The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

30 posts Page 2 of 2
Hate it with a passion, but can tolerate the seeds. I too use flat leaf parsley in preference
Love it. Oooohhh Andi, poor you, that's not nice
hmm.... I'm thinking about trying the seed now that I've read it's a different flavour....
Growing up I used to hate cilantro. My mom doesn't like it so we never ate it at home (I am Mexican and it is a common ingredient in salsa). I pretty much started liking cilantro when I moved to the US! But I don't use it very often. I think it is an herb that is easily overused, a nice touch of it gives a good flavor but too much of it ruins the dish.
Hi Cally ..i like carrot and coriander soup but not sure if ive had it in any other recipes x
:like: :like: :like: coriander always buy it and use every bit from roots, stalks and leaves and seeds. Also love parsley too

Sad to relate stink Beatles to coriander as I have stink beetles which like to attach my citrus and the smell to me is nothing like coriander. Do know lots of people who just can't stand coriander though so they would struggle with my cooking. Use coriander on all my Thai and Indian curries and my Mexican and Moroccan recipes. Can't get enough of it frankly :clover: :heart: :clover: :heart:
Yum yum yum. Eat it all the time and have a heap of it growing although it's all going to seed now. Yes Gillymary stink bugs smell nothing like coriander to me
I love it! It's growing in the garden, most likely to go to seed any day so need to use it in my cooking. I have cut down on cooking curries since starting 5:2 but still use it as last minute toppings. Thankfully we all love it.
gillymary wrote: :like: :like: :like: coriander always buy it and use every bit from roots, stalks and leaves and seeds. Also love parsley too

Sad to relate stink Beatles to coriander as I have stink beetles which like to attach my citrus and the smell to me is nothing like coriander. Do know lots of people who just can't stand coriander though so they would struggle with my cooking. Use coriander on all my Thai and Indian curries and my Mexican and Moroccan recipes. Can't get enough of it frankly :clover: :heart: :clover: :heart:

Yummy. Coriander root! Really hard to get here and great in soups and curry pastes...
I adore it in all forms! I absolutely cannot ever have too many of the leaves, whether in a hot dish or a salad, and I love the seeds too. Then again, I am a parsley freak too - get through heaps of it!

Interestingly, despite both being brought up from babies eating it, one of my ID twins loves it and the other really dislikes it. Same with nuts. It proves that our taste preferences are not all about exposure. The same goes for textures too; one loves custardy things but can't abide jelly or marshmallow, and the other is the opposite. Me, I like all of it :grin:
I love coriander, its delicate and reminds me of doing healthy things for the body. My brother in law died of motor neurone and tests revealed heavy metals in his body and was alerted that coriander leaches metals from the body. He drank a lot of coriander tea with honey and his metal levels went right down, and tests again revealed, ironically he was in really good health, despite having motor neurone, which is not curable. :cry:

I made a dip with bunches of coriander, brazil nuts, garlic, lemon juice and flaxseed oil, an acquired taste but one I like.
Add me to the 'love the seed, love the leaf' gang. It can be hard to find in Okinawa, which drives me mad. I tried growing it, but didn't have any luck. Basil and Italian parsley (which I also love) grow well. Lately I buy all the cilantro I can find and freeze it in ice cubes. Not as good as fresh, but better than dried leaf. I just put a bunch on a stir fry last night. Yum!

I think some people have a receptor for it that makes it taste soapy.

Edit to add: it's a variant receptor that is fairly common. Google 'cilantro taste receptor' and click on the nature article. Evidently there's an ihatecilantro.com website with anti-cilantro haikus.
Until I read some of your comments on this thread I'd never heard that some people's genes actually affect their taste receptors.
Found this link which sheds more light on the subject. :geek:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -find.html
Adore coriander in all its forms and is absolutely essential in all curries, Thai, Mexican food. I can take or leave parsley however, too strong a taste, apart from in Greek or Middle Eastern feed, e.g. tabbouleh.
Love love love it! I love the freshness of its taste and I love sniffing it too! I grow it also. My husband is convinced it is a " girlie" thing liking coriander. He also thinks it is a girlie thing liking the mixed leaf salads. Ha ha Apart from an iceberg and a cos he doesn't like any of the fancier leaves! Bad luck ... he gets them anyway! It is good to add some purple colour to the salad
30 posts Page 2 of 2