The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

27 posts Page 2 of 2
I went out for a meal with a friend tonight, and had a very nice dessert - chocolate icecream with zabaglione in the middle and covered in crushed hazelnuts :bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes: :grin: luckily my fast day was YESTERDAY :wink:
@manderleyHi, this is my recipe, good old Delia, but I love it!

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type ... orbet.html
Oh dear I think I've just put on weight reading this thread.
Rhubarb strawberry trifle dare I say any more
Manderley wrote: I am trying to plan the Christmas eve, New years meals as I will go grocery shopping Monday and won't go back until 2014 after that (except for fruits and vegs but it's in another place) and I can't find any idea for the desserts.

Here's what I know so far

The alcohol during the meal will be a special vodka (bison grass vodka)
On the 24th it will be smoked salmon and grilled shrimps with a salad

On the 31th mussels

On the 1st duck breast with Brussels sprouts and dauphines potatoes

All with homemade appetizers, salads and cheese

But not idea whatsoever about the desserts. I don't want to buy them, but I don't want something too long to make as well. Plus I have to plan things as I will need to go use my parents' oven as mine is a tiny electric and not reliable one....

Please help......

Are we talking wicked or healthy dessert. I only know a wicked one. Buy the ingredients and throw them in a trifle bowl.

Black Forest Trifle. I love this.

Bought choc swiss roll, or you could make chocolate cake and break that up. I dont.
Made port wine jelly cut up cube like, morello cherries or stewed cherries, or even fresh, up to you. Chocolate custard bought or you could make it, I dont. Of course piped whipped cream, cherries to decorate, fresh glace up to you. Soak the choc swiss roll or cake in cherry liquor, I do, yum. Grated dark choc. My brain is fried, so this is out of order.
I will make this for my family for christmas dessert.
Silverdarling I had to look what the thing with a z was before realizing that I know it as a "sabayon" .... :grin:

Thanks Debs for the recipe.I'll definitely try it as a "trou Normand" as we call it here (it's something you take between dishes, usually for me it's pear liqueur sorbet) it will make things interesting :oops:

And I found this one http://foodwishes.blogspot.fr/2011/02/valentines-day-chocolate-mocha-pot-de.html

@zamal Wicked AND healthy desserts in fact, there should be room for a bit of everything as there are 6 to make....

We have a tradition here, the 13 desserts, it's the tradition in Provence and here's an article to explain why 13 and how it "works"

http://www.languedoc-roussillon.eu.com/desserts%20ofXmas.html
@Sue.Q Tiramisu is not my favorite but it gave me an idea. A mascarpone cream with a madeleines base and raspberries and shaved chocolate on top :heart:

Also I found a simple cream biscuits recipe (2 ingredients, self raising flour and heavy cream, couldn't be simpler), maybe I can try a batch with an apple filing.... :grin:
We have a tradition here, the 13 desserts, it's the tradition in Provence and here's an article to explain why 13 and how it "works"

I got quite excited when I saw this! Thirteen desserts - what joy! :lol: I was most disappointed - so many were just fruit and nuts - that's not a dessert as I know it! :cry: Although I do approve, in principle, of 13 desserts and having to taste them all! :grin:

We stick to the very traditional - Christmas pudding, Christmas cake, trifle, mince pies and chocolate Yule log - so I can't help you with suggestions for desserts but I do wish you the joy of eating whatever you decide to make! :smile:
:heart: Manderlay they all sound yummmmy :heart:
I may try them in the new year, I've just returned from shopping and bought the mascapone and now my OH knows its tiramasu he's so like a child lol.
Thanks for the tips and also plenty more ideas from everyone :heart: I can't believe you're not weighing in before Christmas day you've got such willpower :clover: Sue :clover:
Well if you are making 13 desserts you need some help.

I have a magazine here with ideas. Here is the list. Tell me the ones you like the sound of and I will post the recipe.

Mocha Meringue Pie
Passion fruit curd pavlova with elderflower cream
Frozen Christmas pudding
Carrot cake with cream cheese icing
Choc-hazelnut pavlova with marinated raspberries
Lime and pistachio cake
Berry pavlova with limoncello cream
Chocolate and pecan cake
Almond pavlova with ginger poached nectarines
Spiced layered apple cake
Lemon ricotta and almond cakes
Date and walnut cake with butterscotch toffee icing
Pomegranate jellies
Orange flower custards with dates
Winter fruit salad with saffron and vanilla
Pro secco torta with moscato syrup.
Panna Cotta. Delicious and easy to prepare.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/panna_cotta
OOOh @rawkaren, they all sound very tempting, especially the ricotta and almond cake and the lime and pistachio :like: :like:
27 posts Page 2 of 2