The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

24 posts Page 1 of 2
Anyone ever tried persimmons?
21 Oct 2013, 20:55
:?: Wondered if I could pick the brains for anyone with recipes or best ways to use persimmons (also called Sharon fruit I believe).
Saw them in Aldi last week at 3 for 89p so at such a bargain price thought I'd buy some. Have tried googling but not come up with much so any ideas?
Oh callyanna. Best eaten raw. You will get me on a hobby horse. In France and Spain the giant version are called caquis. They are the size of a large apple and cost a few euros a piece and are my favourite fruit. I have no idea why UK supermarkets don't stock them. In the Spanish countryside, they rot on the trees, but anyone who charges 89p for 4 figs, (ridiculous) when you pay that much for a kilo in Spain I'm way beyond the madness. I saw caquis in Paris this week and it annoys me like hell that we can't buy them at home. We are so ripped off in Britain when it comes to fruit and veg. :frown: :frown:
Thanks Karen, do you eat the skin or peel them first? They're just sitting in the fruitbowl taunting me with accusatory looks and saying' So what are you going to do with us now, Cleverclogs?' I sliced one expecting to see seeds similar to a tomato but no seeds at all!
I love sharon fruit and eat the whole thing if it's ripe enough. Just take off the green leafy bit and enjoy!
callyanna wrote: Thanks Karen, do you eat the skin or peel them first? They're just sitting in the fruitbowl taunting me with accusatory looks and saying' So what are you going to do with us now, Cleverclogs?' I sliced one expecting to see seeds similar to a tomato but no seeds at all!

Eat them whole. If you get unlucky sometimes the skins are a bit fizzy, but it is because they are over ripe. Don't let that put you off. I sometimes chop them up small and eat them in yogurt and bananas.
They taste ok but I really don't like the texture.
Don't think these are ripe enough to be honest so will leave them in a brown paper bag for a couple of days then give them a go. Love trying out new fruit and veg and am trying to be a bit more adventurous! Thanks again x
We always buy them on special as it means they are perfect and ready to eat! We cut them in half and eat the flesh, they are beautiful!
I love them... but do not usually see them at such a good price!
I've only eaten them raw, and haven't noticed recipes for them. Enjoy!
They are incredibly popular in Japan and this is the season. The Japanese name is kaki. They have an almost square shape. I wouldn't say they're my favorite fruit, but I like them.
I tried them years ago and I am still grimacing. I think they got their name from the way u purse ur lips after biting into one :razz:
Some like it soft but I prefer them still hard so you have to figure that one out. Its so yummy then again I am a food monster who loves almost everything.......
Yum - I just ate one for breakfast!
rawkaren wrote: Oh callyanna. Best eaten raw. You will get me on a hobby horse. In France and Spain the giant version are called caquis. They are the size of a large apple and cost a few euros a piece and are my favourite fruit. I have no idea why UK supermarkets don't stock them. In the Spanish countryside, they rot on the trees, but anyone who charges 89p for 4 figs, (ridiculous) when you pay that much for a kilo in Spain I'm way beyond the madness. I saw caquis in Paris this week and it annoys me like hell that we can't buy them at home. We are so ripped off in Britain when it comes to fruit and veg. :frown: :frown:

Caquis - cacky, yuk! My parents love these, I've only ever tried them once and they reminded me of spit! :sick:
Love them. I prefer them firm but not hard and I cut out the leaf stock and then cut it into slices eating the flesh and skin. They are difficult to describe but they have a woody flavour and texture and I would say if you prefer herbal tea to fruit tea you will like these. I have no problem getting them up here. Sainsbury's and Co-op readily stock them in autumn/winter. Just bought a couple of the giant ones from Sainsbury's.
24 posts Page 1 of 2