The FastDay Forum

Fasting today?

Every day there will be a new topic in this forum for today's fasters to chat & support each other.
Please don't make extra threads in here besides the daily fasting threads, if you've got a question please post it in the relevant forum or ask in today's 'Fasting Today' thread, thank you.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
After getting back from holiday late last night, and having a carby late supper - following several days of high processed carb intake - I am hoping to fast, or at least have a light day, today.

But it is a struggle!! It is not much more than 12 hours since I last ate, including sleeping time, and almost all I can think about is my hunger... :(

I am trying to keep busy - I have unpacked the car and caravan, and put a lot of stuff away. I am doing a load of washing (of course, says lovemyparrot...) but it will be hung inside as it is 6C and raining outside. Not a nice change after the lovely fine and warm weather we had in Central Australia.

And it is only 12.30pm. I have had yet another cup of black coffee and now have to find other things to do to keep me occupied. I did walk the dogs this morning, but I have had to halve the length of their walk and make it more gentle (i.e. no big hills) because one of them has arthritis and the walk was causing her pain and making her limp, poor girl. So I will have to find some replacement exercise for me. (And I have to get back to my regular exercise as well, didn't do much while away, we spent a LOT of time in the car - did 2500km in 3 days on the return trip.)

Anyway... Another reason for the fast is to break the (processed) carb habit and help me get back into my usual diet. (I have managed to after every other holiday, so expect this will be the same.)

Best wishes to everyone fasting today! :clover: :smile:
best of luck on sticking to plan today!! A couple more hours and I suspect you'll hit that sweet spot where you've done so well there doesn't seem much point in ruining your plans for the day ;-)

Dang, that is a long car ride! And I'm sorry about your arthritic dog. It's hard watching our pets age. Their lives are so very short but they do bring us so much joy.

Perhaps a cup or two of a nice, salty broth will help your cold afternoon fly by. Good luck!
Thanks Tracie, I am taking your advice and having half a stock cube dissolved in hot water - no proper broth available here!!

It's a long afternoon. 3 hours since I last wrote and I have done some exercise to fill in time - 3/4 hour on the treadmill while catching up with Father Brown (not the best of crime shows, so good to watch while doing something else!) and then 20 mins of Tabata, which I find a fairly easy way of doing HIIT which also incorporates a variety of strength building exercises, as recommended by one of our relative newbies who we haven't heard from for a while (can't quite remember who...). And then a heap of washing up - all the things my son had been putting in the dishwasher while we were away that really don't do well in the dishwasher! (I think he only needs to put the dishwasher on about once a week when we are away, so a bit had accumulated.)

I am very fortunate being retired, which means weekends aren't so different to weekdays, so fasting on a Sunday doesn't worry me. Best to fast on days when I can keep busy, whatever day of the week that is. I do try to fast on the first day back after a holiday, but I must admit I am finding it very hard today. Dinner will be quick to get ready at least - it will be what we had planned to have last night, if we had had a stopover on our way home, and it is already prepared, just needs reheating.

I do feel better for that salty drink, let's hope the feeling lasts a while. Now to find a few other things to keep me busy for another 3 hours...

Thanks again for your support! :smile:

PS yes, it is hard watching our pets age but as you say they do bring so much joy. They went absolutely crazy when we got home last night. They are only 6, so a bit young for arthritis (Lizzie, the Blenheim one in my avatar, is the sufferer; but Darcy also not the healthiest, he has a heart murmur. The problem with pure breeds....)
A very quiet Sunday on the forum - though there is still a bit of Sunday to go for those of you in the US.

I managed a light day in the end. The salty drink and some salad did get me through til dinner time, but after dinner I did have more to eat, though at least it was nutritious food (no chocolate) so I am happy enough with that.

Very glad not to be fasting today! Have to get the grocery shopping done this morning tho, as there is very little in the house after being away - son who stayed at home does not eat the same food as us....
Hi @Sassy1 - I'm sure your vet has given you something for the dog with arthritis, but I wondered if you tried glucosamine chondroitin. When my dog was still alive, she had gotten bad arthritis, so bad that I thought I might have to put her down because of it. But once she started taking these tablets, it was like a miracle and she improved greatly. I just wanted to suggest it, if you hadn't heard of it. I was able to just buy it OTC at my local drug store. It does take a little while to get into their system though and take effect.
Thanks @cblasz, will look into the medication you mention. Lizzie was given a short course of anti-inflammatories, and isn't in apparent pain now. We will of course be monitoring her!
Hi @Sassy1, glucosamine chondroitin is a big thing here for dogs and humans alike with bad joints/knees etc. Easy to find so, hopefully, it might help with your doggy ailments !!!!
7 posts Page 1 of 1