (say it quickly if you don't get the joke) :lol:

Carry on, fellow fasters!
Well done on those two years. :like: :like: How dare that half pound rear it's ugly head. Give it a good kick in the ...
Oh well done @wendyjane - that is marvellous!

I so wish I had stuck at it last year! Half a pound to deal with is soooooo doable, whereas I am staring at needing to lose the stupid 2 stone I put back on by letting myself off the fasting hook. Now that I am back to fasting (Wk 2 of returning) I honestly wonder why I ever went away. What's 2 days anyway? It's not much to ask of myself!

Do you have any advice or insight into how/why you have been able to adopt fasting & not waiver? That would be really helpful....
Congratulations @Wendyjane, great achievement and long may it continue. :like:
WHAT an achievement wendyjane! Congratulations xx! :like:
You've done so well - congratulations on losing the weight and keeping it off :-)
From my whiteboard calculations, 1/2 pound extra equates to being one second slower per mile. So, if it doesn't shift in the usual way, there's always a 1/2 marathon you can sign up for, where you'll drop around 1,800 calories even if you decide to walk!

:grin: :grin:
Great post - congratulations! I will be joining you in the two year club in a couple of months :grin: Will forever be thankful for finding out about this way of eating. Here's to the next 2 years!
Congrats on your two years, @wendyjane!
Congratulations on the 2 years and your attitude :)
Love your approach to it wendyjane! And proof that very short people can succeed! :grin:
Well done @wendyjane - you are an inspiration and a great person to have around!

Step away from those subs!!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
Hazelnut20 wrote: Do you have any advice or insight into how/why you have been able to adopt fasting & not waiver? That would be really helpful....

I've been thinking over your question, @Hazelnut20, for the last couple of days. Others here have asked the same thing, and I haven't answered. When I read the New York Times article on Dr. MM on about March 8, 2013, I had what I've called an epiphany. I knew with assurance that this would work for me. I was sick of my slow, steady weight gain, and the fact that I weighed about the same as I had when 9 months pregnant.
But why did it work? Unfortunately, the only answer I can come up with is one that I really hope does not help you, because I hope you aren't in the same place in life as I am. There are too many things in my life that are not good, and not under my control. I'm a person who likes to help, who likes to fix things that aren't right. When your loved ones have unresolvable medical issues, some quite serious, and when your children are dealing with the huge challenges of making their way in the Real World as young independent adults, well, these are situations I can do nothing about (aside from the perennial shoulder to cry on, that is). What can I control? Oh, yes, my diet. So that becomes a lot more doable just because it is something I can do. [A side note: not all of us on the forum have the advantage of choosing what we eat. Some have medical, job-related, or other reasons why they are constrained in dieting. Those of us without those constraints should appreciate our situation!].

As I write this I'm struck by the parallel with people with eating disorders. From the first thing that popped up when I googled "Control eating disorder": "Controlling the body has become a precarious substitute for real control in women’s lives." All I can say to that is there is nothing wrong with controlling the body if one's aim is a strong, well-nourished body with a BMI of 22. And that's my aim.

I am sorry that my "delighted" thread has degenerated into a "despondent" one (nice bit of alliteration there for you English enthusiasts). On the positive side, I have a loving husband and three wonderful children who are making their way in spite of the bumps. We live in a nice home in a beautiful part of the world. Things could be much worse.

Finally, I knew @ADFnFuel would have a constructive, helpful solution to my weight gain. What a guy! Thanks, ADF, I think I'll just add a few fast days. Not quite ready for the 1/2 marathon.
Congratulations @wendyjane on 2 successful fasting years, and thanks for sharing your thoughts as to why this WOE has worked for you. Best wishes and good luck for finding a way of dealing with the challenges that are around you - and for continuing with this way of eating. :clover:
20 or 30... no way... at least 50 and im in my 40s.!

i can handle hosting 50 more Christmas challenges here.
16 posts Page 1 of 2