The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

24 posts Page 2 of 2
wildmissus wrote: Love them. I prefer them firm but not hard and I cut out the leaf stock and then cut it into slices eating the flesh and skin. They are difficult to describe but they have a woody flavour and texture and I would say if you prefer herbal tea to fruit tea you will like these. I have no problem getting them up here. Sainsbury's and Co-op readily stock them in autumn/winter. Just bought a couple of the giant ones from Sainsbury's.

Right. I need a trip to Sainsburys :like: :like: :like:
There are 2 different fruit. The ones you eat soft and the ones you eat crisp which are also called 'Sharon fruit'. The ones you eat soft give you that funny feeling in your mouth if you eat them when they are not soft. We grow them, the crisp ones. They grow on a big tree which loses its leaves in beautiful autumn colour and then leaves the fruit hanging on the tree. Gorgeous. I planted a tree because I fell in love with them in Japan. They are everywhere and are eaten like apples are here. And yes, the Japanese word is kaki. From which perhaps comes the Spanish word caquis?
The soft ones are wonderful in cookies with lots of spice :)
I had to look what it was, here they are called kakis. My mum love them. To try to like them I made a mousse with them. You can also make a marmelade but I wouldn't eat them raw
Many thanks for your comments and input everyone! When they've ripened a bit think I'll just try one sliced raw with a dollop of Greek yogurt!
I love them eaten raw too but they taste awful when they are unripe.
callyanna wrote: When they've ripened a bit think I'll just try one sliced raw with a dollop of Greek yogurt!

Sounds delicious. Pretty much everything can be improved by adding a dollop of greek yogurt, in my opinion.
I bought some once when they seemed to be a bargain price. I remember being horrified when I logged them on MyFitnessPal, as they are quite high in calories/ carbs/sugar.
24 posts Page 2 of 2