The FastDay Forum

Forum & Progress Tracker Help

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Calorie counting
22 Jan 2014, 17:24
Hi guys - Ok have been a good girl and done a search :bugeyes: but couldn't find a topic for this

Do we have a topic or sticky somewhere with calorie counters please?
List of foods and how many cals etc.....
cheers Heather :smile:
Re: Calorie counting
22 Jan 2014, 17:33
Hi Heather

I think alot of use My fitness pal. I use this to record my fast days only (don't count on feast days!). However, not all their calories are correct, so sometimes I double check something on the wide web if it doesn't look right.

I did a spreadsheet before I started of the basic foods I was interested in and used this as a base.

MPF you can also pop your recipes in there, so if I do a batch cook I can log all the ingredients, then just select a portion and pop into my diary.
22 Jan 2014, 20:00
I use both Fitbit and Myfitnesspal. I wear a fitbit one so I have a better idea of how many calories I'm actually burning in a day. I have MFP and Fitbit linked because Fitbit's food database is DISMAL. So if I can't find my food in Fitbit, I enter it into MFP and it automatically ports into fitbit within about a minute.
22 Jan 2014, 21:05
I use an online resource called sparkpeople.com it is American so some of their foods are different, such as corn starch instead of cornflour, and their cup size is a few teaspoons smaller than ours. I too only use it on fast days, unless I hit a plateau and want to double check my calories.
23 Jan 2014, 11:01
thanks everyone x
Calorie counting
23 Jan 2014, 13:08
Hi @BlueHeather - in the past I've looked for this info in the stickies and failed to find it too... so I now "spam" this post that I've used before

... the definitive guide to what WILL make you FAT!!!

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/conten ... leA1_1.pdf

58 pages (4.5Mb) of entertainment and surprises - you wanted to know that that pound cake from 'Bimbo' in Mexico had 25g of carb in a serving, didn't you? :)

It has the carb grams per serving in the second right-most column, but it's well worth noting the Glycemic Load figure as that indicates how much the food is likely to spike your insulin. No other macronutrient information is given so, sadly, you'll need to cross reference to elsewhere for protein etc.

As to "how many carbs?" methinks Mark's Daily Apple is well considered:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-prim ... z2jQFfC36z

I'd suggest the USDA food reference database which has macro and micro nutrients (pretty much everything refers to this) http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list. A word of warning to non-USians - the carbs figure includes fibre, so knock the latter off for (what Atkins calls) 'net carbs', i.e. the ones you need to count.

It is probably the most definitive (and possibly the most reliable) list that's out there. The Atkins one is pretty huge too, but I've lost my link to it...

Happy low-carbing xxx FatDog
6 posts Page 1 of 1