The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Here I was thinking you guys 'made' up the 'Glamping' word, I here it tonight on the biggest loser showing in Australia.

Glamour camping, I do have to get out from under my rock. Again I thought this was some english word.

Me, green behind the ears. :smile:
You're not alone zamale, I thought the same thing as you.
Xxx
Hey @zamaleAnd @Julianna You both need to get learning British with @wendyjane :shock:
As if we'd make such things up now.
:clover: :clover:
Funnily enough I thought it was Australian. :confused: :razz:
Well, I certainly assumed it was a fast forum word, till just now when @Sue.Q directed me here! I figured there was a place called "Glastonbury", hence the play on words. Is that not true??

I need to resurrect the "fun learning British" thread - there's all kinds of things we could be chatting about there :wink:

As far as the title of this thread - that's new to me too, but very understandable from context. Unlike glamping...
Yeh there is certainly a Glastonbury @wendyjane
I hope to visit there some day..its on my list! X
CandiceMarie wrote: Yeh there is certainly a Glastonbury @wendyjane
I hope to visit there some day..its on my list! X

well that makes "Fastonbury Glamping Grounds" an even cleverer play on words - good job, @Moogie (at least I think it was Moogie who made up the name).
@wendyjane
Glastonbury is the site of a very famous and now enormous music festival that takes place every summer on a farm. It is famous for the attendees camping in cheap tents and the mud (assuming we have a typical British summer characterised by wet weather!). There are nearby campsites that offer glamping for those attendees who can't cope with the more basic camping!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_Festival
Isn't Glastonbury Abbey also the legendary tomb of Arthur and Guinevere?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_Festival

http://www.glastonburyabbey.com/

Here are the links @Marybeth. Also Glastonbury Tor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_Tor

Very close to where the flooding has been over the past couple of months.
Thank you SD. I can never seem to get enough historical and contemporary reading set in the UK.

--I've been meaning to ask about the floods--what is the present status of the recovery?
Well I think they've gone down, but there is a lot of clearing up to do. Whole villages and farms devastated. But I think there will be recovery money forthcoming - the government has now committed to it, after sitting on its hands for quite a while. But these things take a long time to recover from - there was a flood which wrecked our library and county library hq (as well as large parts of the town) back in 2008. Although this was a flash flood, from a river (only a day) it took months to recover from. The floods on the Levels have lasted so much longer, and cover a much wider area. Ther have also been floods in the Thames Valley west of London, and Kent.
12 posts Page 1 of 1