The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

23 posts Page 1 of 2
5:2 got me back into the kitchen again and I'm now enjoying cooking and of course eating! Now I know how to post pictures, here are a few fast day treats for you. I have added the links to the recipes on the web where they can be found, but some are repeated here as I couldn't find them on line. I have calorie/carb/fat/protein calculated it all for you.

Hairy Dieters Low Fat and Sugar Free TEA LOAF. Naughty Hairy Dieters say this is 157 cal per portion but MFP makes it 175 cal which is still good C59g/F1g/P4g. Also note that most dried fruit mix in supermarkets contains glucose, so not entirely sugar free. Makes 20 squares and keeps in the fridge for a week. Not tried freezing it.

1 Teabag soaked in 400ml Water,
1 Lemon juice and zest
250g Ready to Eat Prunes quartered
500g dried mixed fruit
3 tspn mixed spice/pumpkin pie spice
1 banana
4 eggs
300g self raising flour
4 tbspn skimmed milk
0.5 tspn baking powder

Cook fruit, lemon, zest and spice in the water which has had the teabag soaked in it for 30 mins. Cook over a low heat until the water has been mostly absorbed. Cool for 40 mins.

Blend eggs, milk and banana into a puree. Add the flour and baking powder and mix into a batter. Add to cooled fruit mix and stir until thoroughly combined. Pour into a greased and lined 25cm sq cake tin and bake at 170c/350f for 30 mins until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool before turning out.

Low carb BANANA BREAD. Adapted from Danielle Walker to exclude honey. 125c per slice C18g/F7g/P4g. Makes 12 slices. Even though UK cup sizes are a couple of tspns more than US, this comes out fairly 'wet', so experiment with more flours or longer baking until you get the desired consistency. Freezes well
2 tbspn coconut oil
4 eggs
1 tspn vanilla extract
0.5 tspn cider vinegar
0.5 cup coconut flour
0.25 cup almond flour/ground almonds
1 tspn baking soda (bicarb of soda)
0.5 tspn sea salt
0.5 cup coconut milk
3 bananas

Blend bananas and coconut milk. Set aside
Beat rest of wet ingredients (oil, eggs, vanilla, vinegar), until mixed. Add dry ingredients (flours soda, salt). Beat on high until combined.
Add banana batter to the cake mix, beat until thoroughly combined.

Pour into greased and lined loaf tin. Bake for 40 to 45 mins until toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool before turning out.

Low carb ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
I posted this a few weeks back but without the photo, so here they are now. 133c per muffin without the honey C5g/F10g/P5g. Makes 12. Freezes well
http://www.againstallgrain.com/2012/04/ ... -giveaway/

RAW PUMPKIN PIE MOUSSE.
Finally from my raw vegan days and for all those who are craving healthy pumpkin pie. At 222 cals per portion it is more of a feast day treat (C70g/F3g/P2g). Serves 2
1 avocado
1 cup raw sweet potato
3 dates
0.5 tspn all spice/pumpkin pie spice
up to 0.5 cup carrot juice
Chuck in a blender (you need one with a bit of oomph) and blend until mousse. If you want to turn it into a soup, add more carrot juice.
OMG they look fabulous - wish I'd not looked on a fast day though - I think your thread needs a health/fast-day warning rawkaren :bugeyes: Particularly like the look of the tea loaf :smile:
They all look Yummy so many thanks for the recipes, rawkaren.Such a miserable day today think I'll have a go at the tea loaf with the slight variation of using a fruit tea bag. :grin:
I am printing these out! Those tea squares would be devoured on non-fast days too I think :-) Thanks for sharing.
I really shouldn't have popped in here... now I want cake!! They all look lush :smile:
The tea loaf looks similar to a Rosemary Conley recipe I used to make years ago. It froze well. I used to cut it up into portions, wrap them in cling film and freeze them. That way it was possible to have a piece withut nibbling at the rest of the cake. I don't think I would have cake on fasting days now though.
Not fasting today so the tea loaf tin is open :cool:
wow I am defo trying the zuccini loaf thing and banana thing. I'm no baker but always interested in lower carb version of food. Anyone else got some easy to bake low carb treats? If anyone had a crackers recipe I'd be mighty pleased
wow they all look yum yum yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :like:

I baked a cheesecake this morning, I know I cant touch it till tomorrow as fasting today grrrrrrrrrrr :cry: :razz:

thanks for the recipes Karen, gonna try a few!! :grin:

;-) xx :heart:
Got loads jmousey. Do you like flax seeds? If so I can post you something. Fat dog also has some good ones.
Mmmm these look great - I was wondering how that tea loaf was as I have the hairy dieters library books out at the mo. Might have to try some, probably not for fast day tho, although if I'd just had an omelette or something I could probably spare the cals.

Now, served warm with stewed apple and custard would make this a pretty awesome autumn pud! Just working our way through a (non-diet) ginger cake in that fashion!
Looking yummy, Thanks Karen but I think I will save for feast says but I will make them as they look so nice
rawkaren wrote: Got loads jmousey. Do you like flax seeds? If so I can post you something. Fat dog also has some good ones.

RAWKAREN your like my lifesaver - I do like flaxseeds actually and have some at home so if you have a recipe I'd LOVE IT thanks so much. I saw fat dogs one - it looked a little beyond me- things catch fire when I'm in the kitchen :dazed:
@jmousey - there is no way that "two minutes in the microwave" can be beyond you! Go on, I dare you (you'll be addicted forever after mind) :) It's as simple as 10g linseed, 10ml water, seasonings of choice (chilli & garlic flakes, cumin, coriander, caraway, parmesan, whatever) and a good grinding each of salt and pepper; mix quickly and thoroughly, tip onto parchment sheet and flatten to cracker thinness, let sit a minute or two then bung in the microwave for two minutes, YMMV. If you put lots of extra stuff in you'll need a little more water, but that's about the only complication.

@rawkaren - thanks ever so for these, sadly the only one that has a look-in for me is the muffin recipe, the others are waaaaay too carbiferous. My limit is 19g carb on a repair day and 50g on a feed day so just one lump of that lovely looking tea cake would exceed my whole feed day allowance!
I agree fat dog. OH has had a continuous carbfest since I made the tea loaf. The banana bread is a good compromise. I freeze mine in slices so portion control is strictly observed and great for treats.
23 posts Page 1 of 2