The FastDay Forum

Fasting today?

Every day there will be a new topic in this forum for today's fasters to chat & support each other.
Please don't make extra threads in here besides the daily fasting threads, if you've got a question please post it in the relevant forum or ask in today's 'Fasting Today' thread, thank you.

15 posts Page 1 of 1
Alcohol!!
20 May 2013, 18:00
Am a newbie and find that fasting is more bearable than not being able to drink a glass or two of wine as a reward!! Any others suffering the same to help lessen my pain as I am fasting today?
Re: Alcohol!!
20 May 2013, 18:30
I felt the same for the first few weeks of fasts, but now I'm happy to report that I not only don't miss my wine on fast nights but my alcohol consumption has steadily decreased on my feast days too. The gains outweigh the pain, so try to stick with it - you won't be sorry!
20 May 2013, 19:47
Really dhana,
I find myself going 'oh good I can have a g & t today I'm not fasting' whereas before I did not alcohol Monday - Thursday!
20 May 2013, 23:12
I used to do two alcohol free days a week before I started this fast. I always used to joke that my alcohol consumption hadn't actually decreased, it has just become more concentrated! Starting on the fast I transferred those days to my fasting days so it wasn't too much of an issue, although any change to routine is an issue of sorts. Two days a week without alcohol is highly recommended by doctors so stick with it! Like the 5:2 fast it does get easier with time.
20 May 2013, 23:54
Well obviously I love a drink!! Fasting makes me have at least 2 free days a week, I try to do 3-4. I dont think a drink a day is bad, my problem is more than one drink a day so having to not drink is a good thing.
21 May 2013, 01:35
I miss my glass or three of wine on fast days but actually was thinking I need to break for a few days a week before I started 5:2. 5:2 gives me a good reason so it has made it easier.
21 May 2013, 06:26
I never thought I would not miss a glass of wine or two in evening but I honestly don't. My fast was yesterday and this morning I was up at 6.30am and took dog for long walk. SO much energy. I feel great. Next fast Friday weigh in sat. Fingers crossed.
21 May 2013, 06:36
I've just changed my drinking habits, none on fast days, on other weekdays occasionally an odd glass but mostly none.
Friday Saturday, whatever I fancy Sunday just an odd one or two, which has cutback my overall consumption but not cut it out altogether.
21 May 2013, 09:45
I like a drink too but want to cut down. Fortunately my hubby has a fitness test in 2 weeks so is off the wine - that'll give me a chance to cut back too, I'm hoping. But who knows, sometimes the demands of motherhood drives me to drink!!
21 May 2013, 10:31
Thank you all. Its so good to know others out there offering great advice and comfort. Glad to know that this regime encourages a new frame of mind and the successes outweigh (no pun intended!) the slight discomfort it brings. I have found going to bed really early in a very warm bedroom with a kettle, tea bags and a TV a great help!!
22 May 2013, 14:46
Deffo no alcohol on fast days! But finding 'life' generally so stressful that I really want a drink on the weekdays in between the fast days e.g Tuesdays and Thursdays, whereas before fasting it was no drinking in the week!! Does this mean that I was eating for the stress on my non-alcohol days? God knows!
23 May 2013, 10:07
As for husband's fitness test - he changed his mind and guzzled 2 glasses of wine last night. I didnt fancy any so feeling quite pleased with myself. :grin:
23 May 2013, 10:32
Not only do I not have a drink on fast days but I find if I have a drink on the evening before fast days it makes the next day more difficult so I am now down to only having a drink Thursday Friday and Saturday. Ian sure it is not doing me an ounce of harm. Mind you I do enjoy the Rioja and the whiskey when I get it. :razz:
23 May 2013, 11:20
We're only just learning that a calorie is not just a calorie. Calories in the form of alcohol or fructose (50% of sugar) cannot be as readily metabolised as the likes of glucose. This means that a larger percentage of the alcohol or fructose calorie will end up as fat no matter what we do (as it can't be metobolised). Some of this will be in the liver, and some as regular fat deposits around the body. In terms of weight loss, alcohol and fructose are probably the worst offending calories unfortunately.
23 May 2013, 11:42
I was getting worried with our consumption. I was thinking we should abstain. But then we just started drinking more. I am really pleased this week as I have told hubby- Fri night, sat and Sun lunch we can drink. He is happy to do that, it cuts our intake, but we dont have the pressure of total abstinence. We are red wine drinkers, so I am also convinced that a little is good!!! Oh and it is strange, before I missed drink on our off days, but this week I guess I must be more focussed on my fasting as I am not missing it at all.
15 posts Page 1 of 1