The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

17 posts Page 1 of 2
What about frozen fruits ?
27 Jan 2014, 10:09
I was doing my grocery shopping list and I saw my shop has now frozen pineapple and frozen mango that made me think, what do you think about frozen fruits ? Obviously I am talking about "nude" fruits with no additives whatsoever.

For those of you who like them, what do you do with them ?

Re: What about frozen fruits ?
27 Jan 2014, 10:14
Smoothies, fruit salads, jam, chutney (very nice pineapple chutney recipe for you!), garnishes (fruit coulis), icecreams...
27 Jan 2014, 10:36
Very handy I think. I have frozen raspberries here as I don't have access to good, fresh fruit. I mix them in my yoghurt, smoothies too. I don't imagine they have any less nutritional value either.
27 Jan 2014, 10:46
Frozen cherries! Delicious x
27 Jan 2014, 11:11
I always keep frozen berries on hand.
27 Jan 2014, 12:31
love and always have frozen raspberries. I refuse to pay the price for forced and chemically adulterated berries.
I use them in smoothies, cranachan and just to have in custard or anything.
Frozen mango is available here but with them being so cheap (I'm very lucky I know ) I haven't used them.
Have also used frozen blueberries but don't really like frozen strawberries.
27 Jan 2014, 12:33
I defrost them over night and add them to my porridge. My daughter makes a smoothie with them every morning with yoghurt and milk. THey are fab x
27 Jan 2014, 13:29
Thanks for the replies. I bought pineapple amd will try it later. Even still frozen, it smell wonderful.I may try rhubarb next time. The strawberries "scare" me a little as they seem to be quite soggy once defrost.

Blueberries and raspberries still are my favorites but they are quite expensive
27 Jan 2014, 13:45
:heart: Yes @Manderley We get fruits of the forest, they contain blackberrys /raspberrys black+redcurrants frozen here in UK very handy as a quick desert or nibbles. :heart:
27 Jan 2014, 15:32
Manderley, I agree about the strawberries, they don't seem to freeze well and end up all mushy once de-frosted. Okay if you just want to puree them but not much good if you need the whole fruit!
27 Jan 2014, 15:38
I don't really eat puree fruits. One exception though, I freeze very ripped bananas, cut in quarters, to make a smoothie with later.

Frozen pineapple is really really good and, during the summer, I see it becoming a nice cold sweet to cool down a little :razz:

So now I have in my freezer raspberries and pineapple and in cans mango, pear, apricot and peach. Plus the dry fruits (apricots, bananas and figs), and the fresh fruits (clementines and apples) that should be okay for the next few weeks :grin:
27 Jan 2014, 16:33
Frozen strawberries don't taste very nice as well as being mushy, yuk!
I always freeze blackcurrants, redcurrants and loganberries from the garden, but this year the loganberry will be dug out, it creeps all over the veggie patch and they are not my favourite fruit. I have some blueberry bushes to plant in the empty space, my garden has acid soil so they should do well.
Ooooh, can't wait for the warm weather, the first fruit is the rhubarb which is just peeping through the soil. I only freeze cooked rhubarb - if we have any to spare!
27 Jan 2014, 17:54
I get frozen berries..they're all nice except the strawbs as peeps already mentioned
Really handy to have in freezer
Defrost overnight for brekky either with porridge or with greek yogurt or in a smoothie
Also lovely inside a meringue shell for a low cal treat x
27 Jan 2014, 17:56
I watched a food documentary last year which had people blind taste tested for cooked fresh and frozen veg (okay, not fruit, but same deal) - they actually preferred the frozen. Apparently it is frozen so quickly after being harvested it's actually fresher than most fresh stuff by the time you buy it & use it. So, defo as good for nutrition & flavour, and a convenient option too :)
27 Jan 2014, 18:22
Frozen yogurt and frozen berries blitzed together in food processor make very nice yogurt icecream...
17 posts Page 1 of 2