The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

30 posts Page 1 of 2
:?: It seems that every recipe I read or every cookery programme I watch on tv recently has the obligatory coriander in there somewhere either as an integral ingredient in a dish or as a garnish. I just can't understand it's popularity as I really dislike it's pungency and bitterness :frown: Give me good old parsley any day!
Maybe my palate is just too unrefined but what do others think, do you love it or loathe it? :?:
Love it. Isn't hatred of coriander supposed to be genetic or something? One of my relatives finds it disgusting - she says it tastes like soap. I always have to remember when I cook for her, and I can't sneak it in - she can detect it a mile away. :doh:
Oh, that's an interesting theory @rawkaren. It just seems there's no getting away from it at the moment, hope it's just one of those 'flavours of the month' that will eventually be replaced by something else!
Adore the seeds, hate the leaf. :)
Love both seeds and leaf ! Find it an essential in curries & chillies...

and 101 other recipes it crops up in :)
Love it but have friends that just cant stand it...
Love coriander leaf and seeds. Hate parsley, its miserable...
rawkaren wrote: Love it. Isn't hatred of coriander supposed to be genetic or something? One of my relatives finds it disgusting - she says it tastes like soap. I always have to remember when I cook for her, and I can't sneak it in - she can detect it a mile away. :doh:

My Dad doesn't go in for coriander, and neither do I :sick: I actually hate it and agree that it's got a soapiness in the flavour; stays in the nose :bugeyes: just the thought of it makes my nose go funny!! :fear:
Here in Pennsylvania,we were inundated with a bug called stink bugs which came into Allentown, PA about 5 years ago on plants from China.

Well, they give off a smell like cilantro. I happened to like cilantro until we got an infestation of these disgusting bugs.

Since than any recipe calling for cilantro is nixed or I use Italian flat leaf parsley in the recipe.

Just my 2 cents. :clover:
Coriander - can't stand it ! Tastes metallic to me , so I substitute parsley instead.
Interestingly , I use the powdered version to make carrot & coriander soup , and like it this way ( garnished with chopped parsley , of course , not the horrible metallic stuff !) :confused:
Goldilox wrote: Coriander - can't stand it ! Tastes metallic to me , so I substitute parsley instead.
Interestingly , I use the powdered version to make carrot & coriander soup , and like it this way ( garnished with chopped parsley , of course , not the horrible metallic stuff !) :confused:

Not tried the powdered version but might give it a try if it doesn't have the powerful aftertaste of the fresh so thanks for that :like:
I'm the same as Janeg; I love the seeds but not the leaves. :)
The powder is the seed not the leaf. I think the seed tastes very different, almost orangey. Use it a lot in curries. :like:
I love it. I buy a bunch from the market every week. I add a bit to my salads - yum!
I've always said it tastes like battery acid (not that I would know what that tastes like!). Doesn't taste bitter or soapy it just kind of burns but not like chilli, there is just something about it that screams THIS PLANT IS INEDIBLE SPIT IT OUT. And the leaf itself is like sandpaper on the tongue. I really don't see what others like about it.

There are other foods I've disliked greatly in the past that I've come to tolerate to a point like peppers or cucumber. But I don't ever see that happening with leaf corriander.
30 posts Page 1 of 2