The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

20 posts Page 1 of 2
Your thoughts on Cottage Cheese
16 Feb 2014, 04:52
Cottage cheese is a staple for me on fast days. I buy the low fat varieties and particularly like the Aldi brand. I eat it plain.

I find that cottage cheese keeps me quite full whilst waiting for the main meal as i skip breakfast and lunch but will consume CC and maybe some fruit alongside liquids.

I looked it up a little on the web and found the body building sites are really into casein in either the form of a powder or cottage cheese and in some cases the body building guys are swallowing Cottage cheese by the spoonfuls in order to get their daily needs for muscle building

eg http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthrea ... =132133553

http://fitmixer.com/amazing-muscle-buil ... ge-cheese/ says
... A 4-ounce serving of cottage cheese contains 120 calories and only five grams of fat, and the protein content per four ounces of cottage cheese is a whopping 14 grams! Cottage cheese contains only three grams of carbohydrates per serving and is relatively high in calcium, as well.

Cottage Cheese rates as a super protein food, closely followed by Tuna, turkey breast and eggs
http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/ ... lders.html

Not into muscle building but for 5:2 i find cottage cheese an important part of my diet on fast and non fast days. Some day soon in the spirit of making things from scratch i'll make my own but in the meantime i buy at least 4 big tubs of it to last a week.

Thoughts?
I fall in and out of love with it. I'm not a big dairy eater, but every now and then I do go for it. I had not appreciated the protein content, so thanks for posting it.
I have loved cottage cheese since I was a child in the 60's. My favourite way to have it is with salt and pepper (which seems to go against the grain of having something sweet and fruity with it,which I find repugnant). I like the creamed version with the highest fat content available as I have always found this has the best flavor. Hate dry curds :curse: :frown:

Thank you for reminding me about this healthy protein that I need to keep around; useful for my new plan to keep low carb.
I'm getting some in the next few days, you reminded me about it. Thanks, I like dicing up a sweet salty gherkin and a spring onion into it.

Now I'm hungry :smile:
I'm with you, judithn. Salt and pepper is the way to go. It's hard to find in Japan, and what I have found is the consistency of paste, but tastes ok. I've also been a fan since I was a kid.
I think cottage cheese is the work of the Devil. I hate it. :grin:

I grew up with it on the menu all the time as Mum was constantly on some diet or other and it always played a part.

I dislike the taste and the texture. *yukky yukky* I've tried to like it but I just can't.

Sorry to go against the grain, lol.
Love it but not with sweet things.
A new lunch staple for me is half a carton (about 150gm) plain cottage cheese mixed with half a tin of drained Tuna and a salad.
Here we don't have cottage cheese but what we call faisselle and is a bit similar to it. I learned to make it so I only eat the homemade stuff (the rennet I use is vegetarian)

http://en.petitchef.com/recipes/homemade-faisselle-cheese-fid-756019

http://www.leboudoirgourmand.fr/2011/11/13/faisselle-maison-et-sans-fromagere/

It's great with berries or nuts and honey :razz:
I eat tons of the stuff, not the low fat kind though as I find that tasteless. In the UK the brand I like best is Longley Farm, really creamy! I do wonder though whether it adversely affects my rhinitis as when I eat a lot of it my nose seems extra drippy! Sorry TMI but does anyone else find this?
Like callyanna I love the full fat version but as I don't have rhinitis I can't comment on that but a lot of folk with nasal problems find dairy products aggravate it.

Ballerina x :heart:
I agree with @Gail1963
The only cheese i really enjoy is halloumi x
I like cc, but have always eaten the fat free or low fat versions due to the ingrained fear of fat I grew up with - pretty ironic that the more fat I cut out, the fatter I got. Even in my dietetics program in college, fat was portrayed as the evil enemy, cause of the obesity epidemic & we looked for ways to provide flavor without it. Now of course, in large part to this forum, I am losing some of the fear of fat, adding some healthy fats in moderate amounts & losing weight. LSS, I will buy some full fat cc & try some of the yummy suggestions above - sweet & savory. I live near Wisconsin & all kinds of cheese runs in our veins. Now that I can eat it without guilt, I eat less of the real, high quality stuff & enjoy it more.
Gail1963 wrote: I think cottage cheese is the work of the Devil. I hate it. :grin:

That made me laugh out loud!! I think I'm with you on this one, though if I mix Cottage cheese with copious amounts of Pataks chilli pickle, it is quite bearable!! Other brands are available, but I can't spell them from memory!!
Completely agree with @Gail1963. Cottage cheese is the worst thing ever but I have to buy it for my husband and sons. @CandiceMarie halloumi is a big favourite in our house too. In fact we are big cheese eaters which is one of the reasons that we haven't gone vegan.
yes, bbq'd halloumi which has been marinated in spices and olive oil is delightful, yet very squeaky!
20 posts Page 1 of 2