The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

25 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: I can have it tomorrow.
20 Jan 2014, 14:15
Luckily in the US our food culture kind of sucks. There's so few good bakeries or cafes that they're really really easy to avoid :-) There's one amazing patisserie that is as good as going to France, but you really have to intend to go there, and they don't put any goodies in the window. The pastries and cakes in the supermarkets are these disgusting blobs of whipped shortening and sugar that taste just awful. But most people have never had anything better, so they don't realize they're not very good.
20 Jan 2014, 14:24
Usually its home made satsuma muffins but thankfully my freezer is empty of them so theyre not calling me ... though I have some bananas that are very ripe, may be I should make some banana/fruit/bran muffins? on second thoughts, may be not :-)
20 Jan 2014, 14:30
BREAD!! Sandwiches, white toast dripping with butter (and a nice cup of tea to go with it). Why am I writing that on a fast day? One of the doctors had a bagel with ham and cheese on it at lunch time - I tell you I was hard pressed not to RIP it from her hands. :-)
20 Jan 2014, 14:33
Tracieknits wrote: Luckily in the US our food culture kind of sucks. There's so few good bakeries or cafes that they're really really easy to avoid :-) There's one amazing patisserie that is as good as going to France, but you really have to intend to go there, and they don't put any goodies in the window. The pastries and cakes in the supermarkets are these disgusting blobs of whipped shortening and sugar that taste just awful. But most people have never had anything better, so they don't realize they're not very good.

Unfortunately for me I live in downtown Boston and I have a couple of French style patisseries within a 15 minute walk (flour and tatte) and tatte have these decliosuly wonderful nut baskets that feel like they should be healthy - it's nuts after all!, but must be so loaded with calories that I don't even want to know how many they have. here is a link to what naughtiness I'm referring o :-) http://tattebakery.com/wp-content/uploa ... -event.jpg
20 Jan 2014, 15:28
Even in this outpost of civilization we have some wonderfully tempting establishments that are all too easily accessible from where we live--definitely need to say "I can have that tomorrow" :lol:

http://www.sarahspatisserie.com/11.html

This restaurant has a resident pastry chef--patrons walk back to the pastry cases to select from the changing offerings. oh wow

http://www.madelines-restaurant.com/ :bugeyes:
20 Jan 2014, 15:30
Oh yes, but it's not like Europe, where it's hard to avoid!! Here we have to search it out - which, when you're dieting, is a very good thing.
20 Jan 2014, 17:46
There is a bagel sitting in my kitchen with my name on it. At this present moment in time I intend stuffing it with cream cheese and smoked salmon tomorrow and devouring it!
20 Jan 2014, 18:17
Strangely I tend to crave food that is healthy but probably quite calorific, like almond butter, porridge, smoothies, 'big' salads - all the stuff I should eat all the time (on my non fast days). I think that it's because it feels like I'm re-setting' myself on a fast day so I want to keep that feeling going.

However, when it comes to the next day I tend to give in and have the cookies/toast - so basically I'm like the opposite of all you self-controlled folks who dream about it but don't eat it! Not always but sometimes!
21 Jan 2014, 02:11
Oh I dream about it *and* eat it!!

My TDEE is generous, because I'm taller, fat and active, so I have some wiggle room. I had a lovely French pastry on Saturday. But fasting has also taught me that I can be satisfied with less food. So I can have 1 pastry and stop. Or one small piece of chocolate and be satisfied with that.
21 Jan 2014, 02:44
I agree we have to search out authentic pastry here in the states. Having travelled to a dew other places, I realized nothing here is worth the calories. But, we do have decent bagel places & I agree with Tracieknits, there's a pumpernickel one with smoked salmon & whipped cream cheese w/my name on it too.
We're cooking mushroom stroganoff on spinach pappardelle for tomorrow dinner. Good thing I eat salad for lunch.
25 posts Page 2 of 2