The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

15 posts Page 1 of 1
Welcome to the Foodies Corner!
30 May 2013, 11:05
This is a place - sort of a "coffee shop" (thanks Wendy Darling!) - for people to post on topics for anything related to the food they love and what they get up to foodwise on their feed days. I'm hoping people will use it to celebrate a cooking triumph, ask a question about where to get exotic ingredients, rhapsodise about a restaurant, review a new cookbook, even fantasise about tomorrow's feed day menu!

Happy eating everyone!
Such a good idea, the whole point is this WOE is that you are NOT told to stay away from your fave foods. I think it just makes you appreciate them more when you do eat them!

I will have a think about recipes, restaurants etc.
Already have my breakfast partly prepared to break my fast tomorrow inspired by KataMac's breakfast this morning ...I think. Anyway it is Shaksuka (hope spellings close) It is a scrummy spicy tomato sauce into which you poach your eggs. Served with some homemade crusty bread I think I will be in heaven
Great idea! I take my coffee black, thanks! I won't have a biscuit though as I've just made waffles for breakfast!

Just deciding what cake to make for my FIL's birthday on Saturday. Not got too many eggs at the moment having given them all away! DS and OH also need cake to stop them from fading away! So, two cakes from 6 eggs (so far...must go and check the coop...there's probably another 3 to add!

I'm thinking scones for the family and a Victoria sandwich filled with home-produced gooseberry jam. The question now is, do I bake the cake today (I'm fasting tomorrow) but it won't be as fresh, or early Saturday?
Caroline you could bake it today and stick it in the freezer...
Oh - Gooseberries - can I come to your place please Caroline? They are something I miss - I remember the lovely things my Mother used to make with them (and eating them straight off the bush as a child). They are only grown in Tasmania here and if I ever see them here, a small box is quite expensive. I am afraid I battle to grow anything edible as the possums think they should have first choice. I also envy you those fresh eggs although we do keep saying that we might get some chooks when we return from our UK trip later in the year.

Just a thought for those who love cookbooks - I have just added three more to my collection, two 5:2, from Mimi Spencer and the readable Kate Harrison, both with great ideas; but also The Hairy Dieter's - what a great idea; every recipe with calorie counts and very few recipes I wouldn't try.

Thanks for the 'coffee' will call again later.
Nice idea. I have to say I chuckled at the 'fantasise about tomorrow's feed day menu' idea - I do this ALL the time, often when lying in bed, I'll be mentally making tomorrow's breakfast and planning what I'm going to eat. Tomorrow it might just be the same as yesterday's breakfast as it was so good: toasted cinammon & raisin bagel, one half slathered with jam, the other with homemade almond butter and topped with two scrambled eggs sweetened with a bit of powdered stevia (or maple syrup) and vanilla. Heaven.

I'm doing 4:3 this week for the first time - mainly because my husband' away over the weekend with work and I'm out and about on saturday so will be a good opportunity to squeeze another fast in. But a more compelling reason to do 4:3 is to be able to eat more on the 4 non-fast days! Probably counter to the whole idea but that's how I look at things!
Oh what a nice place you have here!
I'm of to yhe gym for some yoga and when I am back I will bake some sour dough bread. It will be the base for a shrimp dish this evening. Chardonnay or Riesling with that is the question?
Have a tasty day!
I like this plan because I don't have to obsess about food ALL the time, just on fast days. I do think about food on fast days and what I will eat on my feast days. I truly love this plan and I see me sustaining this lifestyle forever.
Welcome to the forums, Kelbell66 :-)
love this idea. i work from home so fantasize about food all the time, as the kitchen is just there. :) today i want to make some cookies, but not sure to go with a standard (oatmeal choc chip) or try something new. i also want to make some oatmeal bars to take out with us (concocting a recipe right now).

have been wanting to make scones, but haven't tried yet. have been eyeing paul hollywood's recipe. :)
badtzmaru5 - if you are looking for a good chocolate chip cookie recipe, these are incredible. They are sort of healthy (although still contain a fair amount of sugar & fat) but they just taste wonderful. A bit expensive to make often with all the coconut oil but worth it for a treat.

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2013/05/ ... -chip.html
carorees wrote: Just deciding what cake to make for my FIL's birthday on Saturday. Not got too many eggs at the moment having given them all away! DS and OH also need cake to stop them from fading away! So, two cakes from 6 eggs (so far...must go and check the coop...there's probably another 3 to add!

I'm thinking scones for the family and a Victoria sandwich filled with home-produced gooseberry jam. The question now is, do I bake the cake today (I'm fasting tomorrow) but it won't be as fresh, or early Saturday?

Talking about cake... I love cake and birthdays are great when it comes to cake :grin:

It's my sister's birthday on Saturday and I am making her a Chocolate cake filled with a chocolate-hazelnut praline mousse, covered in crème Parisienne and topped with a shiney chocolate ganache.

I can't wait till dessert time Saturday (Friday fast day and I was baking :bugeyes: ).
I am a real foodie. In fact, I make it for a living.
I'm always experimenting and am not afraid of trying new things.
Looking forward to joining in on here!
its my birthday on Tuesday and I can't stop thinking about the cake I am probably going to make myself. At the moment I'm thinking of either a coffee cake or something chocolatey with raspberries. Ahh so much choice!
15 posts Page 1 of 1