The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

26 posts Page 2 of 2
I have heaps of rhubarb growing this year and found a book on Amazon with great recipes. It is called "The Joy of Rhubarb The Versatile Summer Delight" by Theresa Millang. We have not tried all of the recipes (there are lots) but the ones we have tried are great. I bought this book on Amazon.
Early!...I'm used to the berries (krusbär) ripening in July (in Sweden). My daughter makes a delicious marmelade and of course you can mix with other berries in making saft (I never know what to call that in English, maybe "concentrate").
Here is a page of recipes you can check out. I am personally looking forward to my taste of svenska jordgubbar soon.
http://www.tasteline.com/Ingrediens/krusbar
What about rhubarb pie? Right now my rhubarb is coming in and I have been making rhubarb pie, strawberry rhubarb pie, last week I made mango rhubarb pie with champagne mangoes. I've read cherry rhubarb is pretty tasty too. I cut the sugar in half of most recipes I use and make a coconut oil crust, it's still tangy sweet and the crust is almost savory. Yum! I also dice it and freeze it, it keeps well.

I don't know if I've ever had gooseberries but I've picked the red currants we grow when they're green and freeze them until the raspberries come in and combine the two for raspberry currant jelly. I would guess they're fairly similar.
Dhana I am in need of the recipe for rhubarb and ginger jam, so you have won me
And I digress
Re another post of yours dhana Re sleep improvements a walk early in the morning sometimes does the trick, it something to do with the early morning light
Rhubarb syrup lovely drizzled over ice cream.
Yum need to get me some rhubarb as my plants very miserable this season while the sage alongside positively rampant
Some while back I had a sweet cicely plant in the garden - a few leaves of that took off some of the sharpness of rhubarb and goosegogs! Less sugar! Somebody's just given me a new plant, just two leaves at the moment, as I lost the other one.
Great ideas here! I'll get cooking after yesterdays fast day :smile:
tompan wrote: Early!...I'm used to the berries (krusbär) ripening in July (in Sweden). My daughter makes a delicious marmelade and of course you can mix with other berries in making saft (I never know what to call that in English, maybe "concentrate").
Here is a page of recipes you can check out. I am personally looking forward to my taste of svenska jordgubbar soon.
http://www.tasteline.com/Ingrediens/krusbar

No, the gooseberries aren't ripe yet...but we need to use up last year's from the freezer to make room for this year's! :-D
We get krusbär, svartvinbär and rabarber at our stuga but not enough to call it a glut :-(

Saft seems to be used for both fruit juice, cordial and squash as far as I can make out! :confused:
Just flicking through July's edition of Good Food magazine and there are a couple of gooseberry recipes in its "in season" section...one for Gooseberry flapjack crumble and the other for Gooseberry & Elderflower Yogurt Ice, both of which look very yummy!! If anyone fancied them I can type up the recipes :)
Hey, we've also just used up the last lot of gooseberries from the freezer ready before the next lot are ripe.

You can make curd with both of them instead of jam for a change. Yum! And if you make enough of either curd, you can use it in a meringue pie (instead of lemon - delicious)

The most divine jam I ever had was my mum's rhubarb and redcurrant - absolute heaven and worth a try.

Gooseberry and elderflower sorbet is wonderful. I've also come across a recipe for spring pudding (like summer pudding only with gooseberries obviously! I haven't tried it yet, but I think I will this year.

I grew up in the great rhubarb triangle and still live only a stones throw from it (when I was 10, we had a school trip to the sheds and I can still remember the squeaking noise of it growing) The Oldroyd family went to my primary school. In the houses I've lived in, it's been the first thing I've planted in the garden.

I love all the tart fruit, so have them all in the garden (in addition they are all expensive to buy) Rhubarb, gooseberries, red, black and white currants, elderberries, damsons. Gooseberries and currants all freeze well raw and I've got the kids trained in topping and tailing so it's a family affair dealing with them. For rhubarb and damsons I usually cook them first before freezing as that cuts the bulk down. We're quite happy to just eat them cold with a dollop of natural yoghurt.
26 posts Page 2 of 2