The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

18 posts Page 1 of 2
What's for dinner?
23 Jan 2015, 12:56
Since I'm not fasting today I'm going aaaaall in when it comes to food and drinks :grin:

My menu today:
G&T with bean crisps ( delicious and fairly low carb)
GF Flat bread with caviar, sour creme and chives
- schnapps and beer to that (my danish husband insists on this)
Entrecote, baked potatoes, garlic butter and salad - with an organic cabernet
GF brownie with whipped cream and raspberries

What will you have for dinner today?
Re: What's for dinner?
23 Jan 2015, 15:08
What's G&T?

I love your idea of entrecote for dinner tonight (that's sirloin steak to the Americans here) with a baked potato and salad. I may have to copy you :-)

I don't have any organic cabernet, but I have nearly a case of Montepulciano d'Abruzzo which would go nicely.
23 Jan 2015, 15:16
I think G&T will be Gin and Tonic- it is in the UK anyway!
23 Jan 2015, 15:18
New Covent Garden Roasted Tomato Soup - 164 cals ... its a fast day here :grin:
23 Jan 2015, 16:20
I'll be going out to lunch with a friend in a few minutes, so I think tonight's dinner will be reheating the big pot of ratatouille I made the other day, probably preceded by brie with cranberry-orange chutney on crackers and a Tullamore Dew. I never have more than one drink in a day, but after 50 years of cooking (SO been there, done that) I enjoy a little buzz while putting the meal together. :grin: :shock: :grin:
23 Jan 2015, 16:48
I'm going to give this recipe a try tonight and serve it with cous cous:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1846 ... asil-sauce
And there will be wine, red wine :eat:
23 Jan 2015, 18:12
@Tracieknits - it was really good and I will not need more food for 18 hours or so :-)
@merlin - thats right, a Gin and Tonic. Standard friday procedure in this house :-) Drinks at 5 and dinner at 7.@RedRobin - sounds good as a fast day dinner!
@Noodle - sounds like perfect companion to couscous. I grew up on couscous since I'm half moroccan - we had it 3 times a day in periods when my dad was homesick...
@Marybeth - I wouldn't say no to some brie, chutney an tullamore dew - sounds delicious
23 Jan 2015, 18:52
Well as you are asking...it's a fast day for me and I've just had my dinner and tried something different!

Sainsbury's My Goodness Range - Chinese Chicken Chow Mein - 279 calories
Meringue Nest - 53 calories
Little pot of peaches - 46 calories
50ml single cream - -97 calories.

I thoroughly enjoyed it all and feel full...and satisfied...and all that for only 475 calories. That'll teach me to be more adventurous on fast days.
23 Jan 2015, 19:13
2 chicken thighs in home made harissa and a plain yogurt dressing, celeriac mash and stir fried cabbage and onion, with sesame.
23 Jan 2015, 19:33
I had homemade muesli for breakfast and a massive tuna melt for late lunch so I'm not having any dinner as I'm still too stuffed. I might manage a cupcake and a glass of wine though, it's a hard life :-)
23 Jan 2015, 22:50
My FD dinner was a chowder made with a stock from langoustine shells - but with mixed seaweeds instead of the fish and cauliflower rather than the potato. DH had a dollop of Boursin in his chowder. It was delectable!
26 Feb 2015, 06:26
Banana Oat Muffins and One-Tray Baked Cod Provençal for me today.
26 Feb 2015, 16:22
Baked Cod and Steamed veggies .. I know how to rock a non fast day :lol:

Might see if I have enough cals left for a low fat rice pudding ...thinking about dinner is taking my mind off the fact I am on a very long and boring conference call and really need the bathroom :-o
18 May 2015, 08:25
I was hungry today, but my hubs was sick so I didn't want to get into a big cooking frenzy. I don't know if it would sound good to anyone else, but it hit the spot for me: Some Salmon dip. I used a 6 oz. can of salmon, 4 wedges of La Vache qui rit, lime juice, 4 artichoke hearts (canned), a few drops of worcestershire and soy sauce, and jalapeno salsa--blended in a food processor. I ate about 1/3 cup of it with raw veggies and wheat thins. It really hit the spot and I think it was relatively healthy. That and some strawberries and I was good!
18 May 2015, 16:11
bordergirl wrote: I was hungry today, but my hubs was sick so I didn't want to get into a big cooking frenzy. I don't know if it would sound good to anyone else, but it hit the spot for me: Some Salmon dip. I used a 6 oz. can of salmon, 4 wedges of La Vache qui rit, lime juice, 4 artichoke hearts (canned), a few drops of worcestershire and soy sauce, and jalapeno salsa--blended in a food processor. I ate about 1/3 cup of it with raw veggies and wheat thins. It really hit the spot and I think it was relatively healthy. That and some strawberries and I was good!

Now that sounded nice, but wasn't quit sure of what the La Vache qui rit?
18 posts Page 1 of 2