Where have you been?
What have you seen?
A threatening bull or an Easter bunny?
Something magic or something funny?
Wall-to-wall sunshine? Torrential rain?
Ten out of ten, or never again!
Re: The rambling/hiking tent
23 Apr 2014, 14:41
Oh barb did you write that! Its really god and its made me want to take a hike in the woods! X
23 Apr 2014, 16:12
Love it!
Can you add for me, please;

Take trusty walking poles
and socks with comfy soles
23 Apr 2014, 16:20
Definitely at least one pole, if only to check how deep the grimpen mire is before stepping into it!
24 Apr 2014, 14:25
Astonishing that we could have set up the camp ground and forgotten to put up a tent for rambling/hiking!!! Well done @barbarita for getting us sorted!

This reminds me that I need a new kagoule as my old one is now enormous on me...I know I need room for a thick fisherman's jumper under it but I could fit the fisherman in there with me now!
24 Apr 2014, 14:26
Well done@carorees and what a good way to snare a new man! :lol: x
26 Apr 2014, 17:01
Well it looks as if I have got the place to myself for the moment so I can spread out my muddy shoes and gaiters and <shudder> socks to air. Hehe :grin: .

I have done the first 10 walks in the "Walks in the Penrith area" book which focus on Ullswater and the Eamont Valley, and very good and cunningly devised they are, starting with a walk from the very centre of Penrith which heads out towards Ullswater and gives tantalising glimpses of the fells as you walk along the banks of the Eamont to Eamont bridge. Then in the second walk you reach Pooley Bridge and see the bottom of the lake before swinging back round "inland" and enjoying woodlands and pastures. Subsequent walks make loops which take you further along the lake, some on one side, some on the other.

The views are out of this world, but underfoot can be hard going because of nature - boginess, and the foot of man - erosion to the point of bare rock, stones and tree roots, such that you must be aware of your footing at all times and cannot get into 5th gear in the way that makes for such exhilarating yomps along the tracks of the Yorkshire Dales. Factor in the stile climbing, the gate opening and closing (with lifting,where the gate is faulty) and the map reading, and rambling can be more like NEAT than regular exercise. HIT occasionally when walking 100 paces up a steep hill and then stopping to gasp for 10 breaths :lol:

So off to the Lowther Valley where eroded paths may be exchanged for bulls, gangs of bullocks, aggressive cows and horses.

And please, please can I have a gorgeous day next week to do my 13.2 miles from Garsdale station to Kirkby Stephen.
26 Apr 2014, 17:30
@izzy, I have done the bit between Allonby and Maryport; now you can yomp along that!

Ennerdale seems far away to me, long car journey. I was last there 2-3 years ago when I was doing the Western half of the Coast to Coast and it looked very different with so much of the coniferous plantation having gone, I remember the gloomy darkness from my Wainwright bagging days.

Perhaps we could have a mini-meet in Keswick or Lorton sometime and go for a walk? :cool:
26 Apr 2014, 19:32
izzy wrote: @Barbarita you write so well. I'm near the west coast, so closer to places like Ennerdale, Loweswater, etc. Cogra Moss is stunning - panoramic views across to Scotland and the Isle of Man, with the Lakeland fells behind. It does wonders for the soul. I miss being able to do the long walks.

Here's wishing you great weather. Today was lovely for a stroll along the coast :wink: I am very definitely drawn to the sea. Best of both worlds here.

:heart: :heart: @izzy I'm coming to stay with you later in the summer deffo :heart: :heart: Love Ennerdale/Loweswater
area and Buttermere + Honister/Borrowdale :heart:
Maybe a week with you too @barbarita I'll get packing
27 Apr 2014, 20:44
Hi @izzy, I have been looking through my Wainwright books for Blake Fell, must admit I thought at first it was an Outlying Fell, because I have hardly done any of those what with the majority being well south and west of me, but no it is a full-blown Western Fell. This means I must have done it, but I have no recollection of when and how I got up there. Will have to scan the remotest recesses of the memory bank. Doing it again would help. Where do you park?
27 Apr 2014, 21:04
I didn't see this tent until it was mentioned in the walking thread. Hi! I have my hiking boots ready to go.
27 Apr 2014, 21:11
@izzy The Old Friars sweet shop is the source of chocolate coated coffee beans and Lindt 99 % chocolate, the most powerful chocolate in the world. @sue.q you must come over and try some.
27 Apr 2014, 21:28
@barbarita you've both made me feel a need to return
I :heart: that sweet shop
I :heart: chocolate
I :heart: coffee
I :heart: the beautiful lake district :heart:
Haven't been for quite a few years but I'm so wanting to return especially now I've seen @izzywalks and have bookmarked that link :heart: yearning to return
27 Apr 2014, 21:44
Hi all

Popped on here to find my fave 5:2 tent so far! I am a confirmed hill geek, love the Lakes and next week the hubs & I are off to bonnie Scotland for a week of walking & camping in the Kinlochleven/Glencoe area. Cannae wait! Although not looking forward so much to the camping, but that's what you need to do when you haven't booked anywhere & it's bank holiday...
27 Apr 2014, 22:25
@Sue.Q at least now you know where to stock up on the good chocolates :wink: 99% chocolate would probably have you quizzing round Ennerdale water in about twenty minutes!! :grin: :wink: That's powerful stuff! :shock: Promise I'll put the kettle on if you bring the marzipan :lol:[/quote]

:heart: :heart: Dark chocolate and marzipan :heart: :heart: :heart:
How come I can now smell coffee + chocolate :shock:
Done Ennerdale 3 times I think but it took me quite a few hours but I did it and that's what counts to me at least I usually make a day of most walks over 6miles/hills,
oh yes I'm on the way with the marzipan I'll have a large black coffee shall I provide brandy to warm us up? :clover: :clover: :clover:
81 posts Page 1 of 6